Everyday Ordinary Man Approaching Full Retirement at 59.

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Decided to open one of the new NS&I Investment Bonds introduced by the government. Have put in the maximum of £3000 for the fixed 3 years. May not be as great as made out, but enables me to put some money away at 2.2% for 3 years, rather better than most are offering right now.
  • savingpennies
    Options
    So glad I discovered this thread as a lot of it resonates with me.
    I'm an ex- FE teacher, of nearly 32 years, but only 29 years count for my pension as the early years were part time. I planned to pack in working in the summer of 2015 but thought I could manage one more year, until my youngest graduated. Sadly, I hit a brick wall, metaphorically speaking, in November 2015 and was off work with work related stress, until I finally finished in June 2016 at 58.

My other half took voluntary redundancy at 56 and decided he did not want to find a full time job and took on intermittent work as a management consultant until he was 60. At which point he cashed in two private pensions. His final salary pension is due this August when he is 62 and I have decided to take mine now at 59.

Because he finished working before me, it gave us the time to think about what we wanted to do when we both finished working. We have a list of places we want to travel to, crossing Canada by train is one of them. I was worried I would miss the intellectual challenge of work but finding the U3A and starting a part time MA with the OU means my brain is fully occupied. My husband has started researching his family tree and is able to go bird watching more and see his beloved football team at every home game. We now also have the time to go to the local gym to keep fit and healthy.

For the first time in years, I feel really happy and content, rather than permanently tired and stressed. I now sleep all night and have fewer migraines. The only problem now is arthritis but by keeping my weight down and keeping active that is manageable.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    Tilly Tidying:
  • bournefree
    bournefree Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Savingpennies,

Your post really resonates with me. My sleep patterns are awful; it is a real struggle to engage with the job, which (when I'm engaged) I do fine. So glad that you are happy now. Waiting for the outcome of my voluntary severance any day now, and feeling incapable of doing anything much in the interim! Has anyone else felt like this?
  • System
    Options
    I hope you all enjoyed the Bank Holiday weekend! May 1st today, just 61 days to the end of my present contract! 23 more working days for me until then!
    Finances plodding along ok. Just wish I had saved more! Yep Mr Doubtful breaking in again. However determined to have at least three clear months before looking for alternatives. I have said that I will be available for private tutoring from October.
    Travel plans on hold a while owing to family health circumstances but hopefully for not too long.
    Would be good to have updates from others as well as some new contributors. Have a good week !
  • bournefree
    bournefree Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    Hello excelpaul and everyone!

Well, I have just paid the mortgage off! No doubt it will sink in over the next few days! Have also checked the bank accounts to make sure all the necessary adjustments made are ticking over to cover hubby not working from mid-May. I have also received my offer for voluntary severance for July 2018 and will be returning the signed form imminently. Had a rubbish weekend coughing and with a headache as I've caught a chill, so didn't make any progress on sorting out our summer holiday yet - that's this weekend's job!
  • WeeMidgie
    WeeMidgie Posts: 469 Forumite
    edited 2 May 2017 at 7:17AM
    Options
    Congratulations bournefree on paying off the mortgage! It is a marvellous milestone to reach.

All looking good, Excelpaul, and I hope your remaining days of employment pass well and quickly.

I am now retired :j or should that be, reborn? :rotfl: A new life, for sure. One I'm very grateful to have reached. It's a transition, though, and even positive changes mean adjustments, and not just to finances. So it will be interesting what comes up over the next few weeks and months.
  • Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 2,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I thought I would update with a few less positive thoughts, and maybe try to change my ideas.
    Although overall I am very happily retired, I do find myself getting lazy and wasting time. I suppose I am allowed to but at times I do feel guilty!
    The problem is that I actually sometimes have too much time on my hands, or I want to do things, go places but not on my own, and my husband, although officially retired, is busy working.
    I do have my own interests which get me out and about, mixing with others., I also do two days a week voluntary work which is very fulfilling, and I have family around.
    I spend a lot of time online, especially doing family history, but also playing games, banking, and chatting on forums.
    I don't spend much time doing housework, though I probably ought to do more. I am not one for spending money easily, though I have just paid out a tidy sum to get the drive done. money is not a problem.
    I have a bucket list, but gradually I am mentally crossing things off as realistically I know they will not happen. On the other hand maybe I need to make an effort to make sure that some of them do happen, before I get too decrepit! A balance between realism and optimism is needed.
    I have now been retired nearly ten years, and I could easily have another twenty five years ahead of me.
  • System
    Options
    Newly Retired
    Many thanks for your contribution. I wouldn't worry too much. You seem to have a balanced and interesting lifestyle. You seem to have grown into retirement very well. Stop feeling guilty about simply doing what you want to do! In my experience if you really want to do something you will.
    Take care.
  • Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 2,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I know that sometimes I need to make the most of opportunities that come my wAy, or even make more effort to do things slightly out of my comfort zone. I am sure it would be worth it.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a bucket list, but gradually I am mentally crossing things off as realistically I know they will not happen. On the other hand maybe I need to make an effort to make sure that some of them do happen, before I get too decrepit! .

If you have a realistic bucket list then surely they are things that you really really want to do in which case I think you need to start planning to do one or two of them now.
    It would be sad if a few years down the line you suddenly realised that there were things you passionately wanted to do but it was then too late and impossible.

If there are things you want to do, or places you want to go but not alone can you not go with a relative or friend?
    You could even try going alone- there are lots of opportunities for singles. Many of the people taking part are in a relationship but the other half isn't interested / is working / has better things to do!

and as to house work? what's that????!!

It's about enjoying what you have and making the most of it.
    Enjoy and have fun
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure