Using old fence slats to board loft

Options

Comments

• d0nkeyk0ng
    Options
    What purpose would the fence slats provide? They're too weak to support anything useful, so you couldn't put anything on top, let alone stand on them.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A friend of mine fixed a chimney leak with expanding foam...
  • martinsurrey
    Options
    d0nkeyk0ng wrote: »
    What purpose would the fence slats provide? They're too weak to support anything useful, so you couldn't put anything on top, let alone stand on them.

They add an air of mystery, and a sense of danger!
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pmartin86 wrote: »
    This - If I was buying a house that had done this I'd run a mile based on what else mgiht have been done that I couldn't see.
    But what fun it would be finding out!

Porridge used as filler?

A shower tray made with milk cartons?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm worried that if you can just lay fence slats across joists as a standing area for items in your loft, there's not enough insulation in there. If there were enough, you'd simply compress it. Not good.

I used to lay all sorts like that 20 years ago, but since then, energy costs have literally gone through the roof and junk isn't worth hoarding up there. You don't want to see any joists at all....
  • pmartin86
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    But what fun it would be finding out!

Porridge used as filler?

A shower tray made with milk cartons?

I've spent the last few years finding dodgy bodge jobs on my house as it is, and I come into this one with the "take it back to brick" mentality so it's not been an issue...but still..some of the things I've found defy belief - My favorite so far was a single chimney used for 2 back to back fireplaces in 2 rooms, one fireplace was taken out and the other remained, the "fix" was a wooden frame batton with a pieice fo chipboard screwed to it, then poorly plastered over...How the house didnt burn down I'll never know.
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I'm worried that if you can just lay fence slats across joists as a standing area for items in your loft, there's not enough insulation in there. If there were enough, you'd simply compress it. Not good.

I used to lay all sorts like that 20 years ago, but since then, energy costs have literally gone through the roof and junk isn't worth hoarding up there. You don't want to see any joists at all....

Ah, reminds me of a ‘wall’ we removed next to a chimney breat that was in fact wallpapered hardboard hiding a mountain of what I call “polystyrene pasta” behind it. (you know the packing material where you have to hunt for what you ordered inside the box like a lucky dip)

It came out like an avalanche. It was being used as internal insulation on about 1.2 metres of one wall of a detached house. No insulation anywhere else.

Could put those under the fence slats. Would break the fall through the ceiling, perhaps!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    More insulation a worthy idea, although I do need the storage for the wife's "homeware", I read you can get supports that fit onto the joists to allow you to board higher up

Polyethylene pasta is flame risk maybe!
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    Yeah. I wasn’t being serious.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,316 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Yeah. I wasn’t being serious.
    Mmmm, I don't think anyone on this thread was, were they? Still, made I larf!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure