I feel so stupid I bought car and it is cat c can't get insured

Options
an1179
an1179 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
I feel stupid and angry took someone with me to buy a car for DD. The v5 said it was uneconomical to repair by a commercial but the friend I was with said it was fine. I have spent £1'150 purchase and then £500 for new tyre battery service and cam belt. I ust phoned for insurance quote they said they don't insure CAT c vehicle it was a broker who searched all their companies . Feel so.let down and useless . Ford fiesta freedom 2006 car

Comments

• Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    an1179 wrote: »
    I feel stupid and angry took someone with me to buy a car for DD. The v5 said it was uneconomical to repair by a commercial but the friend I was with said it was fine. I have spent £1'150 purchase and then £500 for new tyre battery service and cam belt. I ust phoned for insurance quote they said they don't insure CAT c vehicle it was a broker who searched all their companies . Feel so.let down and useless . Ford fiesta freedom 2006 car

Try another broker:

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/category-c-insurance/?gclid=CM7J7-Dv2NICFYu6GwodezELEA
    :hello:
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    Or just use a comparison site. If the insurer doesn't ask if it's a CAT C, then you're not obliged to tell them.

I've insured several CAT D and C cars and bikes in the past, with no problems at all and at no significant cost.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Or just use a comparison site. If the insurer doesn't ask if it's a CAT C, then you're not obliged to tell them.

I've insured several CAT D and C cars and bikes in the past, with no problems at all and at no significant cost.

Should be very simple with no issues, mind you if the op is already using a broker rather than the meerkats etc then there may be other issues.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    Should be very simple with no issues, mind you if the op is already using a broker rather than the meerkats etc then there may be other issues.

True enough.
  • an1179
    Options
    I have accepted an online quote they have asked for copies of licences and V5. It's a learner driver policy
  • Tiddlywinks
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have accepted an online quote they have asked for copies of licences and V5. It's a learner driver policy

Job done then - maybe you could add to your original post at the top to let everyone know that you've solved your problem.
  • an1179
    Options
    Yes but the V5 has the special notes this vehicle has been salvaged because the estimated cost of commercial repair was more than the value of the vehicle. Do will they now reject my insurance ?
  • Tiddlywinks
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yes but the V5 has the special notes this vehicle has been salvaged because the estimated cost of commercial repair was more than the value of the vehicle. Do will they now reject my insurance ?

It really would help everyone if you could be more specific in what you actually want to know.

Is the quote based on it being a Cat C?
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options

It's possible, but if they do, try another insurer. There will be plenty who will happily cover the car.

I suspect like many buyers you will have accepted the cheapest online quote, and those insurers are the bucket-end of the market - they will be much more concerned about finding ways to avoid having to pay out a claim than they will be about offering decent cover - so they're more likely to be the type of insurer who will refuse to cover a Cat C.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Broker couldn't find cover? Find another broker. They should have had little problem getting cover.

Unless the CAR C was not the problem, but the car and the driver and postcode combination?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure