Our attempt at being MF!!

Options

Comments

• yukkibear
    yukkibear Posts: 5,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's difficult at this time of year to keep on top and overpay anything I find. Good luck with your TT's
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you, hopefully TT's can start tomorrow as it's payday and the account should look a lot better!

I have been driving myself mad wondering whether to move or not but don't want to spend anymore major money on here even though we have decided to stay put. We really need a fourth bedroom though and the two don't seem to go hand in hand!

To-do list for tomorrow
    • Ring window company for price on one more window
    • Do account money switching
    • Pay 3 bills!
    • Make list of Christmas presents bought and work out what I still need to get
    • Possibly finish most of an assignment!
    • Set budget for the month.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • CathT
    Options
    Anyone remember me??? :D

I am back after falling off the wagon! In all honesty I have been incredibly busy with returning back to university but have already done 3 months of my training which means I am 1/4 of the way through! Also, nursery fees are crippling us as DS now goes full time :(.

However, I have made a new budget and on paper we should manage but somehow on the run up to Christmas we have had lots of spends including house and car repair expenses.

I have budgeted for everything excluding CC repayments (owe quite a bit on these as used a 0% card to fund last years house renovation) and now my wages have dropped and outgoings increased, so don't have as much free cash to clear them which was the plan!

We have £500 left a month after accounting for all but CC and anything the food and petrol account does not cover. This would also have to cover any 5 week months in terms of nursery costs (can't think of anything worse! :rotfl:)

I need to pay as much of this off the cards as possible but also withdraw some weekly family fun money to keep us sane!
  • CathT
    Options
    That post was getting quite lengthy without even mentioning being a MFW!

We are currently on a 2 year tracker at 2.09+base rate ending on March so I made the decision to commit to a 5 year fix at 2.99% with £499 fees. I was going to knock a couple of years off the term but due to high outgoings decided against this.

It gets a little confusing as when changed deal last time I extended term to 25 years but kept payments (by having regular OP) the same as original term which was 18 years. Therefore will do the same again and overpay if and when I can!

I promise that when my youngest starts school in 2 years time, my OP's will be much more exciting!! :D:D:D
  • CathT
    Options
    Finance taken a blip! Need an even tighter budget so need to be more focused and read all your tips!
  • CathT
    Options
    Right I really am back this time. I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas. We had two solid family days together and it was brilliant. Lovely food eaten and games played. Only thing missing was an afternoon nap. :)

Have been going through are finances and things are a bit tight at the moment. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed so need to regain focus and steadily chip away at the cc and fast forward to DS starting school to save me a fortune!! :D

There won't be many mortgage OP's until September so I won't be joining any challenges and barely kept up to date with 2013. We can majorly catch up when nursery fees end!

January's plan is to get out of my overdraft!
  • yukkibear
    yukkibear Posts: 5,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welcome back. It's easy to forget around this time of year, but one of the best things about January is that I think it makes us focus a little more and make plans, so good luck with that OD. I'm sure I read somewhere it's free listing on E8ay so am going to investigate that one later to see if I was right
  • CathT
    Options
    Hi YB, January is definitely a month of planning. Here are my goals:

• Try and get January nursery bill under £700 by DH using AL and roping in grandparents!
    • Clear OD
    • Do not increase debt!
    • Get car window fixed (unbudgeted)
    • Have a wine free month (money and calorie saving!)
    • Submit 2 assignments (as yet not finished)
  • CathT
    Options
    I am tracking our food and petrol spends for the month (ends 22/1/14) and we are at £67.77 so far. I have been overcharged for a party present though and bought some work trousers that are far too short so will return/sort them this morning.

I also bought a couple of items in the n3xt sale I don't really need so will return those too.

I have cancelled our mortgage OP until our outgoings reduce. This is a year of survival, my course and nursery costs! Everything will get better from September and 9 months really isn't long. Then when DS starts school I can throw £500+ a month at the mortgage.

This year is just a blip but I need you all to keep me focused and chip away at the CC and mortgage where possible. :D

Car repair arranged for next week and think that's going to cost around £100 :mad:
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good to see you cath, best of luck for the new year :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback