Switching supplier to BG. Saying I have to have a smart meter

cruz99
cruz99 Posts: 398 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 24 November 2017 at 10:16AM in Energy
Recently switched to British Gas from Scottish Power as it was the cheapest fixed deal until Jan 2019.

Just read the small print and it says the tariff is designed for smart meters (arf arf arf....I smell BS) and I need to get them installed by July 2018 or my tariff could be withdrawn.

However I don't want a smart meter. So I am going to bat them off

Anyone else come across this with other suppliers?

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,101 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    cruz99 - you've been on this forum for many years and will have see the many threads about Smart meters.

Why, if you are so adamant about not having a Smart meter are you even considering BG who say it is a specific condition that you must have one.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • cruz99
    edited 24 November 2017 at 10:16AM
    Its too late now as the smart meter clause was buried within the t&C's we all neglect to read lol. I can always move and pay £40 if they change my tarrif in August.

Ihaven't read much on here, especially about smart meters, as I don't visit as often as I should. All I know is they become dumb if you change suppliers. Is this still the case? Or is my smart meter prejudice based on old information?
  • @cruz99
    It is more than likely that the meter will become dumb when you move supplier.
  • cruz99
    Thanks. I will just move supplier if they change my tarrif after the July 2018 smart meter install deadline.

Why can this country never get any new technology right?
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    cruz99 wrote: »

Because we allow politicians to decide when and how to implement it. :(
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • If you are happy with the tariff why don’t you just except the smart meters ?
    I have them already and like having smart meters.
  • st999
    st999 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    All I know is they become dumb if you change suppliers. Is this still the case?

I changed from BG to Bulb in October and my meter still records my usage, it does not however, send these readings to Bulb or my IHD so now I have to go outside in the freezing cold to read my meter and email the readings to Bulb.
  • Sosumi
    Sosumi Posts: 195 Forumite
    jessmist wrote: »

If you are happy with the tariff why don’t you just except the smart meters ?
    I have them already and like having smart meters.

"Excepting" the smart meters from BG is precisely what the OP has stated that it is his/her desire and intention to do... :cool:
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Thanks. I will just move supplier if they change my tarrif after the July 2018 smart meter install deadline.

It is possible that by July 2018 they will be installing the supplier agnostic 'SMETSv2' meters though.

Stop sniggering at the back, I didn't say probable!
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 26 November 2017 at 1:19AM
    Recently switched to British Gas from Scottish Power as it was the cheapest fixed deal until Jan 2019.

Just read the small print and it says the tariff is designed for smart meters (arf arf arf....I smell BS) and I need to get them installed by July 2018 or my tariff could be withdrawn.

However I don't want a smart meter. So I am going to bat them off

Anyone else come across this with other suppliers?
    Keep a good watch for any good BG or Sainsburys Energy tariffs coming up in the in the next 7 months
    .Every now and then really good BG/Sainsburys collectives or other cheap fixes turn up which have been up there with the cheapest.. Anything which equals or betters the current All Online Jan 2019 will do to enable you to move off this tariff and therefore cancel the t/c s of the smart meter obligations.
    You can switch tariffs with the same supplier exit free, and that includes Sainsburys Energy as well as BG
    Dont forget the terms state that you must agree to have one fitted by July 2018, actually joining the smart meter queue and having the fitting team accessing your property and fitting them is a different kettle of fish. You may not hear them knocking at your door ! I would be very surprised if a fitter turned up before the end of the fixed term in 2019.They work very slowly
    My BG smart meters took 4 or 5 visits from the teams because I refused to have a day off in the week and lose money.Eventually they turned up on a Saturday morning appointment when I was at home.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure