Earthy smell in conservatory/living room

Options
Just wondering if anyone can shed some light please.
Father in law built a diy conservatory on the back of my living room (which is the only point of access to the garden) in December. The last couple of months I've been smelling a sort of musty earthy smell, made worse when it rains. I thought it was just isolated to the conservatory, but if I walk into the living room from the hallway I can smell it also. Sometimes the smell is very apparent, and sometimes I can't smell it at all. I keep all the windows and doors in the living room open and a window in the conservatory open during the day. I'm wondering if it's coming from the floor as I can smell it very strongly when I'm cleaning down there. The base is a durabase with steel joints, polystyrene insulation with chipboard as the floor base. I'm at a bit of a loss on how to find the cause of the smell, help appreciated!
Thanks

Comments

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    Did you build the conservatory over the top of your airbricks, meaning your subfloor is no longer properly ventilated? If so that would explain the musty smell.
  • pinkclouds21
    Options
    I've just had a look and there are 2 untouched, which are on the exterior of the house (theres a foot or so between each side of the conservatory and the fence either side). However theres one inside the conservatory, which I'm pretty sure is partially covered :/
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think thecyclingprogrammer has diagnosed the problem correctly. You've probably got a reduced airflow as a result of the blocked airbrick.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure