Facing up to bankruptcy!.. need help!

Options

Comments

• KJ2886
    KJ2886 Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I had a letter today informing me my that I have my phone call tomorrow and im worried about it now.
    I also have some forms to sign but they have to be witnessed by someone... And i dont know who can witness it!
  • KJ2886
    Options
    I had my interview today! Lasted 30 mins but dont think it went well!
    Think I might end up with an IPA and BRU :/
    When asked if i have say £100 spare each month to pay for an IPA and how much I was paying to credit cards when i was paying them as it was more than £100 and about the gambling and may have more questions for me about the taking on the cards and the expectations of repayments of getting credit I couldnt pay back

There was a couple things I forgot to mention and say in my interview I wish I had now and not sure if ill get the opportunity now or how to go about it! :(
  • Dell2u
    Dell2u Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh dear, but this was probably going to happen due to gambling debt. I am fully expecting the same as majority of my debt gambling too. I'm prepared to take whatever punishment is meted out... I have no assets anyway and am used to surviving on tiny budget each month.

U are further down the road than me to getting some stability in your life. Hope it gets better for you and keep us updated on your situation.
  • KJ2886
    Options
    Its a catch 22 really! I reduced lots and made lots of cut backs to pay for credit cards yet and hadnt missed any payments until 4-5 months ago to now with a bankruptcy making the most of allowences to avoid an IPA or one too big makes them question about getting the credit in the first place if my income/outgoings havent changed :(
  • KJ2886
    Options
    Had a letter today about an IPA of £180 per month!!! eek!

When I did my income and expendidure for the application I had a lot less than this listed and a lot of my income is benefits!
    Feeling very stressed out now! :(
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    KJ2886 wrote: »
    Had a letter today about an IPA of £180 per month!!! eek!

When I did my income and expendidure for the application I had a lot less than this listed and a lot of my income is benefits!
    Feeling very stressed out now! :(

I've not actually challenged one before. But an IPA is only an IPA if you agree. If you object they have to either move a bit or force it into an IPO.

You first need to see how this has been calculated. They should only be taking from your earned income (not benefits) and then only what is genuine surplus after reasonable expenditure on essentials.

National debtline may have more experience of challenging an IPA
  • KJ2886
    Options
    Ill ring them on monday and ask for some advice! It just seems so much based on my income with benefits

Also Im not sure what happens with council tax with bankruptcy, I wasn't in arrears but read different things online saying that even if not in arrears the current tax year is automaticcally included?

My bank accounts frozen now too and even having trouble getting a basic one opened in time. suprised how quick its all happening!
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    KJ2886 wrote: »
    Also Im not sure what happens with council tax with bankruptcy, I wasn't in arrears but read different things online saying that even if not in arrears the current tax year is automaticcally included?

This is true, now - Kaye v South Oxfordshire

https://debtcamel.co.uk/council-tax-insolvency/
  • KJ2886
    Options
    I thought that might be the reason for the £180 IPA rather than £80 mentioned from the OR as I pay £90ish for Council Tax but none of this had been mentioned and the IPA is for 3 years and obv this years Council Tax is only to April!
    Looks like I have a few more bits to sort out!
    Thank you again for all your help!
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Hi yes I think you are right that what you would have paid in council tax is included in your I.P.A.
    When you get your bill for next year you would contact your your O.R and a new S.O.A will be completed, if everything else is still the same your I.P,A will be minus your council tax bill.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure