DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 8

Options

Comments

• Jvic28
    Jvic28 Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    Options

We keep telling ourselves that 2016 isn't a long way off :)

It's not that far off. Compared to how I felt before the DMP when I thought I'd be in debt forever, the fact that I'll be debt free by 2016 feels AMAZING!!!:j
    DMP Mutual Support Thread Member No 190
    17/05/08 - Total on DMP: £10025.70
    07/05/14 - Total on DMP: £1666.20 DFD: July 2017!!
    Baby Tomos born 5th June 2009 - 6lb 5oz :j
    Weight Loss Target - to lose 60.8lb by NYE 2015 - 37.6lb TO GO
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    ailz95 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Not been on very much recently as my father who is 83 has been in and out of hospital. I have fibromyalgia and when I start worrying over things I just end up sleeping a lot - quite useful really - except for the dreams :D:mad:. Our dmp is ticking over nicely. It should be review month but as we doubled our payment in January - hubby was 60 in 2011 so in November 2011 we were given our Income Support almost doubled as when you're over 60 you need more money to live on. Can't think why. Payplan have decided that they will move our review to January each year - wonder if any creditors will complain that they aren't getting their annual rise!

We had thought we'd get £200 winter fuel allowance but unless your birthday is before 5th January you don't get it that year - so really 95% of people are 61 when they get it not 60 - more Government fudging.

When we went shopping this week loads of things had gone up in price - nothing to do with benefits/pensions/tax codes having gone up this week of course ;).

Hi ailz95 :)

Am sorry to hear that your father hasn't been well and you sound like you are having a rough time too, hope you are soon both well again.

Great news about doubling the payment to your DMP :T but not so good about the Winter fuel allowance and the ever increasing prices. MY OH must be sick of hearing me say "But it only cost x amount last week" :mad:
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    Jvic28 wrote: »
    It's not that far off. Compared to how I felt before the DMP when I thought I'd be in debt forever, the fact that I'll be debt free by 2016 feels AMAZING!!!:j

You are 100% correct of course :T

No more paying a bit then borrowing more every single month and never making any inroads into actually paying anything towards the actual debts. :mad:

2016 is close and we are determined to get it all paid off even sooner. Am going to have an ebay blitz this week and then maybe try and do a car boot sale. We have a house full of stuff that never gets used so it can all be used towards our DFD. Decluttering and de-debting in one fell swoop :j
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
  • jasperconran
    Options
    ARRGGGGHHHH I am so :mad: right now.

Metropolitan are doing my head in! both me and OH are with them. OH's credit card account with them has caused us nothing but grief.

We have written and written to them giving them the same details as CCCS (we are now doing our own dmp) and OH gave them the authority to speak to me.

Anyway everytime I ring, I get never received the letters time and time again. Ive lost count!:mad:

Anyway now received letter today from them saying they are passing OH's account to D G Solicitors:eek:

The letter says:- we are referring to your acccount to D G Solicitors who will contact you shortly. They have been selected to work with you to help understand your present circumstances and where possible agree an affordable and appropriate payment plan.

I wouldnt mind, I know hes owes about £7,000 but he also owes halifax £11,500 and blair, oliver and scott have been absolutely marvellous!!!

I am going to resend all letters to Metro via recorded delivery (again!) a******** but is there anything else I can please?

dont need this aggro as OH is on the verge of a nervous breakdown due to business being so bad:(

thanks
    LBM: April 2009 - honest debt figure: Secured: £0.00!! (paid back april 2017) unsecured: £53117.48 (roughly):eek: back with CCCS starting again:(
  • billinghamfan
    Options
    hi

Sorry I know I am in a good position but after getting a new job I thought that I would be able to move and pay more to my DMP and after doing a budget I have realised that I will only be £5 better off a month and this is after selling my car I fell a bit dejeted now. :(
    Total Debt: £4610.75
    Debt Free Date: May 2016.
  • wendy1950
    wendy1950 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Been advised to post this in this thread too Thank you
    Hi
    First time on here,
    I am in the process of helping my sister in law and her husband to sort out their debt,

They were called into their bank TSB years ago as they had to write a few post dated cheques, and offered a loan to help tide them over, well 10 years later after being called in each year to consolidate the loan and extend the overdraft they cannot cope any more, they are on a fairly low wage with one son at home, they owe £20,000.00 in total, mostly to TSB in a loan and overdrafts and with just a £1400 owe to Argos, I have been on to CCCS and the forms should be with her today we are going to fill them in and get them sent back straight away CCCS say it should be set up for 1st May, all good so far they will have to pay £200 per month for 99 months:eek:but hopefully will pay more as the time goes on,

I am not sure exactley what to do now, CCCS are sending the letter for us to send to the bank and Argos, she has opened another bank account and moving DD's over to this but as she has gone into an unauthorised overdraft now TSB have sent a letter saying they will be charging £5.00 per day for this, my SIL is obviously hoping interest on the debts will stop or it will never be paid off, but until CCCS contact them it will be adding up like mad, does this settle down?
    She is much too scared and upset to phone the bank or call in to cancel any DDs they may pay, so could she do a letter to the branch cancelling them all as of today and drop it in, would this work?
    she has been very upset and not well from the worry of all this and has only just asked me for help so I am sorting most of it for her until I can try and build up her confidence to handle these things again.

They have no CCards no CCJ's or late payments or arrears on anything up to now although this month may be different while we get the DD's sorted.

I have seen mentioned a letter on here to repeat re phone calls etc as said she cannot speak to anyone as she just cries, if she has scripted things to say she would be better when I am not there.
    Sorry so much to ask at first (more to come I fear)
    Hopefully someone can give me a little more info
    Thank you
    Wendy
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    wendy1950 wrote: »
    Been advised to post this in this thread too Thank you
    Hi
    First time on here,
    I am in the process of helping my sister in law and her husband to sort out their debt,

They were called into their bank TSB years ago as they had to write a few post dated cheques, and offered a loan to help tide them over, well 10 years later after being called in each year to consolidate the loan and extend the overdraft they cannot cope any more, they are on a fairly low wage with one son at home, they owe £20,000.00 in total, mostly to TSB in a loan and overdrafts and with just a £1400 owe to Argos, I have been on to CCCS and the forms should be with her today we are going to fill them in and get them sent back straight away CCCS say it should be set up for 1st May, all good so far they will have to pay £200 per month for 99 months:eek:but hopefully will pay more as the time goes on,

I am not sure exactley what to do now, CCCS are sending the letter for us to send to the bank and Argos, she has opened another bank account and moving DD's over to this but as she has gone into an unauthorised overdraft now TSB have sent a letter saying they will be charging £5.00 per day for this, my SIL is obviously hoping interest on the debts will stop or it will never be paid off, but until CCCS contact them it will be adding up like mad, does this settle down?
    She is much too scared and upset to phone the bank or call in to cancel any DDs they may pay, so could she do a letter to the branch cancelling them all as of today and drop it in, would this work?
    she has been very upset and not well from the worry of all this and has only just asked me for help so I am sorting most of it for her until I can try and build up her confidence to handle these things again.

They have no CCards no CCJ's or late payments or arrears on anything up to now although this month may be different while we get the DD's sorted.

I have seen mentioned a letter on here to repeat re phone calls etc as said she cannot speak to anyone as she just cries, if she has scripted things to say she would be better when I am not there.
    Sorry so much to ask at first (more to come I fear)
    Hopefully someone can give me a little more info
    Thank you
    Wendy

Hi Wendy :)

I am very sorry to hear about the problems your family are having but by speaking to CCCS, you have taken the first steps to start to help them on the journey to becoming debt free :T

Re Direct debits, do they have access to online banking with Llloyds TSB? I cancelled all my DDs with them online but if you do this, make sure you download all the reference numbers etc first ready to set the new ones up with their new bank.

Re Account charges, have your family told Lloyds TSB that they are entering a DMP? They need to give the reference number that CCCS will have supplied you with to Lloyds TSB, so that the bank know this is happening. Most creditors will give you 30 days breathing space when informed. I am not saying they won't add on interest and other charges but it can stop harassment by phone etc, which can be very stressful.

Re Ongoing interest charges, I have two accounts with Lloyds TSB, a credit card and an overdraft. They have been fine with the card and stopped interest after 6 weeks, unfortunately the overdraft is very different and they have actually increased charges. Every case seems to be different so there is no guarantee either way.

Have your family changed over any pay and/or benefits to the new bank? It is critical that they do this as soon as possible as Lloyds TSB can offset any payments into the account against debts owed.

The first few weeks of a DMP aren't easy but you sound like you are giving them tons of support :A This forum is a super place for help with everyone sharing their experiences, both good and bad. I have learnt so much from here already and am extremely grateful for all advice and support that has been offered to me. So stick around and try and get your family to pop in and say hello too :)
  • wendy1950
    Options
    Hi
    Thank you for your reply.
    My SIL does not bank on line something I am in the process of reassuring her it is a safe way to do things, I do bank on line which is why I was not sure how to sort the DD's without just a click lol,

we think she needs to cancel the dds as TSB may pay them and compound the debt and overdraft charges, the new bank dont do a switch over for them but said we just need to contact the companies and give the new sort code and account number to them which we plan to do tomorrow.
    Could someone point me towards the letter templates mentioned on here I cant see them.
    Tsb have indeed kept giving her money they know she can not afford last time she was called in they gave her some income and outgoing forms and a list of all DD's and codes and told her to see the CAB so they know something has to give. my brother and sister in law (my side of the family) were bank managers for TSB for a long time (not now) and they are appalled and say she should see the ombudsman re this as the advice given was very bad, but she just cannot cope with anything else at the moment but it is something I will look into when everything is set up and settled down, also she did ask the bank whether they had paid PPI on the loans TSB said not since 2005 but that seems a bit of a coincidence to me considering this is the cut off point!!! so again I will look into this for her when things calm down, she does want to pay her bills but is really frightened of facing the bank etc, me I will give them what they deserve but I have to do what she wants I am ever hopeful her confidence will return.
    She has never done any banking or the like online (although she is okay with somethings online) not bills etc I am going to show her how to do all of this, so she can see how things are going.
    I must admit I did think CCCS would do most of the work but reading some posts it seems she will have to be more proactive hope we can sort this:cry:
    Thanks again
    Wendy
  • wendy1950
    Options
    Sorry missed some of your questions.
    the paperwork from CCCs is due today or tomorrow, I am not sure if she has post today as she is at work.
    We have been told there will be a letter in there to send to the bank etc.
    I have got her to reopen a dormant account she has and wages go in there from this week (they get paid weekly) so that bit is okay now just the dd's to sort so hopefully we can sort those tomorrow.
    On the plus side she only owes to the bank and Argos and a very small one to a catalogue so it should be easy to organise once set up although the interest on the overdrafts could be a pain if they dont stop it.
    I really think if they add to the debt it will ever be paid and they will have to go bankrupt, at least they will have tried first, they are in local authority housing and don't own a car and certainly don't live the high life with just 1 holiday in 20 years!! but she does want to try first.
    Thanks again
  • jasperconran
    Options
    ARRGGGGHHHH I am so :mad: right now.

Metropolitan are doing my head in! both me and OH are with them. OH's credit card account with them has caused us nothing but grief.

We have written and written to them giving them the same details as CCCS (we are now doing our own dmp) and OH gave them the authority to speak to me.

Anyway everytime I ring, I get never received the letters time and time again. Ive lost count!:mad:

Anyway now received letter today from them saying they are passing OH's account to D G Solicitors:eek:

The letter says:- we are referring to your acccount to D G Solicitors who will contact you shortly. They have been selected to work with you to help understand your present circumstances and where possible agree an affordable and appropriate payment plan.

I wouldnt mind, I know hes owes about £7,000 but he also owes halifax £11,500 and blair, oliver and scott have been absolutely marvellous!!!

I am going to resend all letters to Metro via recorded delivery (again!) a******** but is there anything else I can please?

dont need this aggro as OH is on the verge of a nervous breakdown due to business being so bad:(

thanks

*BUMP* anyone?? really need some advice thanks
    LBM: April 2009 - honest debt figure: Secured: £0.00!! (paid back april 2017) unsecured: £53117.48 (roughly):eek: back with CCCS starting again:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure