Are Credit (&Debit) cards valid if you don't sign them?

Options
Out of curiosity I'd like to know if cards are technically invalid if you don't sign them?

Comments

• InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Legally they are but have seem some cards T&Cs that state they must be signed before they are valid in which case using it before signing it technically would be your breach of contract.

Know some people that refuse to sign them and either colour them in or write "see photo ID" or similar instead with the view that a passport or driving license that has both photo and signature on it a better thing to check against than the often faded/ dirty signature strip.
  • thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As long as the agreement is signed and legally valid, and you use the card, you are liable for the debt. Simples.

The precise mechanics of how you spend are increasingly irrelevant.

The wording "not valid unless signed" or similar wording is probably there more as a legal reminder to STORE STAFF that if they accept an unsigned card, the store might not get paid.
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I had some oik in a shop once try to tell me that they *couldnt* take my debit card for a transaction because it wasnt signed....this was well after the advent of chip and pin. I asked the manager if he also held the same view....apparently not because he hissed at the shop assistant, took my card and processed the transaction.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    FireWyrm wrote: »
    I had some oik in a shop once try to tell me that they *couldnt* take my debit card for a transaction because it wasnt signed....this was well after the advent of chip and pin. I asked the manager if he also held the same view....apparently not because he hissed at the shop assistant, took my card and processed the transaction.

Sounds like tesco when i used to work there. We were constantly told not to allow cards without signature, but when ever a customer complained to the manager they would just say we were in the wrong and accept it
  • reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Options
    On the very rare occasion the chip will either fallback to the magnetic stripe or the PIN verification will fail and you'll end up signing. So its a good idea to have the card signed in case any of these happen.
  • reclusive46
    Options
    Never I'm just asking if a shop can refuse payment by card just because the card is unsigned
    Here is what a merchant is supposed to do.

"While checking card security features, you should also make sure that the card is signed . An unsigned card is considered invalid and should not be accepted . If a customer gives you an unsigned card, the following steps must be taken:
    • Check the cardholder’s ID . Ask the cardholder for some form of official government identification, such as a driver’s license or passport . Where permissible by law, the ID serial number and expiration date should be written on the sales receipt before you complete the transaction .
    • Ask the customer to sign the card . The card should be signed within your full view, and the signature checked against the customer’s signature on the ID . A refusal to sign means the card is still invalid and cannot be accepted . Ask the customer form of payment ."

If you don't have ID I guess the card shouldn't be accepted.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Never I'm just asking if a shop can refuse payment by card just because the card is unsigned

Of course they can refuse. Shops aren't obliged to sell you anything, no matter how you want to pay, so they can refuse to accept your card even if it is signed if they feel like it.
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was in America last week, where chip and pin is not used. Every time I used a credit card they seemed to make a point of looking at the back of it before inserting into the machine, presumably checking the signature. The thing is though that in 9 cases out of 10 they didn't check the signatures matched after the transaction!
  • inmypocketnottheirs
    Options
    msallen wrote: »
    I was in America last week, where chip and pin is not used. Every time I used a credit card they seemed to make a point of looking at the back of it before inserting into the machine, presumably checking the signature. The thing is though that in 9 cases out of 10 they didn't check the signatures matched after the transaction!

I'm a frequent traveller to the US and it's quite common for a credit or debit card just to be swiped, no signature or pin. On occasions that I am asked to sign, it's generally an electronic signature pad, rather than a paper slip.
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • reclusive46
    Options
    I'm a frequent traveller to the US and it's quite common for a credit or debit card just to be swiped, no signature or pin. On occasions that I am asked to sign, it's generally an electronic signature pad, rather than a paper slip.

I was going to say this. For most transactions under 50 dollars (For Visa and Amex and 25 USD for MC and Discover) you just swipe it and thats it.

Often the only paper receipts you sign is at restaurants or at a little independent shop.

Chip readers are being rolled out now though, over 1000 Walmarts were enabled to take EMV (chip) payments this week and the other 2000 odd that already have the readers will be enabled by end of the year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure