PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    ...and not always a good one!

My cupboards are quite bare, I had planned to shop today but seeing as I am having a 'duvet day' that ain't happening now.

So a question, I do have some uncooked chicken breasts in the freezer, thought I might do something with one with some pasta (as I do have that) and frozen veg...but how long do I need to defrost the chicken? Is it too late for tonight bearing in mind I don't eat till about 8pm usually. Or can I defrost it in the nuker..you may have gathered I'm not au fait with cooking chicken.

TIA :)

If it is in some sort of packaging, pop the packaging into water. Not hot. Just normal cold water.
    It will speed up the defrosting process considerably.

I would avoid microwave, unless you have one of the expensive ones that have clever defrosting system.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    Options
    Bugg4h all in Sainsbobs... YS section's a huge joke. There was an item there £5 reduced down to £4.41. Yeah, right ...

I find the same as you with Sainsburys YS section. Their reductions are never really worth bothering with. There is never usually enough off to make it worth while for the use by date. I was after some bread last week and popped in there first thing and what I wanted was YS but they had taken a whole 10p off. I didn't bother and bought a loaf elsewhere with a decent used by date.

I have been out and called into Waitrose on the way home and they had bread y/s and it was all reduced by at least 50%.
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    Options
    I find the same as you with Sainsburys YS section. Their reductions are never really worth bothering with. There is never usually enough off to make it worth while for the use by date. I was after some bread last week and popped in there first thing and what I wanted was YS but they had taken a whole 10p off. I didn't bother and bought a loaf elsewhere with a decent used by date.

I have been out and called into Waitrose on the way home and they had bread y/s and it was all reduced by at least 50%.

Sainsbobs reduce several time during the day.
    I used to pop in at 7pm after a class and loads of stuff was ridiculously cheap... While if I go any earlier they haven't got anything interesting.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 13 June 2017 at 4:03PM
    Options
    Had one of these let-downs that workmen in this area are very prone to:mad:. That being - they didnt turn up as promised.

So - tonight's dinner is what I could get at Aldi - and I had in mind treating myself as a "reward" for having been let-down. My way of not "killing" them for doing that - as I was never used to let-down workmen - until I moved.....:cool:. I only found out I was being let-down (yet....a'blimmin again....:mad:) because I "chased".:cool:. So I compensate myself for this abnormal (to me) treatment.

So:
    - prepared crayfish and mango salad with coconut, lime and chilli dressing
    - guess I'd better have a few new potatoes (boiled) as a "side" with that (as Aldi still don't do decent bread).
    - followed by some home-grown strawberries and West Country clotted cream (can't think why....:cool:).....

I've been promised the blimmin' workmen will be in tomorrow after all......:cool:

Have been reinforcing my resolve as to how my house will be - by a bottle of lager I also bought while there (ahem....) and checking out how housing has been done in a reasonable area of London (ie to remind myself that it IS reasonable to expect my home to be the way I've decided - as many of them have). Am trying not to think just how to get some of what I am having (ie because I'm being told it's impossible - hmmm...)....sighs....
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I knew when I ate earlier that I was going to "eat well" tonight, but I scoffed anyway.

Tea was, of course, the final two chinese chicken/batter pieces - served with those oven chips I bought earlier (I had that in mind when I bought them). Teaspoon of hot chilli relish on the side. Nom.

While that was cooking, I opened the new loaf I'd bought as I've still two LARGE tomatoes I bought over 2 weeks ago (pack of 6) ... and I made up two rounds to tomato sandwiches and popped them into a plastic container ready for "easy scoffing". One tomato was enough to make two rounds of sandwiches, so still got one left.
  • poppystar
    poppystar Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Good afternoon everyone,
    Noticed en route to the bin that something has scoffed most of my marigolds and verbena.....:mad: Ah, we have the same pest - one whole tray of marigolds disappeared as soon as planted. Even have something eating my hydrangeas which has never happened before:mad:
    Lunch was some of the soup I made yesterday with a poached duck in it and dinner will be something from the freezer that can be nuked or popped on a tray:).Thank you for cheering up my day - I can't get the picture out of my mind of a whole duck topping off your bowl of soup:rotfl:
    :

Me - once again I've shopped then been too out of it to actually cook any of it and resorted to cooked meat and fruit:o
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    poppystar wrote: »
    Me - once again I've shopped then been too out of it to actually cook any of it and resorted to cooked meat and fruit:o

Hope you perk up soon:)

Honestly I didn't scoff a whole duck ;)

Still not decided about tonight - suspect either a pasty with veg or similiar and then I'm heading back to bed in hope of a better day tomorrow......:)
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    Well my food plan went according to plan. I didn't have lunch with my sil so ate my sandwich on the train home. I was pleased that I had the whole carriage to myself so that I could eat in peace. I got a few odds and ends in town on the walk back from the station but didn't get much because I am going to take my trolley to Aldi for its first trip there tomorrow.

I have made a list of what needs using up and done a meal plan around this so that I don't end up buying anything else tomorrow that I will just be trying to use up by the end of the week.

Hopefully it will work out ok, but only time will tell :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    .... I am going to take my trolley to Aldi for its first trip there tomorrow....

Exciting times! Did you check the wind forecast? :)

I'm fairly new to the range there as they opened here about 6 months ago... but I'm finding new things all the time - 89p for 8 choc ices for example :)
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    Exciting times! Did you check the wind forecast? :)
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: - I think I have learnt the hard way to be aware of wind when taking the trolley out :D

Those choc ices are a good price. I haven't ever been in an Aldi and we have got three in this town. I am looking forward to being able to get food much cheaper than I have been used to.

I'm quite excited, how sad is that :o
    I'm beginning to wonder if I need to "get a life" :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure