PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Daily Thread for Monday 27th July

Options
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.
Chin up, Titus out.

Comments

• Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all
    Typical, hubby doesn't start work until 10 & I've been awake since 4:30!
    Yesterday I emptied out my pan cupboard, threw away some warped baking trays & badly warped roasting tins, cleaned out the cupboard & put the rest back neatly. I made 3 jars of pickled beetroot, today I need to buy a cooking apple & then I'll make some beetroot chutney. I went to get the vinegar out of the corner cupboard & the shelf collapsed, so I need to empty the rest of the cupboard & then get hubby to replace the shelf.
    Today I'm going to DD2's to look after the youngest whilst she goes out with the older 2, tomorrow I'm going to visit DD1 & her tribe, I bought a book of Querkles for her 9 & 10 year old, I've cut the pages out of the book to save them arguing over it. Querkles are sort of colouring by numbers but made up of circles & quite addictive.
    Have a good day everyone
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

Raining here again and meant to be set in for the day again, I am at the busier site today which means that it will be quiet as the rain puts people off.

Little madam who phoned in sick is denying that she went out partying the night before, the photos she sent were on an app that disappears after 10 seconds, what she doesn't realise is that dd has the texts from her asking dd to go over to her party ! I really wouldn't mind but don't think I am stupid enough to lie too :mad:. I shall be having words when I see her.

Not sure about dinner tonight might just be a pizza and salad will see how I feel when I finish work, got to put a wash on tonight and have a hoover through.

Mrs LW I meant to say I have also had loads of black currants (and white currants and gooseberrys) this year, much more than usual, its been a bumper year for them!

Right better get on have good days all xx
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]LameWolf I have all sorts of conversations with Scampi when I'm distracting him from something - “let's go and hang the washing out, then we can find your dish and we'll have some dinner – oh no I dropped a peg, you're not going to steal it are you?” :rotfl: His little head goes from side to side and he's thinking “dunno what you mean but I'll humour you OH DID YOU SAY DINNER?!” lol. I think mr tru thinks he actually understands me just because he appears to be listening – I've actually caught him trying to reason with Scampi :rotfl: I have to laugh or I'll do something bad, like throw him out the window. Mr tru, not the dog.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The rain stopped at about 11am yesterday so we went out for a long walk, it started again just after we got in and carried on til teatime, when the sun came out. Too late, I'm not starting any gardening at that time of day :D It was raining again by 7pm.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Not sure why I plan to do anything on fridays and sundays, nothing I want or need to do gets done. I managed to vacuum and that was it, I'll go back to yesterday's jobs list then see how far I get with today's things.[/FONT]

:beer:
    Bulletproof
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning everyone.

Yesterday turned out much better than forecast, rain didn't start until about 3.30pm. We got ourselves ready again and went off to visit the hydro electric power station which is hidden inside a mountain. They do a short guided tour which was fascinating. A bacon roll in the little cafe there set us all up well.

Then we began the trip south and stopped off again at Inveraray Castle which is just lovely. Next port of call was the airport to drop off the visitor and then slogged home in the awful rain. I was in bed by 8 o'clock and have just woken up. Great weekend.

Today will be a resting kind of day. If the rain holds off I'll get the guest bed sheets and towels washed and hung out, otherwise they can wait.

There's bacon and egg for breakfast and soup for later.

I've discovered a black currant bush in my garden just the other day. There are only loads of yet unripened berries on it so am not sure. And the other day during my walk around the farm I found two banks of red currants in the 'garden' of an empty and falling down farm cottage. They are bursting with ripe fruit so I'll check with the farmer before picking any.

I hope everyone has a good start to the week.
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Morning one and all. The much needed rain started yesterday afternoon and looks set to continue on and off all day, then again tomorrow! Come back summer!

A peaceful morning in store then the 3 DGDs are here. They have requested sausage & mash and my special gravy for tea. So that's easily solved, especially as I got my big yummy sausage order last week! As usual the house will be like a bombsite but at least they will be taking our mind off the forthcoming scans etc.

Lunch yesterday was the promised Italian Chicken, Mr TA said he'd forgotten just how good it was. Supper was the last of the ys sea bass in lemon & parsley sauce I got half price a few months ago. I bought about 6 boxes and wish I had picked up more as it's been delicious.

I have some towels and other bits to wash this morning but no chance of it going on the line. I hate drying indoors.

Have a good day all, whatever you are up to. (((HUGS)))) to those in need. Have a good trip Mrs LW, we've had two hols in Barcelona and loved it (yum yum all those Tapas bars!) but do watch your purse, pickpocketing is rife, although I'm sure you'll have already been warned about that.

Take care all x
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • tired_mum
    tired_mum Posts: 2,340 Forumite
    Options
    Good Morning all
    Tru :rotfl:
    RR hope the little chat goes ok
    Looking forward to the week lots going on so lots to look forward to
    Going to set myself some goals as i need to find my get up and go
    not brave enough to join fly lady just yet
    Dinner tonite is yesterdays left overs
    Have a good day whatever you are up to
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone :hello:

I've woken up to a very quiet house this morning. Hubby has left for work already and the girls are all still fast asleep. Even Max and the cat are asleep too, there is a wicked part of me that thinks it would be a great time to test the smoke alarms :D:D.

It's stopped raining for now but it's very windy out. A day for staying home in the warm and catching up on chores I think. The bathroom needs a good going over and the rubber bath mat needs replacing again. DD15 is brilliant at cleaning this room so I will let her get on with it once she's up and had breakfast.

DD14 came back early from Butlins as they had all had enough. They really enjoyed themselves but my eldest DD said it was absolutely heaving there and the weather was against them. The grandchildren were asleep in the back of the car so I didn't see them but I'm sure they had a brilliant time as well.

It was my son-in-law to be's birthday while they were away so they are having a buffet tea tonight at their house to celebrate. This puts me in a tricky situation. On the one hand I would like to go and actually meet him properly but on the other my agrophobia is screaming at me not to leave the house. I really don't want to offend him but I am already starting to panic a bit about it and it's not for hours yet. I will wait and see what I can manage nearer the time. My girls will be happy to go and my hubby has also said he will be going after work.

I need to ring my GP this morning to get a new prescription sent to the chemist and that's about it for me. My lunch is prepared already, I will probably not have to make tea either if everyone is disappearing over my eldest's house .

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good Morning everyone, grey and windy here today but at least it's not raining. He Who Knows has a horrid head cold and has taken it for a walk to the allotment, DD1 has surfaced and had breakfast and is reading and sneezing so I think she has it too, I got all their washing processed as they came home yesterday and I'll iron it in a little while. Today will be ironing, packing for Barcelona and feeding them both and perhaps time for a nice ambly walk if the weather holds which will be pleasant.
    Looking forward to my holiday and some warmth temperatures are 25 deg to 28 deg through the week so not too hot but warm enough, lovely.

Have yourselves a nice day everyone, Lyn xxx.

McCULLOCH nice to see your post this morning, made me happy xxx.
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,585 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Life has been busy again, I'm still spending quite a lot of time with DD though thankfully her neck is improving and she is now able to stand up for longer periods of time. She's starting phasing back in to work - the physio has told her no more than 15 mins every hour, luckily she's able to work from home. She had a shock last week when work told her they weren't going to pay her any more (after 4 weeks) and as SSP is only £88 she panicked a bit. They've now said they'll pay her half pay which is something.

She had a wedding dress fitting on Saturday and changed her mind about it again but it's now finalised and she looks absolutely beautiful. We also picked up the bridesmaid dresses so I need to post them out today (I took DS' fianc!'s round and it fitted which was a relief as we didn't have huge faith in the assistant).

I'm having terrible trouble falling asleep, I feel very tired when I go to bed but by the time I'm in bed I've woken up. Maybe I should do my cleansing routine earlier I might try that tonight.

Tru, I was the only one in the house our dogs obeyed instantly, I loved them but never let them feel they were equals, I was pack leader and everyone else was a pack member and had no real weight in their eyes. My MIL used to complain when they begged while she was eating, I had no sympathy because she used to feed them titbits off her plate - they never came near me while I was eating, they knew it was useless. Does that make me sound really mean?

Please everyone cross your fingers for me - mum's house is due to be exchanged on and completed this week, after 18 months I just want it to be gone.

I'd better go and dress now, I was late up because of the not sleeping thing.

Have a good day.
  • wealthygirl
    wealthygirl Posts: 409 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

You can tell I'm not working as I'm on my laptop much earlier:D

Snoozer, fingers crossed for the house exchange.
    RR hope the assistant is suitably apologetic for her actions.
    Tru, I do love reading about you and Scampi, makes me smile.
    Mrs LW have a lovely time in Barcelona.
    elona hope the viewing goes well this afternoon.

Well today is dry but grey. I have one lot of towels hung out and the 2nd load to go out shortly. I'm just going to have a quick tidy round and do the ironing this morning.

I need to pop out for a few bits later, and DD should be home for dinner today. She seems to have had a good weekend, sofa surfing around her friends'.

I've made a summer pudding for tonight and will probably make a quorn bolognaise.

My cherry plum jam has set a little too well:mad: It tastes nice, but not sure what to do about it. Has anybody got any kind suggestions?

Have a good day everyone. x
    SPC 11 #445
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family