Anyone tried the Eco Egg?

Options

Comments

• rocsen
    rocsen Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Strange if you have been diagnosed with dermatitis that you are washing using unknown chemicals in the Ecoegg. Probably even worse if you rinse with it in while it releases a soapy substance - or do you have to pause every wash and take out the egg before rinsing starts?

Did your doctor recommend using the ecoegg to help your condition?

It's contact dermatitis and the doc just suggested changing the detergent. I didn't see a dermatologist so no patch testing was done and as such I cannot say for sure it was the Ecover. But it started around my ankles exactly where my socks go up to and then appeared in other areas where clothing was tight like around my hips etc. Still purely an assumption.

As the ecoegg is hypoallergenic and approved by allergy uk I thought I'd give it a shot. Like I said it's all I can go on as I'm just a blind consumer.

The rash is clearing now and whether that's because I'm rinsing double(I remove the egg in-between) or switched detergent would be anyone's guess but so far so good.
  • rocsen
    rocsen Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    antrobus wrote: »
    They contain sodium bicarbonate aka baking soda.

Does that become soapy when wet?
  • kirstypeople
    Options
    Hi all,

Ive been using my Ecoegg for a while now and was recommended it by a friend as I react badly to normal detergents. Ive never had a reaction to the ecoegg. I had a look on the box just now after reading your posts and it does actually state the ingredients of the pellets. The ingredients are tourmaline (the black pellets) which I think is a natural softening mineral/ stone, they put that in so you dont have to use fab conditioner; then theres sodium olefin sulfonate ( I googled this and its a cleaning agent know for being kind to skin; and the last ingredient is sodium carbonate also known as baking soda. Again known for being kind to skin. So I cant really see any ingredients that would harm your skin, I dont think Allergy UK would have put their name on the box if it wasnt suitable for sensitive skin.

Hope that helps!:)
  • Silverjoy
    Options
    As an O.A.P. I have to look to save money. tried under a 30 day guarantee, and have used it for six months.
    What ever the chemical reactions it works, and it does bang a little in the drum, but not enough to to do any centrifugal damage.
    I recently read a review which said better results when you remove before rinses, so I do that now when I am in the kitchen, if not I use it as I have for the last six months, I have nine full packets of refil (sodium carbonate) pellets, many more virtually free washes.
    Another plus point is safety for sensitive skin, no harsh chemicals to irritate, so good for children too.
    You can use stain removers or fabric softeners along side, but I only use if the stain does not come out on my first Eco Wash (30 degrees) Stains that need treating and another wash are about one in seventy garments.
    Please don't make guessing interlectual reviews - use it first or leave the replies to those that have gone to that bother. there are other places to argue the science on blogs.
  • Silverjoy
    Options
    The egg contains only simple ingredients, which are detailed in another reply. Hope it continues to work for you.
    rocsen wrote: »
    It's contact dermatitis and the doc just suggested changing the detergent. I didn't see a dermatologist so no patch testing was done and as such I cannot say for sure it was the Ecover. But it started around my ankles exactly where my socks go up to and then appeared in other areas where clothing was tight like around my hips etc. Still purely an assumption.

As the ecoegg is hypoallergenic and approved by allergy uk I thought I'd give it a shot. Like I said it's all I can go on as I'm just a blind consumer.

The rash is clearing now and whether that's because I'm rinsing double(I remove the egg in-between) or switched detergent would be anyone's guess but so far so good.
  • Silverjoy
    Options
    Try it - manufacturer gives 30 day money back guarantee as do QVC.

I imagine that the previous suggestion of putting some small stones in a sock and sticking that in the washing machine probably would have much the same effect, particularly if you added some baking soda into the sock as well.[/QUOTE]
  • rocsen
    Options
    Silverjoy wrote: »
    Try it - manufacturer gives 30 day money back guarantee as do QVC.

I imagine that the previous suggestion of putting some small stones in a sock and sticking that in the washing machine probably would have much the same effect, particularly if you added some baking soda into the sock as well.
    [/QUOTE]

As do a 100 other retailers. I see a lot of QVC promotion going on here and other forums. Someone already got a warning on another forum for creating fake login id's and promoting QVC
  • Freco
    Freco Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Tried two different types of Ecoegg, both different designs failed. The Egg distorts in shape & the different closing design does not work. As a result the pellets spill out into the washing drum. To clarify the Egg was not subjected to temperatures above recommended. The quality of the actual wash is excellent but unfortunately let down by the Egg design. Apparently they had problems with initial Egg design with it opening in use, their modified design is not an improvement.
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    From general conversations, it seems a lot of people are suddenly discovering washing powder makes them itchy. I don't actually think it's something new about the powder, I think in many cases the newer machines just don't rinse out as well as the old ones did as they use less water. I found the clothes were kind of hard and 'chalky' with the new machine (have to put a lot of powder in as we have hard water ~120g). I've been programming mine to do an extra couple of rinses at the end of the cycle now and that makes sure the powder is all washed down the drain at the end of each wash. It's no good if it builds up on the clothes and inside the machine.
  • AnaMarcela
    Options
    I just bought an ecoegg and Im very please with the product.
    But my question is.

I use vinegar in the last rinse cycle as a fabric softener.
    Someone knows if vinegar can diminish the life of the petals of the ecoegg?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport