Applied for Lloyds credit card online - website technical issue?

Options
Hi folks,

So I've applied online for a Lloyds Platinum Balance Transfer card - 0% for 32 months and 0.8% transfer fee.

Filled in all the details, and got approved with a higher APR which I'm not concerned about as the balance I want to move it relatively low.

However, I went through the additional sections such as setting up a direct debit (No), do a balance transfer (No - will do online) and set up online banking account (Yes). I was on the very last step (6 of 6)... hit Continue and got an error! (can't post link - says 'It looks like something's gone wrong')

To be clear, it is NOT a browser or connectivity problem, but a problem within the webpage itself. There is no reference number or error code, just looks like nothing happened at the end.

Called Lloyds and spoke to New Applications team - the guy basically said he can see the application, I confirmed everything I gave them in terms of proving who I was, even told him what the credit limit was that they gave me. He said he could remove the application from my credit profile and I could reapply online or he can do it over the phone...

Said I wasn't keen to reapply because it would look negative on my credit profile, and he offered to do it over the phone but couldn't offer the same card or offer and also couldn't guarantee it would be successful. He raised a case internally with the IT team and will call me back tomorrow , but unfortunately I am now in limbo.

It seems incredible to me that I can go through the entire process but they don't appear to be able to 'rescue' the application when something goes wrong?

I got two emails from them - one was Pre-Contract Credit Info and one was Adequate Explanation and Draft CCA... so they definitely have it and they will know what they need to know, but can they really just ask me to cancel the lot and reapply?

Any advice here? I am happy with the agreement I got and don't think it's fair I should potentially lose it because of some issue on their end. Surely someone should step in and manually fix it?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They can ask you to reapply if they're unable to fully rescue the application. Just because you think they should, doesn't mean they can.

I would leave it while they investigate.
  • theteamcaptain
    Options
    They can ask you to reapply if they're unable to fully rescue the application. Just because you think they should, doesn't mean they can.

I would leave it while they investigate.

I understand that it's possible that they cannot recover it for technical reason - but surely it doesn't make sense to ask a customer to reapply and risk potentially being offered less favourable terms, as well refuse to honour the pre-contract agreement already issued the first time?

Also, what if it's bugged and it fails again because it already sees an application for the same personin the system, for example? There's lots of permutations that could put my credit profile at risk, which is why I think they should be stepping in and manually correcting it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's simply not worth their while in trying to chase a down a single low value application.

As for it rejecting you as a dupe, that's why I suggested leaving it - for them to either fix whatever went wrong or for it to be cleared out of the system.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There's lots of permutations that could put my credit profile at risk, which is why I think they should be stepping in and manually correcting it.
    Haven't they already addressed that particular concern by saying they'll remove the search, thereby reverting the credit profile back to where it was before you started?
    He said he could remove the application from my credit profile
    What do you believe the residual risks are after they've done that?
  • theteamcaptain
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Haven't they already addressed that particular concern by saying they'll remove the search, thereby reverting the credit profile back to where it was before you started?What do you believe the residual risks are after they've done that?

He couldn't tell me how long removing the search would take - and also he didn't seem to realise that multiple credit applications in quick succession is not a wise thing to do.

The residual risk is that they say they've removed it over the phone, but it doesn't reflect accurately in my credit profile at the time of reapplying - meaning I could potentially wreck the chances of getting the same deal I was already approved of based on the fact the automated credit check sees a very recent credit application.

This isn't uncommon as I've raised many cases with Equifax/Credit Expert in the past when I can see they do not have up to date credit information on my credit report (such as address changes taking 2-3 months to update for some credit accounts and not others).
  • Weybridge78
    Options
    Was this though moneysupermarket.com? We had basically the same issue with Halifax (twice). First time through moneysupermarket.com and second directly on website.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure