MSE News: 'We need to change your meter'...

Options

Comments

• dgp1000
    dgp1000 Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 31 January 2018 at 10:55AM
    Options
    I just told EDF that I would wait until they were installing SMETS 2 meters. No point in having old tech which doesn’t work across different suppliers. There is no guarantee SMETS 1 meters can be upgraded. They were quite happy with this and haven’t bothered me since. I guess they’ve a load of old stock they want to shift.

I’ve now switched to Bulb and they won’t be installing anything until SMETS 2 meters are available.

For those who are worrying about differential pricing across the day. The whole point of this is to encourage people to change their consumption patterns to even out the load on the system and reduce the number of power stations needed. Large consumers already do this using Half Hourly meters.

This is particularly important given the Govt. wants to increase the number of electric vehicles on the road. If everyone charged up at peak times, the system wouldn’t cope.
  • edwal13
    edwal13 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It's always the same story these days from the companies, government, etc, we are doing this for customers' benefit. If you believe that, you probably vote a certain way.....everything is done for THEIR BENEFIT .....but in the long run the customer will pick up the bill.

I've monitored my domestic usage of gas, electric and water for years now and can see at a glance from data sheets I've kept exactly what my average daily usage of everything has been at any time. It's not rocket science to collect the data then understand what your continual usage is. And your bills are a record too. Stop wasting water unnecessarily, turn your heating thermostat down a degree or two, control all electric appliances with some thought and then you'll save money. If you don't do this already then you won't refer to any smart meter either to get similar information but the suppliers will know even more about your habits than they do now....and you'll billed accordingly and more regularly even though a meter reader has lost their job!!!!
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    The' problem' is that your letter, and indeed the message being pushed out by most suppliers, is that this rollout programme is anything but voluntary. The worrying thing is that I can find no reference whatsoever to the programme being voluntary even on SmartGB Energy's website.

If smart meters are indeed voluntary then why is someone in authority within E.oN making statements such as:

“To support our commitment to Ofgem to install smart meters for our customer base by 2020" (Quote from MSE article dated 29 Jan)

In my opinion, it really is time that Ofgem got a grip on this by insisting that all suppliers use a standard form of words in their smart meter offers which includes a very clear statement that smart meters are voluntary. Then again, pigs might fly.

Hello Hengus and thank you for your comments.

Just to let you know, as I posted yesterday, I've sent this thread upstairs to make the necessary people at E.ON aware of Forum sentiment on this topic.

To confirm, smart meters are optional and customers can refuse any offer to have them put in. We do mention this on our website in a couple of places. This includes on the page 'what is a smart meter?' and in the smart FAQs.

Thanks again for your input Hengus.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Midnighter wrote: »
    Same here. They rang to make an appointment several times towards the end of last year making it sound as though you HAD to have a smart meter fitted. This is despite us informing them that we rent, and asking if it was compulsory or not the first b****y time they rang!

Hello Midnighter and sorry you're unhappy with the contact you've received about our smart meters.

As I mentioned above to Pound (#19), if you let us know you don't want any further contact about these meters, we'll be happy to set your account so it stops.

Please give us a call, drop us an email or use the Live Chat service through our website. Alternatively, our twitter and Facebook advisors will be able to do this for you too. Helena and I are also here to help.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    A few months ago I finally thought I had reached the end of my patience with nPower and, at the time, Eon had a competitive tariff. I read a whole load of stuff on here about issues with their website/online accounts so decided to stick with the devil I know. Am I glad I did!

If it were not for MSE and several of the posters on this board, I would not know so-called "smart" meters are not compulsory, certainly not if I received a letter like the ones Eon have been sending out. Shame on you, Eon.

Hello Smodlet and thank you for your comments.

As I mentioned to Hengus above (#34), I've sent this thread to the people at E.ON looking at the communications we send to our customers.

Thank you again for taking the time to post.

Malc
  • Mr_Mann
    Mr_Mann Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When they invent one which takes a reading once a month I'll say yes. But every half an hour as they currently do is just spying. They will be able to tell when you're at home and when you're not, when you get up in the morning and when you go to bed at night. Just imaging when that gets into the wrong hands as it surely will as no system is completely unhackable (think Spectre and Meltdown for example, not James Bond films but recent security issues threatening nearly all computers, smartphone & tablets worldwide). An Englishman's home is supposed to be his castle, meaning a secure place of refuge, not one where you are being continually monitored. No it's not for me.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    To confirm, smart meters are optional and customers can refuse any offer to have them put in. We do mention this on our website in a couple of places. This includes on the page 'what is a smart meter?' and in the smart FAQs.
    A question, if I may please Malc.

I have no idea how old our leccy/gas meters are; as I understand it, they have a finite life and do at some point have to be replaced.

If smart meters are, as you say, voluntary, and we categorically do NOT want to have a smart meter, when our old meter eventually comes to the end of it's working life, can we have it replaced with a "new" standard meter?

Thanks.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
    Options
    Mr_Mann wrote: »
    When they invent one which takes a reading once a month I'll say yes. But every half an hour as they currently do is just spying. They will be able to tell when you're at home and when you're not, when you get up in the morning and when you go to bed at night. Just imaging when that gets into the wrong hands as it surely will as no system is completely unhackable (think Spectre and Meltdown for example, not James Bond films but recent security issues threatening nearly all computers, smartphone & tablets worldwide). An Englishman's home is supposed to be his castle, meaning a secure place of refuge, not one where you are being continually monitored. No it's not for me.

[FONT=&quot]Hello Mr Mann.

It's the customer's choice how much information is shared with us. For example, readings can be collected from smart meters on a monthly, daily or half hourly basis.

On installation, smart meters are set to collect readings remotely on a monthly basis unless the customer explicitly tells us differently. We use the readings to issue accurate bills and to record usage. This helps us work out how best to set up payment arrangements and to advise customers of ways to save money by saving energy. They're not used for any other purpose.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]For other options, customers can change their privacy preferences at any time. We’ll also remind them annually that they can update their data privacy preferences. It's down to the individual customer, though, as to how often we collect readings remotely.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    For independent advice about these options and choices, I'd talk to the Independent Commissioner's Office.

Malc[/FONT]
    Options
    LameWolf wrote: »
    A question, if I may please Malc.

I have no idea how old our leccy/gas meters are; as I understand it, they have a finite life and do at some point have to be replaced.

If smart meters are, as you say, voluntary, and we categorically do NOT want to have a smart meter, when our old meter eventually comes to the end of it's working life, can we have it replaced with a "new" standard meter?

Thanks.

Hello LameWolf and thank you for your question.

Yes, at the moment, if you categorically decide to reject the offer of smart meters when your existing meters come up for replacement, we'll fit classic meters that work in a similar way to those you have now.

I've just checked and this is current practice. Not sure if this will have changed by the time your meters are due to be replaced (electricity meters are designed to last between 10 and 30 years and gas meters last between 5 and 15 years). As it stands now, though, we'll fit a classic meter if you reject the offer of a smart meter.

Hope this answers your question LameWolf. Let me know if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]Hello Mr Mann.

It's the customer's choice how much information is shared with us. For example, readings can be collected from smart meters on a monthly, daily or half hourly basis.

On installation, smart meters are set to collect readings remotely on a monthly basis unless the customer explicitly tells us differently. We use the readings to issue accurate bills and to record usage. This helps us work out how best to set up payment arrangements and to advise customers of ways to save money by saving energy. They're not used for any other purpose.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]For other options, customers can change their privacy preferences at any time. We’ll also remind them annually that they can update their data privacy preferences. It's down to the individual customer, though, as to how often we collect readings remotely.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    For independent advice about these options and choices, I'd talk to the Independent Commissioner's Office.

Malc[/FONT]

One has to wonder for just how long it will be the customers' choice how often meter readings are sent from these smart meters. Why have the capacity for half-hourly readings unless the intention is to do just that? How long before some government or other decide the customer no longer has any choice about how their usage and therefore their movements are charted?

I trust these things less and less with every word I read on here. Obviously, this will apply to all suppliers, not just to Eon. I think the "smart" thing to do is to refuse them unconditionally. Those who are too lazy to submit monthly meter readings to their providers may pay estimated bills with my blessing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure