student loan written off at 60?

Options

Comments

• papalaz
    papalaz Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    im not aware of charges or arrears on my account, i was late getting the deferment form in to them a few yrs back so they took one payment from my account before the deferment was processed. sorry i wasnt clear about that.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    papalaz wrote: »
    im not aware of charges or arrears on my account, i was late getting the deferment form in to them a few yrs back so they took one payment from my account before the deferment was processed. sorry i wasnt clear about that.

Sorry I misunderstood . In your case, any outstanding loans will be wiped out when you reach 50.
  • papalaz
    papalaz Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    thank you, much appreciated! :)
  • DRAGONFLY17_2
    Options
    I have student loan that was taken out for my 2 children, the last one in 1998. At what point will this be forgiven?
  • tafia76
    Options
    I took out student loans in 1995, 1997, & 1998, I have been deferring them ever since, where would this leave me in terms of them being written off? Would they be grouped under the pre 1998 rules or or will they stay on record until im 65? - Il do everything within my power not to repay them if ive got them until i retire!!
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    tafia76 wrote: »
    I took out student loans in 1995, 1997, & 1998, I have been deferring them ever since, where would this leave me in terms of them being written off? Would they be grouped under the pre 1998 rules or or will they stay on record until im 65? - Il do everything within my power not to repay them if ive got them until i retire!!

They come under the pre 1998 rules.

Mine are for 1996/7/8 and they'll be written off in 1 year and 2 weeks' time!
  • tafia76
    Options
    Would the fact that my loans in 97& 98 were for a different course make any difference? I took a loan in 95 but then dropped out & started a new course in 97. My deferment correspondance from HS loans does include all 3 loans together though.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    tafia76 wrote: »
    Would the fact that my loans in 97& 98 were for a different course make any difference? I took a loan in 95 but then dropped out & started a new course in 97. My deferment correspondance from HS loans does include all 3 loans together though.

I'm not quite as certain about that but I would think so. Both courses started before 98 after all.
  • Prudence10
    Options
    Does anyone know what the situation is if you have loans due to be written off because of your age, and then you take out a new one? I have always deferred my previous loan payments, as my earnings were below the required level, and they should be written off next year. However I am now thinking of doing a PGCE, for which I would need to apply for a student loan in order to be able to manage financially. Would I still be able to apply for one? Would the loans be linked in any way?
  • Sumayah
    Options
    Hi
    I have loans from 1990, 91 and 93. I was turned 23 in 1990. I still defer them every year, will I be exempt from paying them at 50 or 60? I am 43 now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure