Now or after Brexit?

Options
Hello,

I am investing in a global shares fund (Vanguard), a cash fund (Henderson) and a property fund (BlackRock). I have a bit money I want to put to work... the question is, is it better to invest it now or after next week when May invokes article 50? (i.e. can my money buy more shares now and therefore better or will the shares be too expensive now?)

Thanks,

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    is it better to invest it now or after next week when May invokes article 50?

What difference do you think it will make?
    can my money buy more shares now and therefore better or will the shares be too expensive now?

The triggering of Article 50 will not make any difference.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    carcasal wrote: »
    Hello,

I am investing in a global shares fund (Vanguard), a cash fund (Henderson) and a property fund (BlackRock). I have a bit money I want to put to work... the question is, is it better to invest it now or after next week when May invokes article 50? (i.e. can my money buy more shares now and therefore better or will the shares be too expensive now?)

Thanks,
    depends where blackrock investing
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • BLB53
    BLB53 Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    Options
    How long will you be investing your money?
  • coyrls
    coyrls Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There would probably be an effect on the market (up or down), if she didn't invoke article 50. What makes you think that markets haven't noticed that the UK is going to invoke article 50 towards the end of March and that there will be a reaction when it happens?
  • carcasal
    Options
    I see it as a long term investment. I don't intend to withdraw the money any time soon
  • carcasal
    Options
    Well my initial thought was about the pound getting weaker and therefore buying less shares, not necessarily about the funds since they are global
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 March 2017 at 10:22PM
    Options
    carcasal wrote: »
    Hello,

Thanks,

lol sounds like the Moneybox app and is exactly what my Moneybox Fox strategy invests in.

Depends on your strategy and what you are comfortable with. Personally, I already own two static caravans and a double unit mobile home is available which with finance I can afford which will virtually double my rental income. But I'm holding off until the final Brexit deal is agreed which as I understand it will be two years away. Being in France is relevant.

There could be some market jitters when Brexit is announced which will make the market cheaper. On the other hand maybe not since most people will be aware that Brexit is due to be announced so if there is going to be jitters it would have already happened. However the FTSE 100 today is up 4.85 while the pound has slipped after a week of gains. Is that an indication of the Pound being affected by the Brexit announcement? But overall I would wait and see what the market does. It's not really much of a wait.
  • carcasal
    Options
    Yes that's exactly what I am using although I haven't really put much money, so I am wanting to put a bigger sum and see how it performs!

You are right with the FTSE 100 and that's my main reason to wait, the question was if the pound falls catastrophically and then the value of shares spikes... anyway we cannot know for sure but thanks for the help!
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Prediction - The market wont do anything very much, perhaps go up a bit in response to the formal Brexit letter.

Why? Well everybody knows that it's going to happen. So if it worried them they would have sold already. Other people will have held off buying until it has happened. So when they start buying prices will rise.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Linton wrote: »
    Prediction - The market wont do anything very much, perhaps go up a bit in response to the formal Brexit letter.

Why? Well everybody knows that it's going to happen. So if it worried them they would have sold already. Other people will have held off buying until it has happened. So when they start buying prices will rise.

Maybe but not necessarily. Could be that they are waiting until the last minute because there is still some doubt over when and if Brexit will be triggered. It doesn't take very much to spook the market. one institution sells, they all sell. In fact I'm counting on it because right now my cash is out of my instant access accounts and in my current account. But really just wishful thinking but I could get my wish. Long shot.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure