MSE News: Major changes to Tesco Clubcard scheme include Uber triple voucher offer

Options
Former_MSE_Megan_F
Former_MSE_Megan_F Posts: 418 Forumite
Newshound!
edited 6 July 2017 at 5:33PM in Food shopping & groceries
Tesco Clubcard holders will be sent a new contactless card as part of a raft of changes to the scheme, which will include Uber and Hotels.com being added to the boost offer...
Read the full story:
'Major changes to Tesco Clubcard scheme include Uber triple voucher offer '
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    But good luck with any queries from March 2018 onwards, after 1,100 contact centre jobs go, with only 250 in Dundee to make up the difference - somethings got to give!
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Stopped collecting Clubcard points years ago. Wasn't worth the hassle.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • ic451uk
    ic451uk Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    While the Tesco Clubcard itself goes from magnetic strip and barcode to contactless, Tesco Clubcard Credit Card will be sticking with the good old magnetic strip only - keep on swiping!
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    robin58 wrote: »
    After around a dozen free meals out for myself and friends, I respectfully disagree.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sounds expensive. Waiting for the negative changes!

If it isn't broken, don't fix it springs to mind.
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    robin58 wrote: »

Got to disagree. Clubcard pays for our flights each summer hols in August, which has included Orlando twice
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    steve1500 wrote: »
    Got to disagree. Clubcard pays for our flights each summer hols in August, which has included Orlando twice
    Depends really on how much you spend.

To me it's a bad deal as my Local big Tesco is a 9 mile round trip by bus.

I can get most of the stuff I want at my local Aldi and Lidl for a better price, with top ups from Iceland, Farmfoods, Sainsburys and Waitrose for things they only do. All these shops are in walking distance.

Plus the offer of Uber is no good to me as I live in a area where it's not operating.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • HornetSaver
    HornetSaver Posts: 3,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If any of the quadruple value offers are of use to you (i.e. if the offers weren't there you'd have spent money on those products or services anyway), then I believe Clubcard works out at 8% of your grocery shopping spend assuming you also use a Tesco Bank account debit card.

For me it doesn't quite work out as rosily as that, because I can walk to two other supermarkets within 5 minutes vs the need to drive to Tesco, and their petrol forecourt here is a car-trap due to location. But for those for whom this isn't a factor it's a significant enough boost to take seriously. Not quite sure what the rules are on fuel, but if it works out as 8p per litre with a Tesco Bank card, or indeed 4p per litre without, then for most that would blow alternatives out of the water.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Tesco killed the Club card for me when they removed the double up deals and made minimum delivery orders at £40. We buy next to nothing from Mr T now, Aldi, Home Bargains and a pound shop get most of our trade. A walk around my nearest big Mr T yesterday revealed that the basic/everyday ranges have gone, bogoffs few and far, multibuys few and far, customers thin on the ground at the time.
  • forestlands
    forestlands Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, watch out for security!This is just a suggestion based on my experience. My credit card was used fraudulently to pay for Uber and hotels, just under £1.000

I'm 73 this year, seldom leave home, have a smallholding out in the sticks, weekly shop with Tesco Home Delivery and use Tesco Direct home delivery. As I don't go shopping, wondered how my credit card info. was obtained!

Was concerned when I saw Tesco was teaming up with Uber and hotels. Could be a coincidence my card was used to pay for Uber and hotel, I'm not risking it! I felt awful when I had to tell the bank! I use security advised by the banks.

The more partners Tesco gets the less I'm using them! Being cautious!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure