PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Anyone remember School Dinner Pink Iced Tray Bake? I'm hunting for a recipie..

Options

Comments

• IrishRose12
    IrishRose12 Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    D&#8517 wrote: »
    Was it caramel tart Rose?? I think I posted the recipe on the school dinners thread it's one of my favourites :)

Could be, we always called it Toffee cake lol. We were easily amused:o
    Am about to get lost in that thread now:eek:
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2024 £537/£3,500£1 a day challenge 2024 - £91/£730 Declutter a bag a week in 2024 6/52Lose 24lb - 3/24lbs Read 1 book per week - 5/52Pay off credit card debt 7/100%
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Right mum brought her book over and this is what she has down for it she says they were boring and did white icing tho lol
    6 oz marg
    6 oz caster sugar
    2 large eggs
    8 oz sr flour
    2 tblspns milk
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract

She said they used to have huge tubs of marg rather than butter at school that's why marg is used here but I'm sure it'd be fine with butter too.

They used huge mixers and quadrupled the recipe and did it as an all in one mix too.

Giger sorry no luck for your one she didn't recognise it I'm afraid so it may be a regional thing?

To make you all feel hungry she brought me over a batch of spam fritters too lol I love my mum!!

Yes, it's the Tottenham cake recipe more or less
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I knew it as Tottenham cake also, OH loved it
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • PlymouthMaid
    PlymouthMaid Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oo will check those links out as I loved caramel tart and the traybakes with chocolate custard.
    "'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life
    Try to make ends meet
    You're a slave to money then you die"
  • minimad1970
    minimad1970 Posts: 6,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    For people that don't bake some branches of Gregg's sale Tottenham cake. It's one of my favourites and I tend to buy it there so I'm limited to one slice :o
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    Lots of recipes here
    http://www.schoolrecipes.co.uk/
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Have passed that on to mum about the name of it thankyou its nice to know its history :) Mrs Watts (head cook) just had a large folder in the kitchens she worked from so I presume a lot of the stuff was just from recipe books she liked.Mum's not sure why they cooked what they did.I remember the huge mixers and cavernous pots they used to have in there,everything was cooked from scratch.It must have been backbreaking work.

Its so nice to hear most of us remember our school dinners fondly even the scoops of lumpy mash potato and congealed mince lol
  • Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    Options
    I used to love the Fish Pie that was served at our school - in the 1950's.

Not sure what was in the sauce, but it was very pale pink in colour - definitely NOT the customary white sauce that we normally had with fish. Possibly 'tomato puree' :undecided.

We DID seem to get cabbage at least twice a week. Peas also seemed to feature quite regularly and sometimes carrots - especially in 'Savoury Mince'. Never got cauli, broccoli or parsnips though.

At that time school dinners cost 5/- (shillings) per week - but you had to stay FOR THE FULL WEEK - no chance of just having school dinner on a couple of days in the week!
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Pink custard and chocolate custard were actually blancmange :)
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • lulu2224
    Options
    Right mum brought her book over and this is what she has down for it she says they were boring and did white icing tho lol
    6 oz marg
    6 oz caster sugar
    2 large eggs
    8 oz sr flour
    2 tblspns milk
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract

She said they used to have huge tubs of marg rather than butter at school that's why marg is used here but I'm sure it'd be fine with butter too.

They used huge mixers and quadrupled the recipe and did it as an all in one mix too.

Giger sorry no luck for your one she didn't recognise it I'm afraid so it may be a regional thing?

To make you all feel hungry she brought me over a batch of spam fritters too lol I love my mum!![/QUOTE

I'm looking for a cake recipe from my high school, it was a tray bake vanilla sponge cake that was either white or really pale yellow, really tall and fluffy and had white icing with sprinkles on... is this the same recipe?

Also, for he recipe you've given, what size tin? Round? Square? what oven temp? And Baking time?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure