work for a contract in a factory closing down

Options
I work as a cleaner for a contract. The place I clean is in administration and will be closed by May. The cleaning company I am employed by are obviously still in business.

I have asked them what will happen with me ( I work 30 hours). They say they'll see if they can get me a job somewhere else (will it have to be for the 30 hours? no one is answering me when I've spoken to them)

Also, if they can't they say I'll be made redundant. I asked them if that means I get redundancy pay (I've been there 7 years) and after about a week and me chasing them they've turned round and said they don't know! Great...

So what I want to know it can they just say that's it and not get any pay out? I've read my employee handbook and there's no mention of anything.

Thank You

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well some redundancy is protected by law, so obviously you'd get that
  • cheeseontoast12
    Options
    Oh, thank you, I didn't know that.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The cleaning company don't know because it will be 6 months before the factory closes and an awful lot can happen in 6 months.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • cheeseontoast12
    Options
    I guess so, do you mean factory may be taken over?
    thanks, it's good to hear it from other people.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The factory could be taken over or the cleaning company could land a new contract somewhere else
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Six months is a long time, start worrying in April if nothing has happened. Redundancy is payable, but I suspect they may have found a new job for you.
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure