part-time redundancy, found new job will i forfeit redundancy

Options
Hi

Could someone please advise.

I have worked at a school for 7 years (technician) full time and changed to two days part time after starting a family.
Myself and 11 others have been given notice of redundancy, a little over two months notice.
I have since found another part time job at a different school within a different council (alternative days to current position)
I have no start date for my new job at this time but it has been mentioned (in passing) by my present employer (HR) that if I start my new job within 4 weeks of finishing here I could forfeit my redundancy ?
This can't be right??
I could have be working both these part time jobs now without affecting each other, so why should been made redundant from one effect redundancy, so why should finding new part time work affect redundancy ??

Thanks for any advise you can give.

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Check if the councils are connected for the purposes of continuous service.

If they are then as you have a job offer before you leave AND if you start within 4 weeks the new council has to honor your previous service giving continuity.
    (Something like that so check the relevant sources.)

This came up a bit back where someone had a week between jobs and lost their continuity.

There is a guide to local government and continuity this but I forget what it was called.
  • Nicky_E
    Options
    Thank you for your reply

Shall be checking with our HR and council
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nicky_E wrote: »
    Hi

Could someone please advise.

I have worked at a school for 7 years (technician) full time and changed to two days part time after starting a family.
    Myself and 11 others have been given notice of redundancy, a little over two months notice.
    I have since found another part time job at a different school within a different council (alternative days to current position)
    I have no start date for my new job at this time but it has been mentioned (in passing) by my present employer (HR) that if I start my new job within 4 weeks of finishing here I could forfeit my redundancy ?
    This can't be right??
    I could have be working both these part time jobs now without affecting each other, so why should been made redundant from one effect redundancy, so why should finding new part time work affect redundancy ??

Thanks for any advise you can give.

Are you being let go or made redundant ?
    You must follow ‘collective consultation’ rules if you’re making 20 or more employees redundant within any 90-day period at a single establishment.
    There are no set rules to follow if there are fewer than 20 redundancies planned, but it’s good practice to fully consult employees and their representatives. An employment tribunal could decide that you’ve dismissed your staff unfairly if you don’t.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Are you being let go or made redundant ?
    You must follow ‘collective consultation’ rules if you’re making 20 or more employees redundant within any 90-day period at a single establishment.
    There are no set rules to follow if there are fewer than 20 redundancies planned, but it’s good practice to fully consult employees and their representatives. An employment tribunal could decide that you’ve dismissed your staff unfairly if you don’t.

Dd you just copy and paste that?
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    this is the thread some links to potentially relevant info

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5647684

The difference is you are redundant they resigned
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    The critical issue is the employer - the school or the council? If the school, then providing your comply with the relevant statutory timescales, then redundancy isn't affected. But if the council, then yes, the information is correct - your continuity of service is protected but you must repay any redundancy payment (assuming it is paid in the first place) if you move to the new employment within four weeks. You should also be aware that in some cases, local authorities will not employ people who have been made redundant by another local authority.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure