Recommendation for investment focused on Japan/India

Options
Hi,

I have a couple of funds which are quite heavily focused on the UK/US.

I want to diversify and think the far east and India are on their way up.

How would i go about trying to pick a fund which gives me exposure to these markets?

Thanks.

Comments

• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    KP24 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a couple of funds which are quite heavily focused on the UK/US.

I want to diversify and think the far east and India are on their way up.

How would i go about trying to pick a fund which gives me exposure to these markets?

Thanks.

Enter 'India' in the search box of Trustnet. Other websites are available:cool:

https://www.trustnet.com/Tools/Search.aspx?keyword=india&on=F&uw=uw
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Do consider investment trusts as well as standard OEICS. Some have a good track record in these markets. For example over 5 years (2016 figures):
    FUND: Baillie Gifford Japanese 131.7%
    INVESTMENT TRUST: Baillie Gifford Japan 213.4%
    URL="http://www.trustintelligence.co.uk/investor/strategy/trust-versus-funds-24112016"]source[/URL

Whichever way you go check the charges as I know many Japanese funds are pricey.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    How about the Terry Smith FEET fund? Not in it myself but I am in his Fundsmith and I understand it takes a similar approach.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What makes you think India and Japan are better than other places to invest your money. Why not just buy a global equity tracker that will invest your money according to market cap. That will give you some exposure to Japan and India.......of course buy anything with your overall allocation in mind.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • ruperts
    ruperts Posts: 3,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You're talking about two very different countries at two very different stages of development, separated by if nothing else a huge distance (Mumbai is closer to Frankfurt than it is to Tokyo). I think the first thing you need to do is clarify why exactly you think these two countries in particular are on the up.
  • cashbackproblems
    Options
    I dont the physical distance between mumbai and tokyo are any interest to the op, you must judge the market amd growth potential of both, japan is a more advanced and mature market like usa and uk whereas India is developing and potential for higher gdp and market cap growth

For india i use jupiter india acc fund, for japan the vanguard japan tracker direct with them so low fees. The baillie gifford has been on my rador especially their japanese small company growth
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What makes you think India and Japan are better than other places to invest your money. Why not just buy a global equity tracker that will invest your money according to market cap. That will give you some exposure to Japan and India.......of course buy anything with your overall allocation in mind.

Well, if everyone thought like that, then no one would buy or sell shares or funds in individual countries since everyone would have perfect agreement on what everything is worth as a simple % of the world economy.

But obviously not everyone thinks that, it takes all kinds, etc. You dont even need to think that you "know" that (say) Japan will do very well you might think the chance it will do very well is worth a punt compared to taking average returns.

I have made a lot of money on various shares and sectors by taking what i agree are calculated risks like this based on my research. ( I have also lost a lot on the same basis :rotfl: ) Overall though I'm substantially up.

Not sure I'd do it again, but the fact is there isn't consensus about any particular sector, country or company, some think you should buy Tesla others sell, etc. Those who buy Tesla have their reasons, same as those who sell. Even if you invest in a tracker, you are in essence still buying based on those who are speculating that tesla is worth multiple times the rest of the worldwide car industry (from what i read, maybe I'm out in the detail, point being say people start speculating in Japan, you are still riding that trend even if you have a tracker.
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 July 2017 at 2:47PM
    Options
    Some ideas on Indian focussed Investment trusts in this thread on another forum.
    https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=6089&sid=331f92dbc22aa02d19aec7c87e56a69b
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure