Tesco Bank System issue

It seems that Tesco Bank's system remembers you even though you closed your previous account over five years ago. Whilst attempting to open a 5yr Fixed term account, the system decided to present me with a Christmas advert pop up and cancel my application. It had just decided that i was an "existing" customer not a new one. I phoned them but they want me to log in and update my security details before allowing me to continue the application. I cant do this because they insist on sending the log in link to a phone that no longer exists. My last employer repossessed it when i retired six years ago. So I am stuck. Its a shame that systems cannot recognise a new application, or that the details they held five years ago are considered to be so accurate now that they would refuse a large savings deposit over them, or that they cant be more helpful. So it seems Tesco Fixed term accounts are not available to existing customers, and anyone else who has ever had a Tesco account, a clubcard or anything else that caused them to create an account for you..

Comments

• FOREVER21
    FOREVER21 Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    Energy Saving Champion I've been Money Tipped!
    This happened to me when I tried to open new savings accounts with Tesco, I kept getting stuck with their on line application, telephoned them and was also told I had opened an account with them some years ago.

As I couldn't remember anything about that account I asked for details which of course they declined to give.
    The way I eventually got around this was to go on line and use my correct name and address, but input my date of birth using one day different. Bingo I was accepted as a new customer and opened 2 new savings accounts. These have been running for quite a while now with no problems

I thought they might be a query with any credit/electoral roll check they did but apparently not, all I need to remember if I am asked at some point is my " amended" birthday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure