MSE News: RBS bottom in our banking poll as First Direct remains top

Options
Former_MSE_Ben_S
Former_MSE_Ben_S Posts: 39 Forumite
edited 10 August 2017 at 1:30PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
First Direct remains top of our banking table for customer service, while RBS has ranked bottom...
Read the full story:
'RBS bottom in our banking poll as First Direct remains top'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    According to the detailed results of this poll, there were more votes for First Direct than any other institution (more than Barclays and Lloyds combined for example) except Santander 123, but I'd be amazed if their share of the current account market was anywhere near the top five.

I know this sort of thing is really just a bit of fun but anyone who takes them seriously should be aware of how these flawed polls are so heavily distorted by a vocal minority (however happy they may be)....

Roll on the introduction of a genuine and impartial approach to measuring service!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They also strangely separate the Halifax Reward (from other Halifax accounts) when this is their only free account you can apply for.

I wonder if there was surge of First Direct staff on MSE during voting ;)
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Never been a customer of First Direct, so couldn't comment.

I've had a Lloyds account since 2010 and to be honest, had no issues with them. I also have accounts with both Nationwide and more recently, TSB. Nationwide in my opinion, are superb, never ever had an issue with them. I've got one of their Flex Direct packaged accounts with Travel Insurance, car breakdown etc and it suits me and 'er indoors just great.

As for TSB, early days yet. I've only just switched to them from M&S bank using the MSE link and TSB have just very kindly given me £130 of completely free money for a totally hassle free switch! How nice of them! However, so far, so good!

I left M&S because of their truly appalling banking App, which was at the time, virtually useless to man and beast. They have just, in the last week or so, completely updated the App apparently, so that it is as useful as the other major banks. From a daily banking experience, M&S Bank were ok and I'd switch back to them again if the deal was right. It was just the mobile banking, it was truly awful. Why they ever launched a fully fledged bank account without providing a proper functional banking App, is anyones guess!

I have a friend of mine who constantly whinges and moans about his bank, but to be fair, I know his financial situation and he's moaning because he is fiscally incompetent and cannot manage his personal finances. It is of course his banks fault lol!
  • jamie_02
    jamie_02 Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    So 29 people voted RBS as 'poor'. 29 people, out of how many tens of millions of customers they have?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    jamie_02 wrote: »
    So 29 people voted RBS as 'poor'. 29 people, out of how many tens of millions of customers they have?
    I'd be surprised if they have tens of millions of customers, although many like to think they have tens of millions of 'shareholders', aka taxpayers.

To be fair, that 29 is out of the 139 RBS customers who could be bothered to vote, but that's my main point, that those who choose to do so shouldn't be seen as representative, in the same way that First Direct (in my experience anyway) shouldn't be held up as the ultimate answer to the country's banking needs just because of an enthusiastic posse of customers who use MSE more than most.

The high response rates for of FD (and Santander 123) on an MSE poll can't be entirely unrelated to the promotion these banks have received on this site....
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Caddyman wrote: »

I left M&S because of their truly appalling banking App, which was at the time, virtually useless to man and beast. They have just, in the last week or so, completely updated the App apparently, so that it is as useful as the other major banks.
    The new M&S app is literally as useless as the old one. It isn't even remotely like any of the apps of other banks - not even like the HSBC or FD one.
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    The new M&S app is literally as useless as the old one. It isn't even remotely like any of the apps of other banks - not even like the HSBC or FD one.

Thank you for putting me straight on that one! I don't feel at all guilty then about leaving and jumping ship to TSB!

I cannot understand why M&S Bank who are owned by HSBC, don't just use a customised version of the HSBC Banking App, which I'm assuming is a proper App that is usable? Odd that.......
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Been with Lloyds Bank since 1984 and found them to be really good. The only issue I had was in early 1984 when I wanted to make my £150 overdraft facility permanent. The assistant manager said ok with him but the manager did not like me so was rejected. How times have moved on. Also Nationwide brilliant.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have my RBS bank manager's mobile number and he calls me from time to time to check the service is OK.

Lloyds in the past "requested" that I provide personal guarantees for some business borrowing and once this was in place immediately foreclosed!
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • GingerFurball_2
    Options
    First Direct are anecdotally rubbish.
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure