British Gas EnergySmart Energy Monitor - Battery Replacement

Options
Fingerbobs
Fingerbobs Posts: 1,649 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Afternoon all.

A while ago, I posted a thread about replacing the battery in the small, white EnergySmart energy meter supplied years ago by British Gas. After changing the battery, the sensor and display unit lost communications with each other, and I had to contact British Gas to get the procedure for "resynchronise" them.

I've just had to replace the battery again, and discovered that the procedure I posted last time omitted an important detail. The procedure I posted is correct, but only works immediately after powering up the display unit, before any other button is pressed. If you press any other button first, the procedure doesn't work.

So the full correct procedure is as follows:

1. Make sure the Sensor unit and the Display unit are within range of each other, preferably in the same room.

2. Put new battery into sensor unit, and make sure the LED located inside the clamp is double-flashing (i.e. two short flashes approximately every two seconds). If it isn't, use a paperclip to press the small reset button on the side of the sensor unit a few times, until the LED starts double-flashing. (I've never had to do this myself, but this is what British Gas told me to do.)

3. Disconnect the power supply from the display unit.

4. Press and hold the top button on the display unit until it turns off (display goes dark).

5. Reconnect the power supply to the display unit. The display unit turns on. DO NOT PRESS ANY BUTTONS. If you accidentally press a button, go back to step 3.

6. Press and hold the bottom button on the display while pressing the top button four times. The screen flashes bright white each time. If the screen doesn't flash bright white, you probably accidentally pressed a button; go back to Step 3.

7. Release the bottom button, and the display unit should enter "Find" mode.

8. After a couple of minutes, the display should change to show the current power consumption. Communication has been established and the sensor unit can now be reinstalled.

Here's a link to the original thread, for reference:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5012570

Hope this is useful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills