Options
2»

Comments

• GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    KasiaKovic wrote: »
    Do you know what, I'm getting off this. Just wanted some advice as I've worked all my life and it seems because I am the only person I have spoken to who is eligible for no help with regard to any maternity benefits. Most people think this is impossible. Yet I am finding out it is. Thanks but no thanks for your unhelpful comments.

We didn't get any with our first as my wife was a student, so we saved as much as we could and my wife got a part time evening job and saved all of her earnings while pregnant, she then carried on after our daughter was born to cover any extra costs alongside my wages.
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Congratulations on the pregnancy :) and I do sympathise with the financial predicament you find yourself in, I really do. But you are in a far more fortunate position than many, many people. Welfare benefits can go someway to help those less fortunate, but because the 'pot' is not overflowing with funds, some people have to do without the handouts.

You are lucky you have a partner with a not unreasonable income.
    With careful planning, you will be able to manage.

Good luck x
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Do you know what, I'm getting off this. Just wanted some advice as I've worked all my life and it seems because I am the only person I have spoken to who is eligible for no help with regard to any maternity benefits. Most people think this is impossible. Yet I am finding out it is. Thanks but no thanks for your unhelpful comments.

Sorry but I can't lie to give you the answers you want to hear. Your partners income is above the limit for tax credits. It isn't based one whether you have worked all your life (which won't be true but I'll not be pernickety).
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have Crohns, Type 1 Diabetes and have recently been diagnosed with a very rare autoimmune condition

Do you have any care needs as a result of these illnesses?

Do you claim PIP?
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you were under the belief that you would be entitled to maternity benefits, I can understand your sense of panic, although I'm surprised you didn't find out sooner that was the case.

When my first was born, we were entitled to very basic maternity pay for a few weeks only. No such thing as tax credits either. We lived in London and just couldn't afford to continue to do so, so we moved. My partner commuted (very long hours) and I took on a job locally. When you had no choice, you got on with life and did what we had to. You'll be fine one way or the other.
  • Topcat1982
    Topcat1982 Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    So after tax, and before any child related benefits you have £1,850 per month. On top of this you will have child benefit, you can also find work around your partners hours until you go back to your studies.

The rent is £1500! Council tax could be a couple of hundred. It's likely bills will exceed their income.

OP please look into housing benefit, put the details in the calculator as if your baby is already born to see.

Also you could try PIP for your type 1 diabetes, it's not means tested
  • unlikelyheroine
    Options
    £1,500 a month is an awful lot to be paying in rent on one person's £28,000 salary...? Yes, London is expensive but flats can be rented for cheaper than that.
  • SkyeKnight
    SkyeKnight Posts: 513 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think you live in London where the average room rent is £700!!! Our rent per month is £1500 obviously plus bills and everything. So that would mean that for maternity leave time we are covering life with not sure about £500 per month. Maybe I'm in a bubble but that's not exactly rolling in it for2 people is it?

I know it's not ideal but you don't have to take six months maternity leave. The minimum is two weeks and when I was doing a PhD that's exactly what another woman did. You should have six weeks holiday as a PhD student that you can save up and use after the two weeks. Then hopefully two weeks paternity leave for your partner and some of his holiday allowance. Depending on the subject you are studying you can still do a lot of work with the baby around (obviously not so great if you are doing experimental chemistry but possible for maths or history or something). Also ask about the university creche and see if you can get a place as it may be subsidised, plus your partner may be able to get childcare vouchers from work.
  • SkyeKnight
    SkyeKnight Posts: 513 Forumite
    Options
    Oh and you can also apply to your university hardship fund once you are a student again. And I think there is a dependant's grant for postgraduates available from most unis too.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 July 2016 at 7:17PM
    Options
    If you want to claim MA, you can do that. You would need to register self employed and pay your NI in full for the test period, even though you are just going to register now. It's proven to work and many others have achieved this, PM if you want more info as not all approve.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure