Aren't Bicycles Great.

Options
armyknife
armyknife Posts: 596 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 8 November 2015 at 2:14AM in Public transport & cycling
Aren't bicycles great, a simple machine that let's people get places in a low cost, low impact way. Can even be maintained by people with limited mechanical skills like me.

So what are you cycle transport plans for 2015?

I'm planning on doing more long distance travel with mine and more trips by train with the folder.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Totally agree.

But lets see how long this takes to descend into an anti cycling rant by the usual suspects.
  • theEnd
    theEnd Posts: 851 Forumite
    Options
    I'm planning another long euro trip. Maybe Munich again.

But, yes. Bicycles are great.
  • 166million
    166million Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I wouldn't mind a folding one. Halford have one for about £200. But I'm not sure I am confident to go out on the roads
    **Debt Free as of 15:55 on Friday 23rd March 2012**And I am staying that way
    377 166million Sealed Pot Challenge 2018 :staradmin No. 90: Emergency fund £637
    My debt free diary http://http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630099
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just now i use my car to commute to work (20 miles there, 20 miles back) and use my bicycles for my days off & leisure.

I get a lot of enjoyment from repairing & upgrading them myself as well when possible. I enjoy fixing them more than the car for sure!

Hopefully when the nights get a bit lighter & warmer i will take the train into work with my bicycle then i can cycle the 20 miles home after it a couple of times a week.

I still find it hard to enjoy cycling on the road or just general tarmac though. Most of my enjoyment usually comes from off road cycling or flying down flights of stairs or similar.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Throbbe
    Throbbe Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    Planning to do a coast to coast ride with my brother in law and some of his friends in April and looking forward to commuting by bike a couple of days a week once the weather improves.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    armyknife wrote: »
    Aren't bicycles great, a simple machine that let's people get places in a low cost, lost impact way. Can even be maintained by people with limited mechanical skills like me.

I'm planning on doing more long distance travel with mine and more trips by train with the folder.

Good for you. Most of my travelling is from the South Coast to London. 2 hours door to door by public transport. 90 minutes by car. Impossible by bicycle.

Bicycles are great for some journeys on cycle paths. It would be interesting to know how much pollution bicycles cause when they force motorists to drive at 20 mph in third gear.

Unfortunately, many cyclists are two wheeled terrorists who think that the highway code does not apply to them. Its a pity that cyclists give bicycles a bad name.
  • armyknife
    armyknife Posts: 596 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Didn't take long did it.
  • wiogs
    wiogs Posts: 2,744 Forumite
    Options
    I would like to cycle more however the roads are not designed for cycle use round my way.

I stick to the parks when I can.

As it took me three and half hours to drive to my last job I suspect cycling might be impractical anyway.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Totally agree.

COLOR="White"]But lets see how long this takes to descend into an anti cycling rant by the usual suspects.[/COLOR]
    Didn't take long did it.

Some people are so predictable and just can't help themselves. :rotfl:
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    edited 28 January 2015 at 4:36PM
    Options

My plans are for more of the same mileage. :D

Got a couple of sportives planned. The first will take me up the highest tarmacked road in the UK, up to Great Dun Fell in the Great Dun Fell Sportive. The biggie, the Fred Whitton Challenge is the following week, taking in some of the Lake District's most iconic mountain passes, including the 30% hairpins of Hardknott Pass after 100 miles! :eek:

In August I'm taking the bike (and the family ;)) to the Bernese Oberland area of Switzerland, and while I haven't planned all my routes yet, the primary one will be a circuit from Interlaken up to Mannlichen and back, a 6,000 foot climb.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure