Money Moral Dilemma: Should I refund the postage fee?

Options
MSE_Sarah
MSE_Sarah Posts: 327 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 11 August 2017 at 12:01PM in Boost your income
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
I recently sold something on eBay and the buyer paid for postage. When I saw their address, I realised they lived around the corner from me so I might as well hand-deliver the item. Should I refund the postage cost or keep it?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• catswiththumbs
    Options
    MSE_Sarah wrote: »
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
    I recently sold something on eBay and the buyer paid for postage. When I saw their address, I realised they lived around the corner from me so I might as well hand-deliver the item. Should I refund the postage cost or keep it?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

If you hand deliver an item you are not covered under "seller protection". Just a warning should anything go wrong - eg if the buyer claims they didn't receive it.
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    This should be on the eBay part of the forum, not here.

However, I have done this before - keep the postage and delivered the item by hand. But I did have to drive a 16 mile round trip. But now I always offer free postage. That covers my P&P cost within the item cost. A buyer even came and picked an item up from me, when I contacted her once to ask if she would mind me hand-delivering because she was within a couple of miles of me. I couldn't believe my luck!
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    If you hand deliver an item you are not covered under "seller protection". Just a warning should anything go wrong - eg if the buyer claims they didn't receive it.

If you're that worried, take photo of you putting the item through their letterbox.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Once again the MSE Moral Dilemma remained unanswered for 5 days!?

Why do you persist with this nonsense MSE?

What is the point of posing a question you have stated you will not respond to?

A somewhat pointless exercise imho.
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • joey2307
    joey2307 Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 August 2017 at 2:50AM
    Options
    Hi, I'm no eBay/postage expert but from my limited experience I would advise you to be wary of the following regarding postage on eBay in general. I'm sure this is covered elsewhere in far greater detail ...

1). Indirectly linked to the original question: eBay charge their final value fee INCLUDING the postage amount, this is one reason never to use the recommended postage cost suggested by eBay - it doesn't allow for their fees and if you are selling something that is borderline small parcel/medium parcel/etc they'd tend to go with the smaller cost.

2). More directly linked to original question: I recently partially refunded a buyer some postage as an item went through as a small parcel rather than medium and there was a saving of around £2 - which was a lot relative to the cost of item. PayPal refund fees automatically but eBay you have to contact after you have refunded with the transaction number from PayPal in order for them to refund their fees. (I used online chat and it was no hassle at all.). So you shouldn't lose out if you do decide to refund postage in terms of fees but will have a bit of work to do to claim back.

I like the idea that someone else suggested; offering free postage - but this may not work if you are selling low value items that you'd see for 99p elsewhere but you're auction starts at £3 say as you covering postage in item value. I'd imagine most people like me search for eBay items by "lowest price including p&p" when searching for Buy It Now items but "ending soonest" for auction items.

Meanwhile another tip I read is that the eBay fee is less if you do a 'Buy it Now' ONLY (rather than auction or both) for items selling for less than £400 (I think!).

Directly answering the question I would say refund, morally speaking. Real decision may depend on how much you value/rely on your feedback score and star ratings, particularly if you are running a business and earning a living from selling on eBay.
  • jicms
    jicms Posts: 482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would definitely if they paid a good price for the item. If I felt I'd sold too low and the postage helped make up the shortfall maybe not.
  • Puddlesplasher
    Options
    You have two options open to you to ensure that you don't leave yourself at risk of being scammed.
    1. Post item
    2. Contact buyer and ask if they would like you to deliver it. If they do then refund the entire amount and the buyer pays cash when you deliver it.
  • Silverbird
    Silverbird Posts: 782 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Yes, definitely. However, I may do the refunded postage by including stamps totalling the amount rather than a monetary refund for the reasons people have mentioned in previous posts. Or else literally affix some cash to the item.
    Thrilled to be DEBT-FREE as of 26.03.10 :D
    Hubby DEBT-FREE as of 27.03.15 :D

Debt at LBM (June '07): £8189.19
  • iclayt
    iclayt Posts: 454 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would post it. Anything with postage above the cost of a stamp gets sent by a trackable method when I post something won on eBay, if people aren't prepared to pay for the postage they won't buy it, and it means I have proof it was delivered if/when the buyer claims it wasn't - which they sometimes do. They don't know you live round the corner so it makes no difference to them if you're down the road or 100 miles away. For seller protection, you should post it.
  • bye_bye_band_G
    Options
    Once again the MSE Moral Dilemma remained unanswered for 5 days!?

Why do you persist with this nonsense MSE?

What is the point of posing a question you have stated you will not respond to?

A somewhat pointless exercise imho.

They persist with this nonsense because some people, such as me, who don't read the forum apart from this, enjoy the Money Moral Dilemmas. It's the part of the newsletter I enjoy best, and I always click through on the link after reading the newsletter.

They have answered why they pose a question they won't respond to - They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value. It's irrelevant whether the answers are late or the problem is made up, it's just a debate for readers to enjoy.

The only pointless exercise for me is having to read through the inevitable whinges from regulars who wage a never ending war against the existence of the Money Moral Dilemma concept.
    Some of us enjoy it. Give it a break. If you don't like it, move on to something else and leave the rest of us to enjoy it. There is no need for you to comment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure