PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Deposit Dispute

Options
Looking for some advice. We have had tenants in our house for the last 12 months. Last weekend we received the keys back and did a final inspection. During the inspection we noted severe damage to our carpets (paint spills, burns, pen), walls (pen, nail varnish etc on every wall) and they've nailed our handmade blinds to the walls to make them black out.

There was a basic inventory taken at the start of the tenancy in the form of emails identifying items which we knew about and that overall the house was in good condition. This was agreed by all parties.

I produced a 'Final Inspectiom Report' outlining the situation and photo evidence. I stated that we will be retaining the deposit (£700) (it's stored in MyDepositScotland) and also we'll be looking for funds to cover additional damages out with the deposit as per the tenancy agreement. Their initial response has been negative and they're disputing.

My question is...can we get any contractor to do the work as long as we have a clear invoice for works carried out and then ask for the additional money from the tenants? Or do I need to get the tenants to accept before any works are carried out?

Another option is pay our insurance excess, would the tenants be liable for this?

I have landlord insurance and accidental damage cover which most of this will cover but have been advised £200 excess per incident (one incident being mark on carpet, another being mark on wall, estimate of total excess is £1500).

Clause in tenancy agreement 'The deposit shall be held by the Landlord or Landlords Agent to meet any claims against the Tenants in respect of any damage to the furnishings or fabric of the Property and any outstanding electricity, gas or telephone charges and any other sums including rental payments due by the Tenants arising from this Lease. In the event that the total sum so owed by the Tenants
exceeds the amount of the deposit the excess shall be paid by the Tenants to the Landlord or Landlords Agent within seven days of the date on which the Tenants receive intimation of such excess.'

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You're not entitled to betterment, in other words you don't get new for old. As the landlord the onus is on you to prove any deductions are reasonable and by the sounds of things the check-in inventory is a bit flimsy.

If you can't agree with the tenants about the deductions they can raise a dispute with My Deposit Scotland. Then it's either a case of using the ADR service or going to sheriff court.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Looking for some advice. We have had tenants in our house for the last 12 months. Last weekend we received the keys back and did a final inspection. During the inspection we noted severe damage to our carpets (paint spills, burns, pen), walls (pen, nail varnish etc on every wall) and they've nailed our handmade blinds to the walls to make them black out.

There was a basic inventory taken at the start of the tenancy in the form of emails identifying items which we knew about and that overall the house was in good condition. This was agreed by all parties.

I produced a 'Final Inspectiom Report' outlining the situation and photo evidence. I stated that we will be retaining the deposit (£700) (it's stored in MyDepositScotland) and also we'll be looking for funds to cover additional damages out with the deposit as per the tenancy agreement. Their initial response has been negative and they're disputing.

My question is...can we get any contractor to do the work as long as we have a clear invoice for works carried out and then ask for the additional money from the tenants? Or do I need to get the tenants to accept before any works are carried out?

Another option is pay our insurance excess, would the tenants be liable for this?

I have landlord insurance and accidental damage cover which most of this will cover but have been advised £200 excess per incident (one incident being mark on carpet, another being mark on wall, estimate of total excess is £1500).

Clause in tenancy agreement 'The deposit shall be held by the Landlord or Landlords Agent to meet any claims against the Tenants in respect of any damage to the furnishings or fabric of the Property and any outstanding electricity, gas or telephone charges and any other sums including rental payments due by the Tenants arising from this Lease. In the event that the total sum so owed by the Tenants
    exceeds the amount of the deposit the excess shall be paid by the Tenants to the Landlord or Landlords Agent within seven days of the date on which the Tenants receive intimation of such excess.'

You don't need to wait until the deductions are agreed before starting the work but be prepared for the possibility of not getting all the money you pay out back.
  • FraserGreen
    FraserGreen Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    You're not entitled to betterment, in other words you don't get new for old. As the landlord the onus is on you to prove any deductions are reasonable and by the sounds of things the check-in inventory is a bit flimsy.

If you can't agree with the tenants about the deductions they can raise a dispute with My Deposit Scotland. Then it's either a case of using the ADR service or going to sheriff court.

Thanks, I guess that's my concern. The inventory was just an email with points and agreement by both parties. Not sure how that would stand up in a dispute or court situation.

Agree, not trying to claim betterment.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    1) the check in inventory is important. OK, if the tenants don't question your proposed deductions (" yes we poured paint on the carpet") there's no problem. But if they say "That paint stain was there when we moved in", or "carpet? What carpet? There was no carpet- we bought that carpet." then your inventory becomes important evidence.

Next time use a qualified AIIC Inventory Clerk.

2) Geting a couple of competitive written quotes is advisable before you start work.

3) Remember 'betterment'. If the carpet is now 8 years old (for example), it's probably near the end of its life anyway. A brand new carpet paid by the tenants would leave you better off than if they'd not caused damage & just left you an 8 year old carpet.

You can claim perhaps 2/10ths of the replacement value (assuming a 10 year lifespan)
  • FraserGreen
    FraserGreen Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    1) the check in inventory is important. OK, if the tenants don't question your proposed deductions (" yes we poured paint on the carpet") there's no problem. But if they say "That paint stain was there when we moved in", or "carpet? What carpet? There was no carpet- we bought that carpet." then your inventory becomes important evidence.

Next time use a qualified AIIC Inventory Clerk.

2) Geting a couple of competitive written quotes is advisable before you start work.

3) Remember 'betterment'. If the carpet is now 8 years old (for example), it's probably near the end of its life anyway. A brand new carpet paid by the tenants would leave you better off than if they'd not caused damage & just left you an 8 year old carpet.

You can claim perhaps 2/10ths of the replacement value (assuming a 10 year lifespan)

Thanks for your feedback. It's a new build and the whole place is only 2 years old. We've lived there 8 months and the tenants 12 so I feel we should have a case. The tenants have also confirmed receipt of the check out report and haven't disagreed with my evidence.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fair point. You obviously have clear evidence of the age of the property and its contents (though perhaps not of the existance of the carpet when the tenancy started?)
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As the landlord the onus is on you to prove any deductions are reasonable and by the sounds of things the check-in inventory is a bit flimsy.
    If the check-in states that the house was in good condition bare item a, b and c and both party agree to it, then that's what the ADR will use as a starting point and it would be up to the tenants to prove that it wasn't in good condition.

Before pictures always help, but agreeing that everything in the house is in good condition is fine especially when the house is a new build anyway.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looking for some advice. We have had tenants in our house for the last 12 months. Last weekend we received the keys back and did a final inspection. During the inspection we noted severe damage to our carpets (paint spills, burns, pen), walls (pen, nail varnish etc on every wall) and they've nailed our handmade blinds to the walls to make them black out. - agree, all damage not wear&tear.
    Get dated pictures of the damage before you do the work, and a couple of reasonable quotes to rectify. You would be entitled to the value of a 2 year old replacement (not new) or 8 tenths of the cost of new items wiht a 10 year lifespan.

There was a basic inventory taken at the start of the tenancy in the form of emails identifying items which we knew about and that overall the house was in good condition. This was agreed by all parties. - check what if anything this says about the specific areas of damage, and look for any pictures of the general condition even if the date is earlier (e.g. for proof there was infact a
    carpet). Next time do a full inventory listing every item and its condition, showing photos.

I produced a 'Final Inspectiom Report' outlining the situation and photo evidence. I stated that we will be retaining the deposit (£700) (it's stored in MyDepositScotland) and also we'll be looking for funds to cover additional damages out with the deposit as per the tenancy agreement. Their initial response has been negative and they're disputing. Provide a breakdown of the damages and the costs, and ask them what they agree with in writing. Then focus on the rest and decide whether the difference is worth your time fighting. IF yes, you may need to write a letter before action and file a money claim online for the extra funds,
    providing all your evidence. If not, agree a full & final settlement in writing and get the money transferred between you.

- Make sure you have good pictures evidencing the problem areas and a couple of reasonable quotes to rectify the damage (materials + labour). However you can start the work before it is agreed with the tenants. If you can't agree and the deposit scheme / court judge disagree with you, you may not be awarded the money. Conversely, even if you are awarded damages, you don't have to do the repairs.

Another option is pay our insurance excess, would the tenants be liable for this? - yes, if it is less than the cost of the repair you would otherwise be due.

You would be due the lower of
    a) cost of new replacement + fitting (scaled down by the remaining lifespan of a 2 year old item)
    b) cost of a second hand replacement + fitting
    c) insurance excess if you choose to claim (don't have to)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure