Real life MMD: Cat has licked our food, should we eat it?

Options

Comments

• TAFFYPOT_2
    Options
    My husband quite often eats food that the cats have pinched a bit of, not that he is always aware of the fact!
  • GWEPM
    GWEPM Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The "moral" questions of this are: Do you tell the other half when this sort of thing happens? Is it moral to throw away £20 worth of good food? Is it moral to punish the cat (or cook it) when it was just sharing in your home life. Answers all NO!
  • kevanf1
    kevanf1 Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    So how many times has the cat licked your hand? How many times have you then washed your hands? More likely you've forgotten and then picked up something to eat so same thing really. I wouldn't have a problem with it and to be honest I wouldn't even bother trimming off any of the meat. My wife probably would trim it off deliberately and give it the cat. Even though the cat we have visit us is not even ours!!!!!!!

Take care.

Kevan
    Kevan - a disabled old so and so who, despite being in pain 24/7 still manages to smile as much as possible :)
  • tenuissent
    Options
    Reminds me of my first husband trying to make me stop the cat jumping on the draining board to get out of the kitchen window. You can't train a cat, though I tried. One day after cat had shot out of the window yet again, he pointed to white specks on the draining board and said "There you are!!! Tapeworm segments!!!! Disgusting and dangerous, I'm going to get rid of the cats!" I said "I promise you they are not tapeworm segments, look......" and popped some of them into my mouth. Near collapse of husband (a vet). He hadn't noticed I was draining some rice, so I was 99% sure the specks were spilled rice. Of course you eat the meat. I think the best idea was to wipe it thoroughly, or even wash it, and put it back into a very hot oven for ten minutes, perhaps with some butter or olive oil smeared on it so it doesn't dry out. I must admit it is a great relief these days not to have a cat and to be able to leave the butter out. In the old days I was endlessly slicing bits off the butter so that the family would not notice it had been licked.
  • ALISONMJ
    Options
    Put the meat back in a hot oven and give it a 5 min blast to kill the germs then sell the cat
  • auntypog
    Options
    The cat probably has a taste of whatever you leave to cool in the kitchen. It's just that this time you spotted it.;)
    Never mash cheese: it bends the fork.
  • RascalRose
    Options
    Most pet owners don't consider stroking their pet to be a health hazard or else there would be hand washing equivalent to an OCD. Personally, as a non-pet owner, and because I'm a bit of a clean freak, I wouldn't be able to get over it but I think that it would be wasteful to throw it away if you consider how much you probably handle your cat without washing your hands. That tongue cleans their whole body after all. If it's just for you and OH, eat up!
  • morganlefe
    Options
    you share your life with the cat and you haven't died from that shared life yet so eat the meat and get rid of the OH LOL
  • BubbleFrogette
    Options
    bluebeary wrote: »

i wouldnt touch most of the well known brands with a barge pole, feline fayre or hi life only, its all about meat percentage

That is not necessarily true. Cats have obligatory requirements for dietary nutrients that are not essential for other mammals - formed via evolutionary pressures arising from a rigorous diet of animal tissue.

They have lost the capability to synthesize certain essential molecules in their bodies and thus need to obtain them from meat. But it's not the % quantity of meat that this so important; rather it's the quality. As an example, a whole fillet steak a day will be nutritionally poorer than a whole rat for example, where all organs and bones are also consumed.

I feed my cat Iams/Hills' science and am perfectly happy with this, as is my vet.

Oh and to answer the question; unless your OH is immunocompromised, I'd feed him the lamb!
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
  • shukii
    Options
    Yes, I'd eat it, I would shave the fur off first though :P
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills