Appliances Online ao.com

Options
I ordered a new refrigerator from ao.com over on Friday to arrange delivery on Sunday, one of the few companies that offer free delivery on a weekend. Shortly after placing the order I get a text message telling me that my order was successful. Then I get a phone call from a friendly chap who seems like my best friend .... and then the sales pitch started 10 year guarantee for £x a month, free 24 hour support, replace like for like if unable to repair. I declined and the attitude changed. Fair enough, it's a sales call. Today, I get text messages to reply and proceed with my "credit application", then I get 3 phone calls from Vanquis , I never answered but tracked the number down. I never had any of these calls until I placed an order with ao.com and this was the only time I gave my mobile number for delivery sms updates.

So, ao.com, thanks for the speedy order and weekend delivery and especially a huge thanks for selling my details to other companies. The privacy policy on your website contradicts your actions: http://ao.com/services/security.aspx
"We strictly follow the Data Protection Act and we may use your personal details. However, this all depends on your response to Data Protection questions, which are analysed anonymously by DRL Limited."

Comments

• Hoof_Hearted
    Options
    I have ordered from them before. I did get a call about extended guarantees but that is all. Generally, very pleased with them in the past.
    Je suis sabot...
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ximian wrote: »
    So, ao.com, thanks for the speedy order and weekend delivery and especially a huge thanks for selling my details to other companies. The privacy policy on your website contradicts your actions: http://ao.com/services/security.aspx
    "We strictly follow the Data Protection Act and we may use your personal details. However, this all depends on your response to Data Protection questions, which are analysed anonymously by DRL Limited."
    Did you complain directly to AO? Could it just be a rogue salesperson?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 December 2013 at 10:56PM
    Options
    I got washing machine from them in October and have numerous cold calls from them, luckily truecall blocked them

Thee are complaints on them on various sites for cold calling I make sure that I always select not to be persisted if any site offers it

Capture22.jpg

[IMG]http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/<a href=http://postimg.org/image/bc0fq9zt9/ target=_blank rel=nofollow>[/img]a>
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I see someone else on here complained about silent calls from them-which they denied.
  • Hoof_Hearted
    Options
    I have ordered a few items from them. They are very efficient and prices are competitive. I have had one follow up call regarding extended guarantees. The offer was declined and that was it. I don't have a problem with them.
    Je suis sabot...
  • redmike123
    Options
    I have found them to be excellent, over the last couple of years we have bought a fridge and a washing machine from them with no bother at all. I recommend them to my friends.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Whilst I cant fault the service, washing machine came 7am on Sunday morning, I am not alone in thinking that its not on them calling afterwards to sell you insurance etc

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/01612350401
    http://www.whophonedme.co.uk/01612350401

Whilst I would use them again, I am fortunate now to block cold calls due to issues in past with other companies who blatantly think they have a God damn right to ring you up and try and sell you something.
  • Moglex
    Moglex Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was going to order something from them but immediately dropped them as a potential supplier when I saw they had a premium rate sales number.
  • RobertoMoir
    RobertoMoir Posts: 3,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had the sales call after buying a washing machine, no problems with the caller when I declined his offer and no problems afterwards. I was impressed actually - I decided my washing machine had finally died for good fairly late on Friday evening and was putting my first lot of washing through the new one by Saturday lunchtime, which seems like decent service to me.

Either co-incidence or a rogue employee in the OP's case, perhaps? Not good though, I agree, but not my experience with them.
    Moglex wrote: »
    I was going to order something from them but immediately dropped them as a potential supplier when I saw they had a premium rate sales number.

I simply didn't phone them, and did all my business via their website. That solved that particular problem for me, and given the amount of saving between their price for the washing machine I purchased and what many others were selling it for, I could drop them a call or two if I had to and still be getting a good deal.
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
  • SevenOfNine
    Options
    I had great service from them, bought a washing machine on-line but ordered wrong one. They cancelled & re-ordered correct model with no fuss & nothing but "no problem, don't worry" attitude. Relieved & impressed.

Got a good price, free delivery, free collection of old machine, £50 cashback, email, texts & call to confirm delivery time slot, but no attempt to sell me anything further. No increase in the volume of cold calling as far as I can tell.

If I were you OP, I'd comment on their Facebook page, your experience is quite different to mine.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure