Full and final settlement help thread

Options

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    That all sounds good. You correspond with the DCA if there is one and the present owner if there isn't.

The only thing in your post I wasn't sure about was FCA guidance as I wasn't sure what you were planning to quote.
  • sgx.saint
    sgx.saint Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 December 2014 at 9:58AM
    Options
    fatbelly wrote: »
    That all sounds good. You correspond with the DCA if there is one and the present owner if there isn't.

The only thing in your post I wasn't sure about was FCA guidance as I wasn't sure what you were planning to quote.

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking of citing information from the FCA Consumer Credit sourcebook (CONC) 7.14.14.

Which will emphasize to the creditors that I know my rights and I also know how the FCA expect the creditor to behave when presented with a legitimate settlement offer.

Edit: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/337010/MSE/FCA%20Settlement.png
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    sgx.saint wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, I was thinking of citing information from the FCA Consumer Credit sourcebook (CONC) 7.14.14.

Which will emphasize to the creditors that I know my rights and I also know how the FCA expect the creditor to behave when presented with a legitimate settlement offer.

Edit: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/337010/MSE/FCA%20Settlement.png
    If a firm accepts a customer's offer to settle a debt, it must communicate formally and unequivocally that the offer accompanied by the relevant payment has been accepted as settlement of the customer's liability. [Note: paragraph 3.3h of DCG]

OK, no harm in that. Definitely something to remind them of if what you get back is capable of more than one interpretation, as is often the case.
  • sgx.saint
    Options
    fatbelly wrote: »
    OK, no harm in that. Definitely something to remind them of if what you get back is capable of more than one interpretation, as is often the case.

I'll draft a letter in the next few days and post it up on here for some critique.
  • CerealKiller
    Options
    Hi!
    I am currently on a step change DMP with debts of £6,700.
    I currently pay £75 a month towards that via the DMP but I have recently got a pay raise meaning I have a bit extra each month.
    Instead of paying extra into my DMP account, I am thinking of trying to clear some of the smaller debts with the extra cash through full and final settlement. Will this be a problem to creditors who I owe more to or can I get on with it how I chose?
    The second question is whether it is possible to make f+f offers via email instead of post?
    I have seen templates and advice on what offers to make around the Internet, but emailing companies and how it will affect DMP seems a bit of a grey area.
    Any advice will be gratefully received.
    I will be ringing all my creditors Friday anyway to make a payment (bank problems meant I wasn't able to pay step change but pay day friday which includes a bonus so affordable)
    Sealed pot challenge 8 - £0.62+(?) / £100 (0.62%)
  • CerealKiller
    Options
    I should also add that the debts I am looking to pay off are between £90 and £170 all to be paid off one at a time.
    Sealed pot challenge 8 - £0.62+(?) / £100 (0.62%)
  • boxer-man
    Options
    I was asking my DMP provider similar question as I have some debts fairly low (low £1000s) and others much higher, the "what would happen if I came into enough money to pay off one of the lower ones" scenario - they said you might get some tantrum letters from the other non paid off creditors but they usually get back in the pram as ultimately it means more money to pay them.
  • Stewart_78
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. Clear what you can.
  • sgx.saint
    Options
    Hello.

Quick question.

I am making F&F offers to some creditors. These debts no longer appear on CRA records due to their age.

In the F&F letter, it asks the creditor to mark the debt as satisfied/settled and the account closed.

Am I asking for trouble by including this on the F&F letter if the account no longer shows anyway?

As in, would it make a reappearance if the original creditor was to update their records? I don't want to damage my credit rating which is now much repaired and better.
  • happy_bunny_2
    Options
    It won't reappear because of this.

Including it is good, so it's in no doubt what the terms of the offer are.
    :beer:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure