PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How is a prospective buyer's "cash offer" qualified when they are homeless?

Options
My property is listed for sale with an online estate agent and I paid extra for them to deal with all viewings. I live some 10 miles away from this property with my husband.

And, yes, I unwittingly accepted an offer from a homeless person ... needless to say, this "sale" fell through!

Once I accepted the cash offer at the full asking price, I was inundated with messages direct to my personal email address. This personal information was accessed by the "buyer" from the agency's online portal. This buyer first asked to rent my house "until completion" or be allowed to use my address as their mailing address. Needless to say, I declined.

Apparently, an estate agent is able to qualify a person's cash offer even when they are homeless and living in a camper van! That was news to me!

The estate agent saw the person's online bank statement or a screenshot of this - he wouldn't elaborate any further - I think all of his checks were carried out online, not in person.

I have complained about this but a director of the online estate agency says that this is a perfectly acceptable way of qualifying an offer. He stated that the 'buyer' had a solicitor, so their status wasn't an issue.

However, although the buyer had entered a a legal firm's details at the portal when they put forward the offer, they almost immediately removed this information. They had not formally instructed a solicitor ! The buyer disclosed to me that they were struggling to instruct a solicitor because of the homelessness issue. This was where I was meant to step in and go to their rescue.

Obviously, I'm not foolish enough to give a homeless person permission to use either of my properties as their mailing address!

Regrettably, by the time I discovered that the buyer was homeless, I had already formally accepted their offer through the agency's portal. Approximately four other potential buyers' viewings had automatically been cancelled at the agency's portal and, from online reviews, I gather the messages from the agency are blunt. In addition, my property's status was changed to "sold subject to contract", both online and on the for sale board. I made a special journey to where my other house is to remove the 'SSTC' notice from the for sale board, in the hope that it would not put people off viewing.

In the three weeks since the bank holiday weekend, although we have reduced the price, there has been much less interest in my house. The house is in a village and I expect people will think that it has had a dodgy survey and is too risky a prospect.

What a nightmare... next time I sell a house I'm going to employ a local estate agency on a "no sale, no fee" basis!

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    If they have the money in the bank why does it matter if they have a home, live in a hovel or a mansion?!

Yes asking to use your address before you sell to them is odd, but being 'homeless' is not an issue

I don't understand.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    edited 19 June 2017 at 9:00PM
    Options
    The estate agent saw the person's online bank statement or a screenshot of this
    Can I buy your house if I send you a photograph of some money ?

Sounds as if the EA was a bit hapless.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    Can I buy your house if I send you a photograph of some money ?

Sounds as if the EA was a bit hapless.

It's an online estate agent. Quite how they expected an online estate agent to carry out any checks on this person in person, I can't think.
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,990 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You have my sympathies. Selling is stressful enough without incompetent online agents and weirdly time-wasting "buyers" who lose you real potential prospects

So it is helpful for you to post this cautionary tale... especially as you have no legal redress in the unregulated world of online agents of the "blazing saddles" variety...

However, your advice...
    What a nightmare... next time I sell a house I'm going to employ a local estate agency on a "no sale, no fee" basis!
    is exactly what almost everyone else on this forum has been saying for years.

Better luck (or judgement?) next time!
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    So this 'buyer' has hundreds of thousands pounds in the bank, but has no fixed abode??
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So this 'buyer' has hundreds of thousands pounds in the bank, but has no fixed abode??

Perfectly possible. When we last sold, we had "hundreds of £k in the bank," so if we'd bought a motor home and stuck our stuff in storage, that would have been one way to get to know a new area before purchasing in it.

But I take your point, which implies people need some sort of postal address, even when so much more can now be done on-line.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Perfectly possible. When we last sold, we had "hundreds of £k in the bank," so if we'd bought a motor home and stuck our stuff in storage, that would have been one way to get to know a new area before purchasing in it.

But I take your point, which implies people need some sort of postal address, even when so much more can now be done on-line.

I agree, I was in this position last time I sold, and while I actually decided to rent before buying again I did seriously consider the camper van option. I wouldn't have considered myself homeless, rather, I'd have categorized my position as between homes. Not having a postal address of my own wasn't a factor, I would simply have used my mum's address for correspondence.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They've been living in a "camper". This is a very flexible term, that could easily cover a hundred or more grand's worth of motorhome.
  • jimbog
    jimbog Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    By you accepting the offer the online EA would now presumably get paid which would be their motivation rather than getting to exchange
    Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You're essentially saying....

Your EA was paid a fixed fee in advance, so you suspect they were not very diligent in qualifying a buyer (because they had no incentive to be).

An EA who was paid on completion might have been more diligent - because they would want to get their fee.

I tend to agree.

Online EAs seem to be fine for 'hands-off', 'problem-free' transactions - but not so good otherwise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure