Where to look next ?

Options
Hi I wonder if anyone can help as it's proving a difficult one….

My grandfather died recently and amongst his papers he'd scribbled a small note about the liquidation of a company called "Hatchards Associated Industries" on the 20th April 1953 at 3:10 pm at Hogg Bullimore & Co. in London and nothing more which was puzzling.

So intrigued and after a lot of searching on the Internet I finally found the notice about the meeting in the link below in the bottom right-hand corner, the only problem is I can't find any mention of Hogg Bullimore in Companies House or anywhere else on the net including The Law Society, The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales or the National Archives in Kew to take things forwards.

PDF....

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/39804/page/1615/data.pdf

Any thoughts on what to do next would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    What are you hoping to achieve here? There certainly won't be any inheritance to be had from a long dead company.
  • Biblio
    Biblio Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    No inheritance problems as all gone to my father but we'd both like to know what it was all about ....
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What do you want to know? It may be that your grandfather was a creditor, or a shareholder, or possibly just knew someone who was a director of the company. Even if you could find out more about the company, what specifally would you hopw to discover? If the company was liquidated over 50 years ago then it's not surprising that there are few records. If there was nothing else with the grandfather's papers then it seems unlikely that he had any major involvment with the company.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    A passing mention in Hansard says that Hatchards Associated Industries owned the Weymouth Press which in turn owned the World's Press News (now Campaign) and some other journals. I assume the OP has already seen this since it's the only result for the company name on Google apart from this thread.

Presumably Hatchards went bust in the 1950s, although someone must have bought the World's Press News title from the administrators, as it continued under that name until it was bought up by Haymarket in the 60s.

As TBagpuss says, it's unlikely the OP's grandfather had any significant involvement with the company if that is the only mention in his papers. Why he'd be interested in the liquidation is anyone's guess. Do his papers mention World's Press News, Weymouth Press or any other news publications?
  • Biblio
    Biblio Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, no there was nothing else with the papers as my father was having a clear out last week when the note fell onto the floor.

None of what you've mentioned including the Hansard one rings a bell with him as he was the sole heir....

Thank you for your time again. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport