Income support and carers allowance

Options
Last week my husband had his ESA stopped. We were told that i could claim carers allowance and income support but I would have to to carers allowance first and that could take weeks. When I said what were we supposed to live on she said we'd have to wait on it coming through. We have kids and bills to pay and good to buy. I don't know how we are supposed to manage.
Surely we can get some sort of help? They can't leave us with nothing can they?

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    If you can claim Carers Allowance your husband must be in receipt of, or applied for PIP. Assuming he is claiming PIP / DLA and you care for him for 35 hours per week or more, you need to make a claim for Carers Allowance as soon as possible. Once you have made the claim for CA you can then claim Income Support. CA doesn't have to be in payment in order to receive Income Support, there just needs to be evidence on the CA system that it has been claimed.
    The process shouldn't take weeks.
    As for how you cope in the meantime, I can only suggest speaking to your local Citizens Advice for assistance.
    Has your husband requested a Mandatory Reconsideration of his ESA claim and if that failed, put in an appeal? If not, he needs to do that immediately.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Littlelola wrote: »
    Last week my husband had his ESA stopped. We were told that i could claim carers allowance and income support but I would have to to carers allowance first and that could take weeks. When I said what were we supposed to live on she said we'd have to wait on it coming through. We have kids and bills to pay and good to buy. I don't know how we are supposed to manage.
    Surely we can get some sort of help? They can't leave us with nothing can they?
    Was he found fit for work?

You can only claim Carers Allowance if he claims PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care. Or someone else you look after claims any of these. You could claim Income Support after the CA claim is successful.

You can also claim Income Support if you have a child under the sage of 5. If you do then you don't have to claim CA to claim it.

If you area is a full Universal Credit are then it would be this you'll have to claim and not the old legacy benefits. Check here, by putting your post code in. https://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate

If you can't claim Carers Allowance and your area isn't a full Universal Credit area then he can claim JSA.

If he has got found fit for work then he needs to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) within 1 month from the date of the decision. He'll need to put the request in writing stating what he disagrees with and why.

These links are the WRAG and Support Group descriptors. He needs to look at them and decide which gorup he think he should be placed in. 15 points are needed for WRAG or reg29. Support Group he needs to staisfy at least 1 of those Support Group descriptors, or reg 35. He can contact CAB or any other disability advice centre for help with this.

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/1354-work-related-activity-group-descriptors
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/1353-support-group-descriptors
  • Littlelola
    Options
    Sorry I didn't explain myself properly. The carers allowance is for me caring for my son. The job centre said as he had been awarded dla and I cared for him I should be entitled to it. We should have been getting it for a whole year but didn't know. We don't know much about claiming as this is all new to us. My husband got ESA stoped and we are going to put in for mandatory reconsideration as the letter we got back sounded like they were talking about a different person. Hardly anything we told them was written down like we said it. Everything seemed to get twisted. Anyway he isn't fit to go back to his job and can't get jobseekers so I have to put in for carers and income support for myself and three children.
    I'm grateful if anyone can help.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    Littlelola wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't explain myself properly. The carers allowance is for me caring for my son. The job centre said as he had been awarded dla and I cared for him I should be entitled to it. We should have been getting it for a whole year but didn't know. We don't know much about claiming as this is all new to us. My husband got ESA stoped and we are going to put in for mandatory reconsideration as the letter we got back sounded like they were talking about a different person. Hardly anything we told them was written down like we said it. Everything seemed to get twisted. Anyway he isn't fit to go back to his job and can't get jobseekers so I have to put in for carers and income support for myself and three children.
    I'm grateful if anyone can help.
    If your son claim mid/high rate care DLA then yes you can claim Carers Allowance. Youu won't be able to back date it for the length of the DLA award though. I think 3 months is the longest it can be back dated for, in this case. If you had claimed it when he got his DLA award then it would have been back dated to the start of the award. If he does claim the above then you can claim CA online. For Income Suport follow the advice in post #2.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    You can't claim Income Support for you children, only for your husband and yourself. Child benefit and tax credits are for your children. As i see by your other post the other day you already claim tax credits for your children.

Your other thread about ESA is here. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5790394
  • Littlelola
    Options
    We will see what they say at job centre interview tomorrow.my husband hasn't claimed anything in thirty years as he's always worked. It's a shock to the system all this we don't know what we are doing
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    You can't claim Income Support for you children, only for your husband and yourself.

Your other thread about ESA is here. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5790394

She can claim Income Support as a Carer irrespective of who she is caring for. IS for carer is not restricted to caring for the partner.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    She can claim Income Support as a Carer irrespective of who she is caring for. IS for carer is not restricted to caring for the partner.
    Yes, i know that. I was stating that the Income Support doesn't include money for the children. The OP stated that they wanted to claim IS for theirself and 3 children and that's not correct.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Options
    Your husband could claim CA for your son while you could get a job, although, obviously, that would affect IS.
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    You can't claim Income Support for you children, only for your husband and yourself. Child benefit and tax credits are for your children. As i see by your other post the other day you already claim tax credits for your children.

Have you informed tax credits about your son's DLA to ensure you are getting the child disability element?

IQ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport