PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Offer price tactics

Options
What are people's thoughts on the best tactics when attempting to negotiate a price with a vendor?

Say for the sake of argument I see a house listed at £200k but the most I am prepared to pay is £190k. Conventional wisdom would be to make an opening offer at a point below 190, maybe between 180 and 185, and negotiate from there. Is there a benefit in instead going straight in with the final offer of 190 and refusing to budge from there, do you think this gives the impression of being a more serious buyer?

There's probably no right or wrong answer here, I'm just curious as to your opinions. I'm currently leaning towards the latter option but that may be coloured by the fact I dislike haggling any more than I have to.

Comments

• aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    I would go in lower tbh then if the EA asks for Full and final offer you have somewhere to go up to.
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In my experience most sellers are conditioned to reject the first offer, so I would suggest the former approach might work best.

As ever, it depends on the individual vendor, and the particular property in question, as well as what other competition there is.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'd try a combination of both - go in at £185k (presuming you think it's worth that!) and say you don't think there's much if anything left in the pot. They always try to get more so maybe then jump a couple more grand. Or try £186k to sound a bit less like you're jumping up and offering in £5k increments.

If it's been on the market at that price for months, I'd go in lower or hold out for a reduction by them if they didn't accept my offer. I'd not leave it on the table or they'd be less inclined to drop the price later on.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think most vendors expect a buyer to go through the pretence or charade of haggling, even if it is a largely symbolic - an elegant if meaningless courtship dance if you will.

Not to do so might mark you out as a little odd - and a single "take it or leave it" ultimatum would probably invite more people to leave it than take it. I think your first approach is therefore more sensible.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Also bear in mind an offer is not just about the price. Along with your offer, let the agent know you've employed a fast legal team (not the cheapest online conveyancers), you will take a view on some issues if they are time hurdles (eg obscure searches), you'll ignore trivia in the survey report, your finances are already in place, you've already sold and are in rented etc.

If you've yet to arrange finance and your existing property is not sold (if you have one), then you are not in as good a place as someone who is sorted and ready to go.

When I moved last, I had already sold, was near exchange, didn't want a survey etc and got a substantial discount off the asking price. There was another buyer in at full asking price but their sale had just fallen through so I was able to step in and secure the property at, to me, a very good price.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to have another view. When I was looking there were some properties that were extremely popular. At this point there wasn't much point haggling and starting low as there were always going to be others putting in offers.

For these I always just put in my final and best offer, a couple I lost out on as there were other bids higher, one went to final and best offers which I re-submitted the same offer and also lost out on, and finally I got one.
  • n217970
    n217970 Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had success with making a nice rounded offer - say 185,000 expecting it to be rejected before going back with a "I've done my sums again and its the very top of my budget" offer of something weird like 188,672 - making it look like I've been checking down the back of the sofa for spare cash.

Its worked 2 out of the 3 times I have done it, in both cases I would have been prepared to pay 3-5k more. In the case it didn't work I walked away as vendor was unrealistic on price after being on the market 12 months. It was repo'd 6 months later and sold for quite a bit less then I offered and hugely less then the asking price. Mad.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    Thanks for the comments and useful advice everyone, interesting to her your views.
    Also bear in mind an offer is not just about the price. Along with your offer, let the agent know you've employed a fast legal team (not the cheapest online conveyancers), you will take a view on some issues if they are time hurdles (eg obscure searches), you'll ignore trivia in the survey report, your finances are already in place, you've already sold and are in rented etc.

Oddly enough pretty much all of those apply to us, the sale of our old property has now completed, we have sufficient funds in the bank to allow for a 30-35% deposit, for conveyancing we will use the same solicitors we've used twice before. Good tip about the surveys, we will likely go for a full buildings survey but the aim is to identify major issues, we have no intention of attempting to renegotiate the price based on survey findings which would come under the categories of routine maintenance or 'to be expected for a property of this age'.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There's as many "right ways" as there are vendors.

TBH, if I was the vendor of a £200k property, and your maximum was £190k, I'd be more inclined to consider it if you came straight in at £190k and said "Look, this is it, take it or leave it". If you say £180k, then go to £190k (especially if you go via £185k), I'd be more inclined to think "They're bluffing and will come nearer".
  • hutman
    hutman Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    depends on the demand for the property; it has an inverse relationship with haggling power.

if the property is starved of viewings and offers, assuming the estate agent is not lying, then i would go 20% below what your max is. another factor to consider is how desperate the seller is; perhaps this is the best scenario for those hoping for some savings.

the market is somewhat begrudgingly moving towards a more even playing field between seller and buyer. transactions have dramatically reduced and the brexit waiting game has assumed. good news to some extent for our generation rent of first time buyers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure