We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Waterproof decking? Or alternative?

Options
Hi,

I am having my garden done in October. It's quite a small garden - about 500sq ft. It currently has a large brick shed which we are getting rid of to make more space for the kids to run around in.

I was thinking of having a small raised deck with storage underneath. The reasoning behind this was that a deck we could still walk on, and have storage for the kids bikes etc. whereas a shed takes up usable space.

However the only place we could build this deck would be where there is very little sunshine because of the shape of the house. Are there alternatives to wood we could use? I have seen the composite decking and even fully plastic alternatives. Are these any good? Or any other ideas?

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    From what I've read on MSE, some artificial wood decking is well-regarded, but it's not something I have direct experience of.

However, as someone fairly well-versed in planning law, the notion of putting in a deck high enough to store bikes under raises the matter of planning permission, because one is limited to a height of 0.3m without it.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/11/decking

Much depends on the situation, but if you have a neighbour who might complain when they see you and your kids on this high vantage point......
  • rihsabramo
    Options
    Thanks. Did not know about the planning permission!

I own the house next door which is on rent to a family who never comes outside! And the decking would not block anyone's view of anything as it would be in an 'alcove' surrounded by the house.

I don't really want a deck but it maximises floor space whilst still allowing for storage.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    rihsabramo wrote: »
    Thanks. Did not know about the planning permission!

I own the house next door which is on rent to a family who never comes outside! And the decking would not block anyone's view of anything as it would be in an 'alcove' surrounded by the house.

I don't really want a deck but it maximises floor space whilst still allowing for storage.
    I should go for it then. Once it's been up for 4 years they can't make you take it away.

My only neighbours rent and they don't come outside either. By that I mean that they stay in there for weeks at a time with the curtains closed. They don't drive and everything arrives by courier or Mr T's van.

I'm dreading having normal people next door! :rotfl:
  • Helen2k8
    Helen2k8 Posts: 361 Forumite
    Options
    You can get recycled plastic, I've only seen it in boardwalks and benches but same idea.

e.g. https://britishrecycledplastic.co.uk/case-studies/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport