PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezer food labels

Options
Does anyone have any handy hints they use for labelling frozen food? I put a lot of soup, curry, bolognaise, lasagne, meatballs, pasta bake etc in the freezer in takeaway style plastic boxes, then have trouble working out what's what to defrost. I'm guessing regular sticky labels wouldn't last well - what do you all use?

Comments

• cutestkids
    cutestkids Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

I use a roll of masking tape and a marker pen.

Just cut off a length stick it to the container and write what is in it.

The advantage of using masking tape is that it peels off easily and does not leave any residue so is easy to wash the container to use again.

I get masking tape at the pound shop usually in packs of 2 and it lasts ages.
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 £579.62/ £579.62New challenge £155.73/£500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!£6609.20 / £7500
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    I got some brilliant labels from Poundland a couple of years back and I have never seen them there since. Although, I do still keep looking on the off-chance they get more in! Meanwhile, I too am using masking tape.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • crumblepie
    Options
    Another one who uses masking tape and a marker pen.
  • redfragglebiker
    Options
    Another masking tape and marker user here - It's a pretty cheap way of doing it too :D
    Everyone has a dark side... apparently mine is called Harold?!? :huh:
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    permanent marker , it just wipes off
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I use a strip of scrap paper and sellotape
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I also recomend --

Masking Tape and Marker pen.

(Masking tape sticks like tish to a blanket)
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    White board marker is the best. I've found tape just comes off.
  • natbags
    natbags Posts: 285 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    whiteboard marker, it stays on in freezer but them washes off, to reuse (very MSE)
  • snowleopard61
    Options
    Standard sticky labels but cut into small pieces - have had a large roll for years so it was more MSE to use that even though something else might be cheaper bought from scratch. They stick fine, all too well really; it takes quite a bit of scrubbing to get them off to reuse the container.

Or, if I use a freezer bag, I just write on the bag (before putting the contents in, obviously!:D). If you line a container with a bag and put the contents in like that and freeze it, the bag takes on roughly the shape of the container and you have the container free again. No good for 'stratified' type things like lasagne or fish pies, of course.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble
    Two things stand like stone —
    Kindness in another’s trouble,
    Courage in your own.
    Adam Lindsay Gordon
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts