Squirrelgirls MF quest

Options

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Re: books (and CDs/ DVDs/ games) - try ziffit or music magpie. Cashback through tcb or quidco also available, bringing up the total a bit. Download the app to your phone and scan in - much quicker. Also when you have the rejected pile of books from one, try scanning them for the other :)

Not usually masses of money - but better than nothing and gets rid of a load I one go - and you don't pay postage so all money is back to you :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    greent wrote: »
    Re: books (and CDs/ DVDs/ games) - try ziffit or music magpie. Cashback through tcb or quidco also available, bringing up the total a bit. Download the app to your phone and scan in - much quicker. Also when you have the rejected pile of books from one, try scanning them for the other :)

Not usually masses of money - but better than nothing and gets rid of a load I one go - and you don't pay postage so all money is back to you :)

Thanks for that greent!! :D

I will do that over the next few days - there are a lot of books and it's time that I let them go and get some additional space in my house :o

I have paid off a lot of the cc today but have also met a large expense for my grandbaby so it's not totally clear :( however, I will pay the remainder off next month so I'm not going to get too wound up about it ;)

I am looking forward to keeping a really close eye on things in April - the MOT is looking as if it may be reasonable so that will free up more cash which I am going to split between the cc and the mortgage op - it's not a huge amount of money as there is a bit of work to do, but it will all help :D

The greenhouse is sorted and the seedlings planted on now - the leaves went in too so I'm happy with my progress there :D I do love home grown food - and because I usually buy organic when possible, it saves me quite a bit of money growing my own.

I have the beginnings of a menu plan but I need to do a bit more work on it. I am going to change my diet a bit for the next month or so; I need to eat more healthily and regularly - I eat well when I can be bothered but I still eat a lot of rubbish as snacks. I'm going to concentrate on my health for a while and my diet is the first thing I needed to look at - I can use a lot of things that I have in stock anyway so it's still going to be cheap to do. So, food is pretty much sorted - exercise next! All exercise has to be done at home - I'm not prepared to pay for classes as that can be additional mortgage money!;)

I'm hopefully going to be able to clear the cc and order the new sofas and carpet for the front room by the end of April - that will mean I will be able to add a bit more to the op fund from May onwards....fingers crossed! :rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Wow, its been a long time since I have been on here!!

Things are going well and I have made an op today which has taken the mortgage is down to just under20k (literally... it's £13 under ;)) :j:j

Naturally, I'm really happy about that but I'm even happier that from the end of October, I'll be able to make some serious in roads again and that the plans all worked out!! :A:rotfl:

We have a couple of things yet to obtain but they are all factored in and the cash is ready for them, we are both on board with getting rid of it and unless something really drastic happens, we should be mortgage free as of 1st April 2019 (unless I get itchy feet and do something stupid and pay the early re-payment fee!!! ;))

I need to spend more time on the boards though - the ease with which I lose focus is quite disturbing despite the successes; I know that all of this could have come a lot quicker had I have stuck to the plans reasonably well....as it is, I have mostly been very lax over the past year and it's time to get back on the MFW wagon properly... I'm looking forward to it though - I like to see the figures reduce and seeing the difference every penny makes ;):D
  • Betterthanever
    Options
    Welcome back on board the wagon.....there seems to be enough seats for us all! I'm excited to hear your bucket list plans....we are away here making ours too!
  • Thanks BTE:D

My bucket list includes visiting specific places in Brazil, Venezuela and Chile plus an opera tour of Italy, a stay in the Ice Hotel to see the Northern Lights and a weekend looking at Gaudi's buildings in Barcelona ;) It's definitely enough to keep me motivated as the first one could be as little as 18 months away!! :j We do have a trip to Borneo too next year but that's a birthday/anniversary trip as we have been there before! ;)

I'm having my final slob day today - dh has just gone to the shop to buy some soya milk as I have run out of beans (annoyed about this as I was at the local health food shop last week :mad:) and then we will spend the rest of the day just watching dvds and pottering :D
    I was going to do my food inventory today but I think that I will wait until during the week when I won't get the temptation to cook loads of stuff that will end up in the freezer :o:rotfl:

I'm looking forward to looking at my mortgage balance tomorrow - the op I made won't show until then and I really want to see a 1 at the beginning of the figure!! :rotfl: I need to work out what should be in the bill account so that I know if I can do a shift of additional funds to the mortgage - I haven't really looked at the account since it became the bill account as we just put the cash in and the dd's come out but I think that we may have a few extra quid that could be transferred ;)

I have put my expenses in at work so they should add a little bit of spare cash to the mortgage. I also have a lot of furniture that I need to get rid of - I'm reluctant to put it up for sale as I really don't want people round my house so intended to give it to a charity that I support but I'm really conflicted now because of the extra cash it could generate. I think I need to make a decision soon though as it's driving me nuts having it around when we don't need it anymore. I am definitely going to have it gone by the end of October though, whatever I decide!

Right, dh should be back soon so I shall go and put the kettle on and pick the first DVD of the day! Have a great rest of weekend :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    A late but quick post to update on my plan....I am going to stop drinking latte this month at work and take in my teabags to use instead ;) I'll take enough for tomorrow as it's a really early start for me and I need the caffine :o Tuesday onwards though, no more buying anymore for the month...saves on my lack of soya bean problem too! ;)
    I'm going to throw everything I can at the mortgage for the rest of the year and see how far I can get ...I am looking forward to this! :D
  • Betterthanever
    Options
    Good luck! I'm a coffee addict, so it's always the very last thing I'd consider giving up!
  • Downshifterella
    Options
    Oooo good luck on giving up the coffees, in fact mind if I join you? It's a bad habit I've got into the past couple of years ( well not "bad" but "daily/expensive"!) . Taking teabags will save I reckon £7 + a week!

Wow to having a mortgage with a 1 at the beginning-enjoy!! Love your travel list too, some amazing places there!

Ella X
    MF planning for the simple life :beer::j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oooo good luck on giving up the coffees, in fact mind if I join you? It's a bad habit I've got into the past couple of years ( well not "bad" but "daily/expensive"!) . Taking teabags will save I reckon £7 + a week!

Wow to having a mortgage with a 1 at the beginning-enjoy!! Love your travel list too, some amazing places there!

Ella X

More than happy to have the company!! I have enough soya milk at work to last tomorrow so the first day of tea will be Wednesday (and the first day of murdering people is Thursday!! ;):rotfl:

I've checked the mortgage balance and I have a five figure sum which begins with a 1 :j:j:j

Dh and I have decided to throw as much as possible at the mortgage as soon as we can and we will re-adjust as we go along to avoid early repayment charges. It's bizarre being in a situation where I have to be conscious of what I am overpaying so that I don't finish it too soon!! :o It's lovely though!! ;)

Ds has given me what he owes me for rent so that's another £50 to the mortgage which I have just transferred....not much but I'm sticking everything I can on it! :D
  • I've been a bit stupid financially over the past week or so but I'm back on the wagon today!! :o

I went a bit loopy on dd's birthday and ended up spending a great deal more than I intended but I have paid cash for it all - it means that I won't have as much to put to the overpayment but that's the only thing that will be affected. If I'm honest, I'm slightly annoyed with myself but it was spent on others and we had a really lovely day so I'm not bathed in shame!! ;):rotfl:

Other than that, I have been reasonably good - not as good as I could have been but I've been crazy busy (hence not being on the boards much recently) and other than the birthday, I've pretty much spent nothing other than my necessary fuel top ups for the car and some snacks (which I shouldn't have bought :o )

I am going to be able to op around £200 at the end of the week...I haven't looked at my mortgage balance since I was last on here - I think that I will check it at the weekend and set myself a little mini-target to the end of the year. I know that I have to have some cash for solstice - we have decided on a 'slush fund' which we will put into each month and things like birthdays, solstice, family stays etc will come out of that. We are going to keep it in the offset so that it helps with our ops though! ;) we also have a few social engagements over the next few months which we will need additional cash for as they will require overnight stays so this will hopefully cover the bulk of those too. The additional food and drink costs will be met by our persie cash though - I'm not going to use other funds for that!

I have to go away fairly soon for work - it will mean an initial outlay but I will get the majority of it back - I have decided that I am going to put 20% of any expenses I get into the op's from next month. The petrol allowance I get covers most of the car expenses I have and as I use cash for everything, the money is put aside, petrol bought and expense forgotten about. Saving 20% of what I get later won't seem like a hardship ;):D

Right, I'd better go and get a jumper on....it's getting chilly with the wind picking up but I'm avoiding putting the heating on for now;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure