Flexible Working. Reduce lunch break...

Options
Good Afternoon,

I have been with my company for over 5 years now and due to my daughter starting school in September I am required to change my hours in order to support with collection.

Ordinarily I work 9-5 with a 1 hour lunch break but I am requesting a change in hours from September to 9-4:30 with a half hour lunch break.

I have unofficially discussed this with my HR representative and he advised that I would be able to go down to the hours requested but cannot sacrifice my lunch break as they're unpaid, I would therefore have to take a salary sacrifice of a daily half an hour.

Now of course I would much rather take the hit on lunch break in order to preserve my salary, am I being unreasonable here? Apparently they have rejected similar claims before and therefore it's unlikely mine would be accepted.

I have asked them to arrange a formal meeting as per process but not feeling very confident based on the "informal conversation".

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Comments

• ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    If they let you do it, everyone will want to do it. Literally everyone.
  • bluenose2
    bluenose2 Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If they let you do it, everyone will want to do it. Literally everyone.

If I have a justifiable reason (single Mother, working full time hours) then surely they will understand my position is set in stone, I won't be doing it just because I'd like a shorter day.

Do they take that into account?!
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    I expect others will consider their reasons justified also. They are refusing because, as mentioned, it will set a precedent and consequently have a negative impact on the business.

They are offering you a solution. The other option would be for your child to attend after school club or similar.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    as my nan would say you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

I'd politely point out that the paid hours are the same (9 - 5 with an hour unpaid lunch is 7 working hours as is 9 - 4.30 with 30 minutes unpaid lunch) and that it would be more productive than having a shorter afternoon.

point out to them the increased lunch time cover.

In other words point out the benefits to them as a business rather than to you
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    as my nan would say you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

I'd politely point out that the paid hours are the same (9 - 5 with an hour unpaid lunch is 7 working hours as is 9 - 4.30 with 30 minutes unpaid lunch) and that it would be more productive than having a shorter afternoon.

point out to them the increased lunch time cover.

In other words point out the benefits to them as a business rather than to you

I think they know all this. They also know that the downside to them as a business is they will either have a lot of irritated staff or no cover at all after 4:30.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    bluenose2 wrote: »
    I have unofficially discussed this with my HR representative and he advised that I would be able to go down to the hours requested but cannot sacrifice my lunch break as they're unpaid, I would therefore have to take a salary sacrifice of a daily half an hour.

This would worry me....

Either the HR rep is stupid or thinks you are stupid.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    I think they know all this. They also know that the downside to them as a business is they will either have a lot of irritated staff or no cover at all after 4:30.

True - especially as this sort of request has been turned down before.

If I was the OP I'd look to see what 2.5 hrs meant in £s after the drop in tax & NI was taken into account
  • Scorpio33
    Scorpio33 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What about offering to work 8:30 - 16:30. Is that feasible?

Practically, any requests for changing in working patterns have to be considered by a business. They can't turn requests down based on the reason for the request, they can only turn them down if they have a business reason to do so.

So it you request to finish at 4:30, explain how the current work would be covered and how the team you work within would operate. They can say no due to the fact they couldn't cope with all staff requesting to do those same hours, but they could equally say yes.

To me, I would offer to work 8:30 - 4:30 and if they kick up a fuss about that, then look for another job which can accommodate your childcare needs. If you can't get there for 8:30, then speak to HR and ask how they can fit in you finishing at 4:30. If the only option is to reduce your salary, then that is the only option you have.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Scorpio33 wrote: »
    What about offering to work 8:30 - 16:30. Is that feasible?

Practically, any requests for changing in working patterns have to be considered by a business. They can't turn requests down based on the reason for the request, they can only turn them down if they have a business reason to do so.

So it you request to finish at 4:30, explain how the current work would be covered and how the team you work within would operate. They can say no due to the fact they couldn't cope with all staff requesting to do those same hours, but they could equally say yes.

To me, I would offer to work 8:30 - 4:30 and if they kick up a fuss about that, then look for another job which can accommodate your childcare needs. If you can't get there for 8:30, then speak to HR and ask how they can fit in you finishing at 4:30. If the only option is to reduce your salary, then that is the only option you have.
    They can turn them down for any reason you want, whether the OP wishes to take it further is up to them but probably unlikely.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    This would worry me....

Either the HR rep is stupid or thinks you are stupid.

Why do you think this? What they have said looks pretty straightforward to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure