PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting from Father but paying no rent.

Options
I am a very hard situation four years ago before my father took ill with allzimers he released a house to me from another Brother. The other brother however wrecked the house and the bathroom has had a leek for the past four years. I dont have allot of money to repair , my father is still the owner of the house and yet my brother refuses as power of attorney to take any responsibility for the house. Now as I dont pay rent for the house i guess my rights and laws are limited in what I could arguee that is the law but surely the responability is still on my brother to fix the bathroom I am just really worried as the roof is about to cave in the ktichen and worried what I should do as cannot afford the repairs myself.

Comments

• Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 January 2018 at 12:22AM
    Options
    Having POA for your father your brother should be making financial decisions that are in your fathers best interests. This should include paying to fix the bathroom to stop the property losing any value. Unfortunately you would probably have to go to court to force this which may cost more than the repair.

I can't believe that it wasn't possible for you to save the small amount it would cost to fix the leak when you moved in years ago though. Most leaks if caught early can be stopped with a spare part costing just a few quid. Do you you know how much the repair is going to cost now?
  • david39ni
    Options
    I have been unemployeed for the past four years on and off when I did get money I had bills I am looking as to what is the legal standpoint here not just a best guess. I am 40 years of age and been finding gaining a new job hard of late. And was just wanting some clarification on this.
  • david39ni
    Options
    Not yet as I am afraid to get out a plumber at their £60 odd an hour call out charge.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suggest you seek advice from your council's Environmental Health department. If your situation is classed as a tenancy then there are laws (that they enforce) requiring your landlord to maintain your home.

Otherwise you might be better off moving somewhere else: if you are unemployed than Housing Benefit should cover most of the rent, and at least it would be habitable.

An alternative approach: contact a body such as Age UK to raise the issue of 'elder abuse'. They might be able to advise on what to do about your brother's failure to take care of your father's asset, the house.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    How about looking at it yourself, working out which bit is leaking, then finding a video on youtube that tells you how to fix it?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 January 2018 at 3:06AM
    Options
    You have gven us one side of the story. There are always two sides - your brother may describe things differently. My comments below will try to answer your questions, but may also raise questions you don't like....

1) You don't pay rent, so you are probably living there under licence - you are not a tenant. Thus you have few rights. Do you contribute anything to the owner (your father)? Maybe your time & labour eg DIY and redecorating after your brother 'wrecked' the house? That could be considered 'rent in kind', making you a tenant.

2) it sounds very worrying that your father's atttorney (brother) is not doing his job. He has a legal duty under POA to act in your father' best interests. That includes protecting his property from damage. And certainly not 'wrecking it'! Is he also managing your father's money? Do you have concerns about how he spends your father's money?

Maybe you should get advice about whether your brother is actually a fit person to be attorney. What else is he doing or not doing.........?

You can report him here:
    https://www.gov.uk/report-concern-about-attorney-deputy

3) Having said that, does you father have money? Or is the house his only asset? Your brother does not have to spend his own money repairing /maintaining your father's house. As Attorney he should use your father's money (if there is any). Is there?

4) If your father does not have money, then it could be argued that his Atttorney (your brother) should be trying to generate some money for your father, either by charging you rent, or by evicting you and either renting the property to someone else, or selling it. That might well be in your father's best interests, but without knowing all the facts it is impossible to say.

5) where is your father living? And how is his accomodation/care etc being paid for?

6) I too am shocked that you have let this continue for 4 years, watching damp spread and a leak continue. You have been happy to live there in a damp house? And You have been happy to watch your father's house get worse and worse? :eek:

You may not have much money, but you have plenty of time if you are not working. Have you at least found out where the leak is? It is not hard to find the pipe that is leaking.

It is also not hard to mend a pipe if you learn. You have had 4 years to look at Youtube, or to borrow a book (free!) from the library on plumbing. The actual cost of parts is probably very little.

edit: some utube instructions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raivnh0Luns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aez4ctMtbuI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIgllzb4YSo
  • Sarastro
    Sarastro Posts: 400 Forumite
    Options
    Perhaps your brother feels you should take care of the house as you are living there rent free?

What do you mean when you say the house was "released to you from another brother"?
    Debt 1/1/17 - Credit Cards £17,280.23; overdrafts £3,777.24
    Debt 5/1/18 - Credit Cards £3,188; overdrafts £0
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sarastro wrote: »
    Perhaps your brother feels you should take care of the house as you are living there rent free?

What do you mean when you say the house was "released to you from another brother"?
    agreed.

whilst the person with POA should act in the best financial interest of the father that would also mean he should not be allowing the OP to live rent free in an asset that is (apparently) deteriorating

it also seems that OP, despite being unemployed, has no time or desire to limit the deterioration by trying to fix things himself given he has free use of an entire property that is a family asset and may well come to him in father's will anyway?

seems as much a case of "it's someone else's fault" syndrome
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Where have you been living for the last 4 years mindset wise? do something about it and don't bury your head in the mouldy sand. If your in debt, stepchange are a good charity, maximise your benefits with Citizens advice bureaux.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suspect we may have scared the OP off by not being more sympathetic and understanding of his position, which was clearly that he wanted to know how he could force his brother to spend money (either his own or father's) to fix the house where he lives for free.

But there is clearly more to the story which is unlikely to be forthcoming I suspect.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure