Start an ironing service... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Options

Comments

• devon_guy
    devon_guy Posts: 292 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Seems a bit steep to me. Around here people either charge per bag or per hour.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There have been many discussions on pricing in the past here - and most people offer/experience "black dustbin bags" as the unit of measure and for pricing. Bigger items can be charged individually, but for "usual everyday items" a black bag seems easiest for most to price and attract customers as it keeps it simple.

It might be you're offering a more upmarket service, to a niche market in a small local area where individual pricing would work well for the demographics.... so the question is whether you've done enough local research to see what others are doing/offering.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Merged all the ironing threads into the original one
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • mitch3473
    mitch3473 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 August 2017 at 8:41PM
    Options
    I can never understand why someone would charge for ' a bin bag full '
    Charge per item, that way the client knows what they are being charged for and you know what you are working for. Tescos dont charge by the 'Trolley load'. If you charged me by the bin bag full I'd cram it so full you'd be working till midnight for peanuts.
  • DanahM
    Options
    Hello, sorry to bother you.
    I'm thinking of starting an ironing service in my local area but I have no idea where to start.
    Would I be right in saying that I need public liabitlity insurance?
    How do I declare it to inland revenue?
    Do you deliver the clothes back to the customer hung up with covers over the top?
    I'm sorry for all the questions I don't know anyone that has started they're own business so feel very lost.

Thanks in advance. X
  • DanahM
    Options
    I'm thinking of starting an ironing service in my local area but I have no idea where to start.
    Do you deliver the clothes back to the customer hung up with covers over the top?
    I'm sorry for all the questions I don't know anyone that has started they're own business so feel very lost.

Thanks in advance. X
  • mitch3473
    Options
    DanahM wrote: »

Thanks in advance. X

PL insurance is advisable just in case, it also looks good on your marketing literature.
    Regards your tax, it's best to speak to an accountant as a lot depends on your present earnings etc etc. That can be done once you're up and running.
    Hanging garments look well and are presentable if returned on cheap, plastic coated wire hangers and covered with polythene covers. Both are available on line and the polythene comes in various lengths. You'll probably get most of your hangers back off your regulars.
    For sweat shirts and polo shirts etc there are plastic folding devises available for a few quid on line ( you tube/ebay...shirt folders), they make the job easy and look very professional, return in poly bags, available on line. Look for ironing supplies. Seal the bags with small stickers with your details on them, again, it looks professional and it's easier than sticky tape.

Just as a side note.....whilst it may be advisable to start off with expensive irons we use a couple of Morphy Richards Breeze for finishing commercial linen as well as household laundry when they come out of the presses. They are on anything from 4-8 hrs a day and we've had them both for a couple of years now. Not bad for £20 each.
  • PrincessLou
    Options
    I've officially opened my ironing business this week. How long was it until you got your first client?

What is the best way of advertising these days? I have a facebook business page and have started advertising on local facebook pages on different days. Would a leaflet drop be a good idea?

Mortgage - £105,500
  • AutaB
    AutaB Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Is it best to get pl insurance when ironing other people's clothes? Just starting a small business and want too get it right!
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AutaB wrote: »
    Is it best to get pl insurance when ironing other people's clothes? Just starting a small business and want too get it right!

The post two before yours would suggest that public liability insurance would be a good idea
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure