We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

cabbage leaves turning red

Options
2»

Comments

• phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    edit, looks like we have the same idea :) I used to think that it had to be a mans urine, but apparently not... they will be wanting the vote next :rolleyes:

that's good - don't have to involve DH in any more of my batty ideas!
    weaving through the chaos...
  • elliep_2
    elliep_2 Posts: 711 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It'll be hard enough to persaude my DH to eat any of my veg anyway (he just doesn't 'do' veg) I think I'll be doing this kind of watering while he's at work and I won't tell him.

Is there any veg that won't like it? I read somewhere that peas and beans produce nitrogen and don't appreciate highly nigtrogenated (is that a word?) soil. So I'm guessing that if wee contains nitrogen they wouldn't like it?
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    It depends on the usage of the urine as to whether male or female is preferred as male urine contains hormones which deters rats as well.

I think you can use either if you are just using it for its nitrogen value.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It depends on the usage of the urine as to whether male or female is preferred as male urine contains hormones which deters rats as well.
    I've never heard that one before. Mine certainly doesn't deter rats at all, in fact it seems to be an attractant. :D
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've taken a photo but can't work out how to include the image in my post.

the outer leaves are turning completely red, and yellowing a little too.

I haven't had a chance to put any fertiliser on them, so I'll stop fiddling about trying to load photos and go and do that instead!

thanks for all the advice everyone
    weaving through the chaos...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family