Options

Comments

• spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 April 2017 at 12:17PM
    Options
    Morning all. :wave:

At the weekend I discovered a "daily wash" cycle on our new washing machine (the old one finally packed up about 2 months ago, and the new one knocked a hole in our savings). At first I thought this daily wash was fixed, but I can actually change the temperature and the spin speed. The wash *was* taking 2 hours 50 minutes :eek: But this new daily wash takes between 28 minutes and 55 minutes. So I'll be using that one in future.

I didn't do any baking with our eggs, but because I didn't buy any cake or puddings or sweets last week (which saved over £16 on our weekly budget), I've not had them to eat either and I managed to lose weight! :dance: AND - shock, horror - nor did I starve! So I'll be doing that a bit more in the future too.

The seedlings we sowed in the greenhouse (another hole in the savings) on 1 April are doing really well and the ones sowed 2 weeks later are also starting to show. This coming weekend, though, we start to sow outside in the raised beds, and Mr Spendy is making chicken-wire-covered frames for each of the raised beds to keep the chickens off (we rescued 6 ex-caged hens in December).

Here's this week's list, then:

* Write a meal plan and stick to it
    * Complete WiP today, so I can invoice on Friday
    * Start new WiP tomorrow
    * Annual SC review
    * Use washing machine on "daily" wash to save time and energy
    * Bake some low-fat cakes/puddings
    * Try and keep the weekly shop to within £75 again
    * Raise invoice(s) on Friday
    * Sow seeds outside in raised beds at weekend
    * Plant out chitted potatoes at weekend

Good luck, everyone! :cool2:
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yes, such a relief on the school front - we had significant issues 3 years ago with my other one and couldn't face not having a school again :( Not just that, but no-one was bothered either, we were just left to fix it! Oh well, that's a distant memory and they'll soon be at the same one, which is all good :T

so today, I'm working from home so will get a few jobs done too:

Check banking, surveys and FPL
    Make follow up will appointment, ( will is being done for free so must do this)
    Washing outside to dry in the breeze. I wasn't going to wash today but then one small had an accident so changed both beds and I'm sure it'll dry post a drizzle and I can put it straight back on.
    meals from stores/planner, must get 2 YP out of freezer to go with smalls sausages
    one thing off annoying thing list
    make wish list of seeds if I end up buying some more after payday on Friday
    log into work payroll and generate my payslip to see if changes have been applied so i can update my sheet
    Take some returns back to n£xt and bank cheque in town go to £ shop and get some batteries
    Don't buy anything else in town
    Pay cheque for after school club
    Register for another club DD is interested in, only for 8 weeks and you get lots of 'stuff' my very kind parents said they would treat her :D

Think that's about all, have a good day people :)
  • mumofthetwins
    mumofthetwins Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Guys
    I haven't been on here in a few years but im coming back with my head hung in shame. I have decided I need to tackle head on and as OH has just moved in I don't have as much spare cash (he is a pain but im determined to change is money wasting ways)

so today im at work but I plan on the following
    Check banks and cc
    Pay Council Tax
    Post some ebay stuff that sold last night
    Meal Plan and NOT go shopping for bits and bobs (these end up costing a fortune)
    workout when I get home and plan for my other job when I finish workout.

so big hello again and hoping to start saving those pennies
    Lisa
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hello my lovelies

DNMS - thanks for the kick off! I'm hoping to sort out my veg plot this weekend - as a first timer grower I want to try rocket (and/or other salad leaves), blueberries and beetroot. Then do a sack of potatoes (done this before and it was ok) and then a tub of mint. What do you think?

Yorkshire - Take care of yourself - make sure you do something for you.

Bob - nice to hear from you - fingers crossed all this overtime pays off. :T

Here's me:
    1. Cheapo porridge made in work with free-to-use milk :A
    2. Packed lunch - falafel salad plus yogurt, nuts and banana for snacking :cool:
    3. Jacket potatoes for tea tonight :)
    4. Just checked my cashback statement from work's scheme - apparently I'm still waiting on £156.47 from them! :T I'm sure about £101.97 of it but a bit sceptical the other money will come through... Will be a nice surprise if it does... :think:
    5. Need to check banking and reconcile YNAB - been a few unaccounted for spends this weekend with kitchen shenanigans :naughty: - I find it difficult when people are over - bought a few extra bits/booze and got take away on Sat night.
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Afternoon all and welcome back, mumofthetwins :)

I've just done another couple of surveys on PAc, I'm over 6 pounds now though all the ones I'm eligible for seem to come up during work hours :(

I brought in two YS wraps today, one for lunch and one for end of day as I'm staying after work to do my test layout for the job. The teens have YS sandwiches for lunch and some SFC steaks to cook for dinner, I'm hoping there won't be a new mountain of washing up. The SFC steaks were full price but appealing enough that I won't get a phone call asking for a takeaway.

Auby and the courgettes are open to the elements today, forgot I'm staying late, I will have to entrust DS to put him back in his storm lantern if it turns chilly later.

Nothing much else of note, good to see you back Bobarella :)
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,175 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello Monday Money Savers,
    Veggie garden plans abandoned due to several heavy rain showers. A few money saving things though:
    *Overnight laundry on cheap tariff. Now drying on heated airer because of the rain but still cheaper than a tumble-dryer. Washer re-loaded for another cheap wash tonight.
    *Did a quick budget check-in to see if a cheque had been cashed. It had so made sure account will stay in credit till payday (Thurs).
    *Paid 2 purchases off our CCs, which were only used to maximise points for vouchers.
    *Paid another 50p into my sealed pot.
    *Entered 2 prize draws.
    *Checked ebay. Have gained a couple more watchers.
    *Washed hair & let it dry naturally to save electricity.
    *Used some leftovers as the basis for my lunch.
    *Made bread dough in BM (for tonight's pizza).
    *Did rubber ham hock....this one was the princely sum of £2.50.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Knit
    *Steam living room curtains. My redecoration budget will go badly to pot if I buy new ones.
    That is it for today. I have to go out tonight (on election business) but it looks like the meeting I was going to tomorrow morning may be cancelled, so I am looking forward to having a whole day of productivity at home......think will prioritise more ebay listings.....as in a LOT more.
    Cheers all,
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    Yes, such a relief on the school front - we had significant issues 3 years ago with my other one and couldn't face not having a school again :( Not just that, but no-one was bothered either, we were just left to fix it! Oh well, that's a distant memory and they'll soon be at the same one, which is all good :T

Think that's about all, have a good day people :)

really good news! Wow sorry I don't remember you posting about that, maybe you kept it under your hat. do you live in an area with a middle school system? Like I think little Miss Perps is older than entry into primary but not old enough to be going to secondary? I remember you having little Perps! :)
    Hello my lovelies

DNMS - thanks for the kick off! I'm hoping to sort out my veg plot this weekend - as a first timer grower I want to try rocket (and/or other salad leaves), blueberries and beetroot. Then do a sack of potatoes (done this before and it was ok) and then a tub of mint. What do you think?

La E I'm still such a newb I just plant stuff and hope for the best! If you want more expert advice then I think foxgloves and Dawn are your ladies :p

That said all good choices - apparently with blueberries you need a couple of varieties as they like cross pollination. Rocket and salad leaves are good and easy to grow. I find lettuce a bit hit and miss if I'm honest but I got a reputable seed pack of cut and come again salad leaves from a garden centre and it has grown sufficiently for us to start harvesting. I'm going to take it out of it's current container, spread it out and plant in a bigger one ;)

Hi mumtotwins :hello: it's been a long time since we've *seen* you! No need to hang your head in shame! Always the more the merrier on this thread! Ha we now have 2 mums to twins here :D
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 24 April 2017 at 4:18PM
    Options
    ziggy2407 wrote: »
    Good Morning All

DNMS - Thanks for starting us off today
    Bob - Great to see you back, we missed you, tried to pm you
    Yorkshire - Hope you feel better and brighter soon

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

Gosh it's chilly this morning, nothing much doing here so just another little list

Packed lunch for DH & DS - Done
    Check Bank & make PAD - Done
    Washing & line dry (if stays dry) -
    Ironing -
    Craft -
    Continue purge on emails -
    Enter a few comps -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Lucky Phone, Ashleigh, Numberplatelotto, FPL -
    Read -

Have a great day all!

C x

Oh Im very sorry not to have recieved that. I have my inbox on contacts only after Trollgate. So I thought I had all my buddies on there, will check it out now.

Hi La E thank you FVD
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 24 April 2017 at 6:56PM
    Options
    really good news! Wow sorry I don't remember you posting about that, maybe you kept it under your hat. do you live in an area with a middle school system? Like I think little Miss Perps is older than entry into primary but not old enough to be going to secondary? I remember you having little Perps! :)

We've been around a while haven't we :rotfl: eldest perp is going into yr3, but not middle school system here. All in one until year 7 when they go to high school. I'm not sure whether I was posting at the time, I can't remember to be honest. I tried to block it out :o its one of the contributing factors to some of our debt though as DH couldn't get work as we didn't know if she would be at school or not and if she was where it would be. So although we tightened our belts it was difficult living on only 1 salary when we weren't expecting it. We only found she had a place 2 days before she started :eek: otherwise she would have been at home with DH so we couldn't risk him taking work. Now we'd be in a much better position but you live and learn.

Good day here. Was good in town, parked for free and not a supermarket so I wasn't tempted to pop in. I did get some cards as I realised I needed some that weren't available last time I went. They had an offer on for 10'cards for £1. Amazing quality, put 2 of the cards I'd already picked up back. £9.60 spent on 20 cards, including 2 weddings, 2 christenings. Money from present fund :D all filled in my card box by month too. cheque banked too and refunds taken back.

I did a p1necone first things and they've already confirmed payment so I have withdrawn to paypa1. I've also updated another ongoing survey I'm doing that I should get £5 voucher for when done. Have a product to test which I'll do in the morning too and that'll be another £3.

Have you had your 1poll money yet foxgloves? I think I was a day behind you, hoping it to be any day now.

Steak from value meat box for tea :D must do some fleabay listings tonight.
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,612 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DNMS Thank you for starting this weeks thread.

We came away on holiday on Thursday, this is my first time since 8 am Friday with internet access. I have yet to catch up last weeks thread, but I wanted to subscribe to this weeks so I didn't loose you.

So far holiday spends have been very low :)
    We went out for our main meal on the way down, £32.50. Friday I took the eldest 2 plus 3 other HE children to science camp at the MET office, it was free :money: and very well organised. Those that didn't go entertained themselves swimming (free on site) walking to the harbour, exploring locally, they did treat themselves to icecreams but that is reasonable. After science camp we all went swimming, meet up with our friends staying locally, had a movie, pizza & popcorn night ( food from Tesco and Lidl, Movie from friends collection), Sunday everyone went for a walk to OH's favourite place on earth, taking a picnic with us, we had a beautiful location, good food, great company, and perfect weather :j . We went swimming late afternoon and then down on the beach in the evening, the children even felt it was warm enough to go in the sea, none of the adults were mad enough. Today we used our National Trust for Scotland membership to visit a NT property we treated our selves to a coffee or hot chocolate and cake, followed by a swim. Tonight we are foing to catch up with Dr Who on iplayer. We have been taking packed lunch with us and buying food in the supermarkets, most things have been free or included :j

Must go dinner is cooked. Have a lovely week.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business