Car Deposit Difference - What Would You Do?

Options
In June this year, we ordered a new Seat Leon - just a basic model for my wife and baby to run errands in. It's a lovely car - very ample for what we bought it for, and I'm overall I'm pleased with it.

We agreed a very good deal on the car, which involved an initial deposit of £500 which would be refunded at collection, less £24 for fuel (despite getting money off the deal, they refused to budge on the fuel charge, something I've never experienced before!!).

After I'd placed the order, my wife noted the car didn't come with automatic headlights, and she absolutely had to have these, so I rang up the dealer to amend the order. The original salesman wasn't there, but I spoke to someone else who advised they cost £120. To avoid meddling with the monthly payments, I agreed to pay this on collection (so net I'd be getting £500 refund, less £24 fuel and £120 for the auto lights).

About two weeks before collection, I emailed the dealer to confirm the details, and he confirmed in writing that on collection I would be getting £476 refund. However, on the day of collection I was given £326 - the inclusion of auto lights necessitated an additional add-on (internal LED lighting) at a cost of £130. I didn't clock this immediately (I was feeling a bit worse for wear after a works do the night before), but raised with the salesman a few days later. He said he'd check with the area manager and come back to me the following Wednesday. Four weeks, and three emails to chase later, I've heard nothing.

Should I let this lie and accept my own foolishness for a). tampering with the deal once it'd been agreed and not questioning on the day of collection or b). phone the dealer and make a nuisance of myself?

I don't know whether it's buyer's remorse but there's been a few niggles with the car - it wasn't prepped properly (residue left on the bumper which I've had to pay to get properly removed by a detailer) and they didn't keep me updated as promised regarding delivery of the car, which was important as I was trying to time the sale of my wife's previous car.

Am I being a difficult ****er and just let it lie, or do I complain / query the deposit charge with my card provider?

Comments

• Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    edited 13 September 2017 at 8:29AM
    Options
    From what you say my calculations suggest 500-(24+120+130) = £226.

Surely your argument is over the charging of the internal light (£130) which in fact they have discounted by £100.

500-(24+120+30) = £326

Why didn't you take the car back to the dealer to have any residue removed?

I messed up a name on flight on RyanAir the cost of rectifying would be minimal but they have charged me £110 more than the three flights..........c'est la guerre!
  • bertiewhite
    Options
    Shaka_Zulu wrote: »
    ..........c'est la guerre!

"It's the war"?????
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    "It's the war"?????

Errr...yes. It's a fairly common expression which is better translated idiomatically as 'That's Life'.
  • bertiewhite
    Options
    Well yeh, I know "C'est la vie", but not "la guerre".

Oh well, every day's a school day!!!! :j
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Who on earth "absolutely has" to have automatic lights? What's so difficult about using a switch at night or in reduced visibility?
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Am I being a difficult ****er
    yes .....................
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Options
    tykesi wrote: »
    Who on earth "absolutely has" to have automatic lights? What's so difficult about using a switch at night or in reduced visibility?

Are you married (living with a woman)?

If you are you should know the answer to that question. If you aren't you will soon find out. :)
  • societys_child
    Options
    Are you married (living with a woman)?
    I am, but she'd only get auto lights if they were already fitted . . . ;)
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My car has "atomic" headlights, as like radioactive decay they operate purely at random. I know when they operate, as the info display flicks into night mode.

They don't operate at all when it would be useful, e.g. in fog, only when they can blow the headlight bulbs by repeatedly flashing on & off, whilst outside there is a solar flare in progress......

So they are switched firmly to OFF.

However, my car is thankfully not fitted with an alarmingly bright LED dashboard, so it is fairly easy to tell if I need the lights on, as I can't read the speedo easily.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Before automatic lights and wipers we never went anywhere in our cars if it was dark or raining. . .

Mind you, I read that apparently in the 20s and 30s, many motorists laid their cars up in Winter because the cars were generally poorly equipped for bad weather and the dark.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure