Wanting to start a business, but my credit history is very poor

Options
Hi all

I am looking to start a pet supplies business, but my credit history is very poor and I am unemployed

I do not have any funds of my own to invest

I have spoken to NEA (National Enterprise Allowance), but they said I would encounter the same problem with them, and to come back when I have the funds to start up

I am to old for the Prince's Trust Enterprise Scheme

I have tried several loan companies, but been rejected

Only loan companies offering me a loan seem to be scammers, as they want the first months repayment up front,, due to my bad credit, which I am not falling for

I need some help here as going into business for myself seems to be the only option at the moment as I can't work due to my partners Learning Difficulties, and she can't be at home alone without worrying and getting upset about it, we have applied for PIP but she apparently does not qualify for it

I want to start a business so she can come with me, and then she does not have to be left alone

I really need some help here, please

Thanks

TT

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 March 2017 at 9:06PM
    Options
    As you have found out you need to have your own capitol to get anywhere. You would be better off looking for a business eg a corner shop(or a pub with a living arrangements upstairs) looking for someone else to run it as the current person is retiring but this wouldn't give you an option of running a pet supplies business.

I don't know any other options I'm afraid.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have a funny feeling that you've not done any market research or rudimentary business plan because if you had you'd know the idea was dead in the water along with things like starting a computer repair business and opening the 50th Pizza shop in your town.

The pet supplies market is flooded thanks to pet food manufacturers offering schemes where any Tom, !!!! or Harry can phone them up and tell them they want to buy 1000 25k bags with their own name and logo on.
  • topaztiger1983
    Options
    I think that is a bit harsh Tarambor, you know nothing about me
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    To get a "proper"loan e.g from a bank they will expect you to have at least 50% of the cash needed to put into the business. Did she appeal the PIP decision?
  • topaztiger1983
    Options
    Yes she did appeal still said not, going to go to tribunal but not hopeful
  • MoneySaver123
    Options
    What are the names of the loan companies asking for upfront payment? I can potentially tell you if they are legit or not being in this industry.
  • topaztiger1983
    Options
    UK Fast Loans and Panda Loans
  • MoneySaver123
    Options
    Yeah, I'd give both a wide berth. And these are personal loans - you're better off looking for business finance but as you already understand, a small startup isn't attractive to a lender, especially if you've got no experience.

Do you have a network? Perhaps you could buy a small amount of popular/fast moving stock and sell to your network plus friends and family, reinvesting the profits. Once you've done this for a year or so you will have more options. More importantly, you'll be able to tell if the idea is going to make money and you'll learn valuable information from speaking to your customers directly.
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Presumably you have written a business plan together with all the financial projections required to put before potential loan providers?

Yes, of course you have.:eek:

The pet supply industry these days has been taken over by the big boy pet superstores who wouldn't buy a thing from you.

Sorry, but you are daydreaming if you think this will ever get off the ground.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Richey_
    Richey_ Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    Panda Loans are a pay day loan company who charge around 1737% interest and the maximum they will lend you is £1000 for thirty days.

Would you be able to get a business off the ground with your capital fully replayed (plus 1737% interest) within 30 days plus take a wage and cover all overheads, vehicle, bills etc?

I'm no business expert, but that would seem a massive challenge . Not only do you need to sell a lot of dog food, you would need an immediate substantial customer base and a huge profit margin....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure