Credit Checks When Joining The Armed Forces

Options
I'm wondering if anyone can help me please.

I want to join the Army once I've finished University next year and when I've spoken to the careers office on the criteria and what I need to pass etc. They only mentioned the fitness tests, the BARB tests and Medical check...

But I've just read somewhere else that they do a credit check? I have really bad credit history due to a previous abusive relationship, including a CCJ (even though I had no idea that I owed money as I moved away and by the time they found my address I already had this CCJ which I paid straight away). I am paying off the other debts at the moment monthly. Will this mean I won't be able to get in even if I pass everything else? I've never been bankrupt or in trouble with the police and as said before I wasn't even aware I owed anything when this court letter turned up. I'm in about £2,000 worth of debt now which is being paid off monthly... but will all this effect me getting in?

Sorry if this isn't the place to post this, just wondered if anyone knew due to it being a debt issue.

Many thanks x

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I never had a credit check done on me and I'm not aware of anyone else having a credit check done. Trust me, there are people in the Army who have a lot worse things than a CCJ!
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • Marksfish
    Options
    It used to be a military offence to have debt in the forces. As a young airman, I had my cheque book and cheque card (remember them?) taken from me by my CO and was given an allowance after I got into debt. I was told if it happened again I would be in trouble.

Of course, things have changed since then and i'm not sure how much debt is now a problem. Ask the question before applying to save any trouble down the line. If the CCJ shows as settled and you have the rest under control, shouldn't be an issue.
  • Navybhoy
    Options
    Wouldn't worry about it. I know people serving who have gone bankrupt. The key is just be honest about it and flag it up with the AFCO.

Good luck
  • curty510
    Options
    Yes, you will have a credit check carried out on you by DBS, everybody in the armed forces has to have a minimum of SC check carried out on them, other roles require the higher DV check. This is done on application and every 10 years whilst still serving. They are checking to see if you can be a security threat, ie blackmailed for information.

Just be honest with them, as they probably know the answers already, do not try to hide any information at all.
    debt free, savings in the bank
  • curty510
    Options
    and no, a £2000 debt that you are paying off wont stop you getting in!
    debt free, savings in the bank
  • enginesuck
    Options
    Make sure to declare anything they ask, including the CCJ. Be honest. I assume you are hoping to be commissioned if you are looking to join after University, Integrity is one of the qualities they will be looking for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure