Old dog, strange behaviour.

Options
Hope someone who's experienced this, might shine a light on what my old dog is going through and how to help us. I wrote about Jaffa's death and Paddy's adoption years back.

I adopted him aged 9 I was told, a Cocker Spaniel. So 16 or 17now is the Vet's estimate.

He is now completely blind due to cataracts.

He's happy. We go on short walks, always on lead, he has a new garden to explore, banging his head along the way until I guide him to the step.

My problem is he won't stay in the same room as me.

He has two beds. One in the kitchen and the other beside me in the sitting room.

He won't leave his bed in the kitchen. Last night I tried to get him in with me and stroked him. He couldn't wait to escape back to his kitchen bed.
What to do?

Comments

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Let him lie in the kitchen bed.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Paddy_McGinty
    Options
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    Let him lie in the kitchen bed.
    The kitchen space will be no more as the Council will be ripping it out.
    I'm asking why he won't engage anymore with me? Dogs, especially when old or sick mostly want to be close to their owner.

If he was depressed, I'd think about PTS, but he's happy and loves his Orijen, followed by a treat.
    Its the disengage that's doing me. I want my dog beside me to stroke and cuddle.

What's the point of a dog who I only see at meal times? I love him of course I do, but why won't he come in the same room as me? I'm asking really, is he preparing to die? Is this why he's separating himself from me?
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It shouldn't be about what you want, after all this time - it should be about what he wants. However, if there is going to be a problem when the council will be ripping out the kitchen, then move his kitchen bed into your bedroom. That is obviously the bed he prefers. Just don't over-think things.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any reason why he is not being treated for his cataracys. I presume they are no different to human ones
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dogs can suffer canine dementia which can cause unusual behaviours. If you haven't already, an MOT at the vet to check for new or changes in existing health issues is worthwhile with any change in behaviour.
  • dandy-candy
    Options
    I doubt it's anything to do with you, could it be that something is different in the sitting room? Does he maybe not like the noise of the TV? Or is the kitchen warmer? Or maybe he likes being near his water and food bowls?
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    Any reason why he is not being treated for his cataracys. I presume they are no different to human ones

My dog has them too, my vet said they don't tend to do anything about them as sight is not nearly as important to dogs as to humans, and the stress/risk/pain/recovery period is not worth it for them.

They do adapt, smell is their main sense I think, followed by hearing.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Cost is a big factor in surgery for cataracts in dogs. Not all are suitable for surgery.

Surgery would be a unlikely for an elderly who would need an aneasthetic.

When a dog loses one sense the other senses become more alert so he may be upset by some noise in the sitting room. It may be a noise that you are not aware of
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I suspect dementia too.

Joly the elder of my two 14 year-old cavaliers, has changed his behaviour. He has almost lost the sight in one eye and is rather unsteady on his legs now, but the vet says he is quite happy in his own world.

Joly has gone the opposite to your dog, as he doesn't like being left,even with the other dog. He used to be a real mummy's boy,crying when ever I left him, even with my husband,but now he doesn't wag his tail at me (where once he would bark in joy that I was back),but he comes tome quickly enough if I have treats or am eating anything and prowls round his bowl at feeding time.

He does recognize us, though, which is odd. I say this because my husband takes him to the corner,while I walk the other dog further,picking them up on the way back and he never follows anyone else passing by.

I think that as long as they are happy,we have to put up with their little ways,just like us humans, many of whom go odd later in life.
  • Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dementia does affect dogs and they revert to their comfort zones.

Having said that, my dog from the age of about 5-6 decided she wanted to sleep in a different room. Whatever room I enter, she leaves it to go sleep somewhere else. Awake, she's super sociable and wants company, but she clearly likes her own space to sleep! (now there is a puppy in the house, she won't even be on the same floor of the house as the rest of us - if we're upstairs, she's downstairs and vice versa).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure