Help with Radiator Placement / Move Radiator?

Options
I have an awkward layout in my dining area which means the only place the wooden sideboard can go is in front of the large double radiator. Until now I have lined the back of the sideboard with the foil / foam material designed to go behind radiators to reduce heat loss out of external walls.

The radiator pipes go down into a concrete floor and the floor is tiled with ceramic tiles so moving the radiator hasn't been feasible until now ....
I'm having a new kitchen and the tiles which run through the kitchen and dining room are being replaced.

Is it worth replacing the radiator and moving it to another wall where it will be unobstructed? If I do this it will have to be a taller / narrower wall mounted radiator as there isn't enough space for the current wide one.

Or does the foiled insulation compensate enough for the obstruction caused by the sideboard? Will the taller / narrower new radiator be as efficient as the current one?

Thanks in advance for any insights / thoughts

Debbie

Comments

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd have it replaced with a new one in a better location. If the room was warm enough before with the sideboard blocking the radiator, then a smaller unobstructed one in another location will probably have a similar effect. Standard style radiators are not expensive, but "designer" ones can be.
    We recently had our kitchen completely remodelled and had no choice about moving a radiator, as it was under a window which was becoming an archway.
    We had a new cast iron radiator installed to make a feature of it. Similar heat rating to the one it replaced, cost quite a lot more than a standard radiator, but no regrets - it looks great and does the job.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Despite being called 'radiators' they don't actually radiate much energy at all, they work by convection so as long as the airflow underneath and at the top isn't obstructed too much, it should matter that much.

But heat isn't good for wood, so probably not good for the sideboard.

If wall space is an issue you could consider a 'hydronic plinth heater' - a fan heater that fits under kitchen cabinets a runs off the central heating system, very compact.

This sort of thing:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hydronic-Kitchen-Plinth-Heater-Brushed/dp/B002T9K8IO
  • djp64
    djp64 Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you for your comments - I've decided to have it moved.

I had seen the hydronic plinth heaters but hadn't appreciated how they were connected to the central heating - sounds like a fine plan for replacing the small radiator in the kitchen and freeing up some wall space.

Debbie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport