How much savings are you allowed when applying for JSA?

Options

Comments

• karenx
    karenx Posts: 4,988 Forumite
    Options
    Im sure using savings for your day to day living is not wasting it.....
  • Metranil_Vavin
    Options
    what constitutes 'not wasting' savings then...?
    Metranil dreams of becoming a neon,
    You don't even take him seriously,
    How am I going to get to heaven?,
    When I'm just balanced so precariously..
  • unclekevin
    Options
    karenx wrote: »
    Im sure using savings for your day to day living is not wasting it.....

Maybe not but it seems that if you have savings your instantly labeled, as i have previously stated you get judged/criticized when all your asking for is advice.
  • karenx
    karenx Posts: 4,988 Forumite
    Options
    There has to be limits somewhere for these type of things, otherwise people with 50k or more in their bank would be claiming JSA and full housing benefit etc which is just not on.
    The limit has been set, under 6k you can claim, 6k-16k your benefits are deduced accordingly. Seems fair, as if you have money then you should be using it on day to day living and paying the bills. Why have money sitting there and not use it??
  • unclekevin
    Options
    karenx wrote: »
    There has to be limits somewhere for these type of things, otherwise people with 50k or more in their bank would be claiming JSA and full housing benefit etc which is just not on.
    The limit has been set, under 6k you can claim, 6k-16k your benefits are deduced accordingly. Seems fair, as if you have money then you should be using it on day to day living and paying the bills. Why have money sitting there and not use it??

I understand what your saying and i totally agree that if you have a substantial amount in the bank (i.e) more than £16,000 then it's not right that you should claim, apart from the usual bills to pay i also have a car which we know cost money to run and i know that i've got to tighten the purse strings. I just feel a little aggrieved, i was saving up to hopefully buy a house but i guess i will have to put that on hold.
  • Vader123
    Vader123 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    unclekevin wrote: »
    I understand what your saying and i totally agree that if you have a substantial amount in the bank (i.e) more than £16,000 then it's not right that you should claim, apart from the usual bills to pay i also have a car which we know cost money to run and i know that i've got to tighten the purse strings. I just feel a little aggrieved, i was saving up to hopefully buy a house but i guess i will have to put that on hold.

I don't think its other mindsets that need to change, its yours.

You have been saving money. you are now on hard times until you get another job.

You have been sacked from your last job and have 11K in savings.

What is savings for if not for emergencies or tight spots?

You can go on all you like about "being penalised" for saving, thats the rules.

As is often touted around here to those trying to help, this is about benefit entitlement, not policy.

There is no reason to get a "hardship" payment, as you are not in hardship.

Vader
  • unclekevin
    Options
    Vader123 wrote: »
    I don't think its other mindsets that need to change, its yours.

You have been saving money. you are now on hard times until you get another job.

You have been sacked from your last job and have 11K in savings.

What is savings for if not for emergencies or tight spots?

You can go on all you like about "being penalised" for saving, thats the rules.

As is often touted around here to those trying to help, this is about benefit entitlement, not policy.

There is no reason to get a "hardship" payment, as you are not in hardship.

Vader

I was saving up to buy a house that's why i have savings in my bank, it does feel like you are being penalized for saving as i could go cap in hand claiming i am on hard times after wasting money on things i didn't really need (i.e) expensive clothes, meals etc......
  • Jomo
    Jomo Posts: 8,253 Forumite
    Options
    unclekevin wrote: »
    I was saving up to buy a house that's why i have savings in my bank, it does feel like you are being penalized for saving as i could go cap in hand claiming i am on hard times after wasting money on things i didn't really need (i.e) expensive clothes, meals etc......

It's unfortunate but as you enabled yourself to get the sack from your job you have nobody to blame but yourself. Nobody wants to see their savings flutter away on normal day to day living costs but neither is it right to expect the tax payer to foot your bills when you are perfectly able to pay for yourself.

Life's a ****
  • elfen
    elfen Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Options
    OP, you got yourself the sack, you need to use your savings to live on, cos you won't get a penny for nearly half a year - dependant on sanction. And if you ask for a hardship payment with your savings, they'll probably tell you to live off them.
    ** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A crook who doesn't want to pay taxes but wants to claim benefits. Typical.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure