2»

Comments

• scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 July 2017 at 12:48PM
    Options
    Grenage wrote: »
    Don't get insurance, just put money aside; breakdown plans for boilers are a complete scam.

Someone once said that to me at work.............until I had a leak I could not find and had to use BG leak detection team. Saved me about £700 plus. Try finding a company that even wants to do it.

I have used the drain cover about 3 times and the electrical about 3 also.

I reckon I get most of my money back with the service and repairs over the years. Not including the peace of mind.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There's always an example of such, but on the whole, insurance plans obviously favour the insurers.
  • scd3scd4
    edited 13 July 2017 at 1:11PM
    Options
    My washer/dryer needs an engineer nearly every year. We have had different brands for the last 20 years.

Its not just about if we all get out money back. Its the one call, next day repair. No cowboys and rip of bills.

I and many others are happy for the peace of mind to be honest......that's means more to me than a few pounds saved.

Wrote the fridge freezer off 2 months back...........I had broken the door by allowing it to slam back on the hinges...............brand new one with D&G.

Would cost about £75 just to have the boiler serviced...........works for me.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    My washer/dryer needs an engineer nearly every year. We have had different brands for the last 20 years.

:eek: I've had the one washer for 17 years, with no need for an engineer, what are you doing to the poor machine?!
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    Wrote the fridge freezer off 2 months back...I had broken the door....

Ah, that explains it...and why I won't pay for insurances on any of my appliances etc!
  • scd3scd4
    edited 14 July 2017 at 4:22PM
    Options
    I've had the one washer for 17 years, with no need for an engineer, what are you doing to the poor machine?!

Washer/dryers are a different animal to a washing machine and have a reputation to be more unreliable due to there dual roles.

Ah, that explains it...and why I won't pay for insurances on any of my appliances etc!

Really................all them cars having accidents and claiming a. Don't you be wasting your money on house or building insurance either. Its no different. Having one product accidently broken in 28 years of marriage is not bad in my book. Pay, dont pay. It works just loverly for me. ;-]
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Takshaka wrote: »
    I have just bought my first house and I am wondering whether the boiler needs replacing in the near future. It appears to be functioning correctly but is probably about 10 years old.That is not old, the boiler in my previous house was over 35years old and still going strong! The previous owner provided a recent Gas Safety Certificate. I have a British Gas heating adviser visiting tomorrow Warm your wallet up now! who I hope will give me some useful info although I know that the main purpose will be to sell me an overpriced financed boiler.
    What are my other options for getting (impartial) advice on the life expectancy and current efficiency of the boiler? Are there any telltale signs I can look for myself?

And before you start on the line of upgrading your boiler because its more efficient consider this. A back boiler could be up to 80% efficient a combi boiler could be up to 90%. That's a 10% difference. Work out cost of new boiler, work out cost of 10% of your gas bill and calculate how long it will take that boiler to break even. How long would you expect a combi to last? 10 -15years with repairs in between..
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    Options
    No one can tell a lot with knowing the make and model of the boiler, I've serviced 30-40 year old boilers that still work fine and look in good condition, although use a lot more gas, they have cast iron heat exchanger and next to no other parts which is why it lasted the time.

I've serviced 10 year old modern boilers that are hanging and need changing.

If you have a ideal isar it may need changing if you had a ideal classic it'll be fine now one can say without knowing what boiler you have before anyone can give advice from your guess of 10 years old.

Energy saving on new boilers depends on what sort of house you live in and what boiler you have. A 30 year old boiler would be around 65% efficiency at best a new a rated condensing boiler is closer to 95% which roughly equates to a saving of £30 for every £100 you spend. A ten year old non condensing boiler in a flat would save you next to nothing.
  • Sasha538
    Options
    Hi, seems to me you know what you're talking about, that's great. I've a 7yrs old Ideal Boiler which I want to move about 12ft, out of the kitchen and nearer the gas meter. What do you think may be a fair price? Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure